Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

Rising Star is a cool experience. Even though I haven't been in years I hope it sticks around.
Rising Star is a weird bird, as far as karaoke goes. There’s a much higher “confidence” bar to get onstage than anywhere else. On good nights, it means a steady stream of belters that slay every song they sing, interrupted by an occasional brave (or drunk) soul who is carried by an audience that is in a good mood because of the other performers. It’s more than cathartic on those nights. It’s good.

On bad nights, though. The MC and backup singers are dragging people to sing that don’t have the confidence or experience to adapt to a life band. It makes for awkward viewing.

Rising Star’s high is the best karaoke experience in the nation. But it’s lows are pretty damn low. And it has such a limited playlist, it doesn’t have the benefit of pure variety.

If it closes, I definitely think Universal would be lesser for it. But I also would completely understand why.

Rising Star is a cool experience. Even though I haven't been in years I hope it sticks around.

10 - 12 years ago, Rising Star felt like the "go-to" place for birthdays, bachelorette/bachelor parties, etc. I don't think I've seen it pop up on FB, Twitter or Insta in years. Part of that's me and my friend base getting older, of course, but I just have a sense it isn't what it once was.

From the Universal Orlando Passholder Group on Facebook:

87963575_2719836308131077_8806035643864973312_o.jpg

85195194_2719836401464401_4581580814533263360_o.jpg

85237809_2719836461464395_6231217782298509312_o.jpg

If we're expecting a switcharoo between the newly closed sites and the Universal store and then to have that Universal store turned into a restaurant, it sounds like a long wait before it opens.

If they do open just a bigger Universal store it better be themed to different lands with specific merch. So they have a HTTYD with toothless statue and Berk theme. Then classic monsters and so on. If it’s just a basic store like the others it s a huge waste.

Betting it's just a basic Universal super sized store....and it's a better location for them since everyone entering or departing the parking garage walks right past it. The present one is too small for it's prime location. It's close, but still far enough away that it's 'out of sight, out of mind'. This new one will make a killing.

Betting it's just a basic Universal super sized store....and it's a better location for them since everyone entering or departing the parking garage walks right past it. The present one is too small for it's prime location. It's close, but still far enough away that it's 'out of sight, out of mind'. This new one will make a killing.

I wonder how much of the 'shortcut' factored into their decision.

I don’t think whatever happens will involve food and drink.

I don't think it needs it.

I wonder how much of the 'shortcut' factored into their decision.

I don't think it needs it.
Shortcut plus size, probably.....no need to let 'competition' have the better location....Things have changed since 2010. Universal doesn't need, or probably want, competing retail in their monopoly environment. Since Potter, and increased attendance, I'm sure Universal retail sales have skyrocketed.....It's for all intent and purposes, 'One Universal' now.

I'm still going with them moving the Universal Store to the combined space, and an Epic Universe Preview Center going in the old Universal Store space.
This makes the most sense to me. New store likely won't be ready until the end of the year, or early 2021. Then quickly close the current Universal store and since its small, easy to convert to a preview center assuming all those things involved in that are ready to go. They've been promoting Beijing's 2021 opening since 2019, and previewing the park in more detail. I think a 2021 Epic Universe preview center in CityWalk for that summer and thru summer of 2022 is not a bad move. Gives them time to come up with a new concept for that space as well.

I'm still going with them moving the Universal Store to the combined space, and an Epic Universe Preview Center going in the old Universal Store space.
I didn't understand the point of having a Preview Center with this day and age of media everywhere, but not gonna lie... that Epcot preview in The Odyssey got me pretty hype.

I didn't understand the point of having a Preview Center with this day and age of media everywhere, but not gonna lie... that Epcot preview in The Odyssey got me pretty hype.
People like to see things like models up close and not in pictures on the internet. Add in projection mapping like the Epcot thing, and it gets people even more excited