Comcast to potentially buy part of Warner/Discovery in future | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Comcast to potentially buy part of Warner/Discovery in future

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's always seemed to me that DC is more popular with the hard core internet theme park fans then it is with the general public. I doubt the GP gives a damn about DC. A minor IP issue at best. It sure hasn't done much to help Six Flags.
lol

Six Flags theme even in DC area feels like a cheap carnival and they are aiming for the "go fast" crowd

Make a Batman dark ride at USH and it will easily have 2-3 hour lines during peak season

Last edited:
lol

Six Flahs theme even in DC area feels like a cheap carnival and they are aiming for the "go fast" crowd

Make a Batmn dark ride at USH and it will easily have 2-3 hour lines during peak season
With how few decent rides are in the tiny USH, any E new ticket would get 2 to 3 hour lines during peak season. :lol:

With how few decent rides are in the tiny USH, any E new ticket would get 2 to 3 hour lines during peak season. :lol:
lol

I guess but put it at IOA or any universal park and it will do well. The point is six flags goes for the lowest common guest and Universal and Disney guests want detailed rides and love IP rides.
I know people want new IPs but most the time people just want to be in a world where characters they like are brought to life

lol

I guess but put it at IOA or any universal park and it will do well. The point is six flags goes for the lowest common guest and Universal and Disney guests want detailed rides and love IP rides.
I know people want new IPs but most the time people just want to be in a world where characters they like are brought to life
Sure, a good ride would do well in IOA, new rides have all done well there. But any DC is unnecessarily redundant when you already have the superior, and much more popular, Marvel IP....And yes, Six Flags has not properly themed
their DC rides, except for the Green Lantern dark ride that has ended up being a long term failure for a number of reasons, maintenance being one.

The DC Movies have been handled so poorly that idk how you even start with a DC land. They'd almost need to reboot the movies, but the last thing that needs is another reboot. Granted we are talking 10 years down the road before a land would theoretically open, so plenty of time to let the public forget and start over.

The DC Movies have been handled so poorly that idk how you even start with a DC land. They'd almost need to reboot the movies, but the last thing that needs is another reboot. Granted we are talking 10 years down the road before a land would theoretically open, so plenty of time to let the public forget and start over.
Batman Dark ride....like Spiderman at IOA. Doesn't need to connect to the film use the basic Batman the Animated Series characters as models for everything.

We also can make a Justice League ride hat can focus more on Flash, Green Lantern, Superman and Wonderwoman

Hell honestly a Wonderwoman area with "trials" as flat rides and basic thrills will work. DC movies aren't the only thing being put out the animated films up into recently were loved by most people and the Batman games not only sell well but as just amazing.

I

I grew up with Marvel's Silver Age (60's/70's) Back then Marvel was all the rage with college kids. DC, with it's corny stories, was the brand of little kids , not unlike Archie comics. Marvel
stories were real society/culture oriented. (Note: I have over 4,000 Marvels from the 60's, 70's 80's early 90's. I have a few dozen or so DC comics)Though DC tried to upgrade their storyline over the decades, their heroes and stories never approached Marvel. DC's performance has never achieved the success that it's ribald internet community imagines it to be. Let DC rest in piece. Marvel remains one of the crown jewel of theme parks. Universal should never give it up for
the vastly inferior DC world.

At what point do we consider people’s opinion on the internet to be equal to their feelings in real life? It’s a weighted discussion. Mad Dog your personal experience with the product and it’s history of development make sense with your personal opinion. I’m hard pressed to find a “most popular Superhero” poll without Batman in the top 3. Spider-Man is almost always #1. Marvel’s popularity is unparalleled in current film/television standards. But I don’t think we should forget why Universal was able to get that contract as easily as it did in the 90s.

As a character/specific IP, Batman continues to be popular across the globe, even among casual fans. What these corporations have done with the DC IP overall is a different story.

Reactions: JS610
lol

Six Flags theme even in DC area feels like a cheap carnival and they are aiming for the "go fast" crowd

Make a Batman dark ride at USH and it will easily have 2-3 hour lines during peak season
Six Flags under Time Warner actually did some great stuff that was on par with Universal at the time. Since then Six Flags has declined (through poor management) and Universal has vastly improved. The original Batman the Ride coasters in 1992-96 with full theme elements were as good as Hulk when it opened in 1999.

Six Flags under Time Warner actually did some great stuff that was on par with Universal at the time. Since then Six Flags has declined (through poor management) and Universal has vastly improved. The original Batman the Ride coasters in 1992-96 with full theme elements were as good as Hulk when it opened in 1999.
Sadly, im too young to remember that. I've been on the ride but it was years after it was just a shell of what it could have been.

Honestly an inside Batman coaster could be....amazing as well. DC has lots of fun IPs and if Universal gets them...maybe a Sandman maze could find its way to HHN as well

Per what I can find. Superman and Batman are number 2 and 3. The reason the films have failed is because DC had no leadership and still doesn't and let Zach Snyder try to make Superman...dark when he doesn't have to be to work (look at Spiderman who is another none dark hero)
Not debating popularity of Superman/Batman, but DC's problem is that it was inherently aimed at a young juvenile audience. Most of their characters are from that era and they're hard to write for an older audience without coming across as campy,
unrealistic, or too dark when they try to go the dark route....Marvel was a very small company in the 60's when Stan Lee went up against the huge corporate juggernaut that was DC. As an alternative, he developed characters that were like real
life people with real life problems. And it clicked instantly with a much older audience than DC had. So those initial characters, that are the bulk of the Disney/Marvel Universe, have characters and backgrounds that are very relatable to the core
movie and theme park audience. Before Disney, the people making the various Marvel movies tried to do them like DC characters, but that proved unsuccessful except for a film or two. Disney/Marvel took full advantage of these unique characters, and
with a few minor adaptations to update some origins, wrote stories taking advantage of their characters and the realistic way they reacted to events. Great success. Could Disney have done the same if they had DC instead of Marvel? My opinion, and of course that's what forums are about, is that it probably would have not worked out as well as Marvel. Disney did Star Wars films with a 'weak' group of characters. Hard to write for a weak character, and the films, while successful at the box office, proved very fleeting in popularity. There may well be a legit reason why 'so many' (with lots of talent) have failed 'so many' times to get DC going. Namely, a problematic cast of characters that has more appeal with juveniles than an older audience.....Marvel characters still translates well to real people and their problems. Stan Lee hit the nail on the head. Still amazes me what he did. He wrote most of the stories, and back then comics had tons of dialogue, not like today's almost all artwork issues. Marvel operated out of a tiny office, with mostly freelance contributors. Back in the day you could stop by and visit the office unannounced. I was in college and in NYC for a couple days. My brother and I stopped by, and Stan Lee was there and welcomed us. If I recall the office was a small reception area and two or three offices. That was it. An empire built on the workaholic habits of Stan Lee, bless his soul.

Reactions: JoeCamel and Nico
@Mad Dog , I see what you’re saying. But I also don’t see how IPs that are aimed at a “juvenile” audience don’t serve theme parks, or Universal specifically. An evergreen IP for kids sounds like exactly what Universal needs.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Not debating popularity of Superman/Batman, but DC's problem is that it was inherently aimed at a young juvenile audience. Most of their characters are from that era and they're hard to write for an older audience without coming across as campy,
unrealistic, or too dark when they try to go the dark route....Marvel was a very small company in the 60's when Stan Lee went up against the huge corporate juggernaut that was DC. As an alternative, he developed characters that were like real
life people with real life problems. And it clicked instantly with a much older audience than DC had. So those initial characters, that are the bulk of the Disney/Marvel Universe, have characters and backgrounds that are very relatable to the core
movie and theme park audience. Before Disney, the people making the various Marvel movies tried to do them like DC characters, but that proved unsuccessful except for a film or two. Disney/Marvel took full advantage of these unique characters, and
with a few minor adaptations to update some origins, wrote stories taking advantage of their characters and the realistic way they reacted to events. Great success. Could Disney have done the same if they had DC instead of Marvel? My opinion, and of course that's what forums are about, is that it probably would have not worked out as well as Marvel. Disney did Star Wars films with a 'weak' group of characters. Hard to write for a weak character, and the films, while successful at the box office, proved very fleeting in popularity. There may well be a legit reason why 'so many' (with lots of talent) have failed 'so many' times to get DC going. Namely, a problematic cast of characters that has more appeal with juveniles than an older audience.....Marvel characters still translates well to real people and their problems. Stan Lee hit the nail on the head. Still amazes me what he did. He wrote most of the stories, and back then comics had tons of dialogue, not like today's almost all artwork issues. Marvel operated out of a tiny office, with mostly freelance contributors. Back in the day you could stop by and visit the office unannounced. I was in college and in NYC for a couple days. My brother and I stopped by, and Stan Lee was there and welcomed us. If I recall the office was a small reception area and two or three offices. That was it. An empire built on the workaholic habits of Stan Lee, bless his soul.
I mean Batman works for anyone, The animated series kids watched it but if you watch it now as an adult its almost better which is great and honestly how more "kids" content should be made.

I think DC can work for kids and adults just as easy as marvel. It will be all about who is the leader and I trust Universal a little more then DC at this point.....though my only concern is Universal has tried three times at making a Monsters Universe and failing each time. But to be fair those movies were just bad on their own and if they made like 4 great monster films and then teamed them all up cool.

Anyway if somehow Universal gets DC its a gold mine if they do it right they can easily make a new Batman and Superman show then Justice League Show (focusing on the main heros) and then reboot Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited (having stories with the bigger hero's but allowing green arrow, question, and buster gold some time to shine) They can even go more and do a new Young Justice/Teen Titans along with maybe a Suicide Squad Show. At least for Peacock they have lotttsssss of characters and stories to tell and Greg Weisman and Bruce Tim still want to tell more animated stories but....DC and HBO suck.

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
DC is aimed at the same audience as Marvel is courting, generally. To call it juvenile is to not understand the IP.

Does anyone understand the DC IP (except for Batman)? Probably why it has never really worked out......Cartoon World, including DC ....original concept for IOA. says a lot.......DC is worthless except for Batman....I'd rather have Looney Tunes than DC, if having a choice. ...DC is redundant and way less valuable than Marvel....
Better to just add another Marvel attraction to the area around the rarely used, except for a few cheerleading, etc. dates, Toon Lagoon theater.

Reactions: Disneyhead
I

I grew up with Marvel's Silver Age (60's/70's) Back then Marvel was all the rage with college kids. DC, with it's corny stories, was the brand of little kids , not unlike Archie comics. Marvel
stories were real society/culture oriented. (Note: I have over 4,000 Marvels from the 60's, 70's 80's early 90's. I have a few dozen or so DC comics)Though DC tried to upgrade their storyline over the decades, their heroes and stories never approached Marvel. DC's performance has never achieved the success that it's ribald internet community imagines it to be. Let DC rest in piece. Marvel remains one of the crown jewel of theme parks. Universal should never give it up for
the vastly inferior DC world.

Marvel has it great with movies.

DC has it great with their animated works* and video games (Arkham and Injustice).

I haven’t too many comics yet, but from reading opinions online the consensus for both Marvel and DC is that the early-1980s comics were fantastic but nowadays they’re both a mixed bag through continuity problems, questionable writing choices, and (especially in DC’s case) occasional bouts of try-hard edgelord material (Identity Crisis and Civil War comes to mind).

*Except for the DC Animated Movie Universe. Supposedly it’s just as problematic as the live action movies.

Does anyone understand the DC IP (except for Batman)? Probably why it has never really worked out......Cartoon World, including DC ....original concept for IOA. says a lot.......DC is worthless except for Batman....I'd rather have Looney Tunes than DC, if having a choice. ...DC is redundant and way less valuable than Marvel....
Better to just add another Marvel attraction to the area around the rarely used, except for a few cheerleading, etc. dates, Toon Lagoon theater.

Maybe Superman could be viable? They could use the DCAU as inspiration.

Last edited:
Maybe Superman could be viable? They could use the DCAU as inspiration.
Or…. Hear me out… Universal could go the evergreen way (if they ever acquire DC) and do exactly what they did with Marvel and base a land off of the comics. Actors in the films change too often.

So basically, do a DC area where you have mini lands of Gotham City (for Batman and Joker), Metropolis (for Superman), Themyscira (for Wonder Woman), Atlantis (Aquaman), etc, etc. These are all very different aesthetics to base rides/minilands on and you still get to use characters that are popular now while not comitting to any specific actor/actress. Seems like a no-brainer.

Marvel was the edgy upstart to take on Detective Comics' reign in 1961. But DC invented the "Superhero" archetype with Superman way back in 1938.

From the '50s Superman TV series with George Reeves, and the '60s Adam West Batman, to the Christopher Reeves Superman movies in the late '70s, through Tim Burton's '89 Batman reboot, DC was the mainstream pop culture Superheroes. Marvel was mostly relegated to actual comic book readers and Saturday Morning cartoons (Spiderman). Yes, we did have The Hulk show with Bill Bixby in the late '70s but that really didn't put "Marvel" into the cultural zeitgeist. That didn't happen until Jon Favreau/RDJ's 2008 Ironman.

But the recent successes of the Nolan's Batman trilogy, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Joker, Robert Pattinson's The Batman, and even Shazam shows that DC still has cultural relevance and therefore would be advantages for Universal to have in their arsenal if available IPs.

You also mentioned Looney Toons. Now that is totally an untapped gold mine. While WB has had a hard time figuring out what to do with DC, they have totally given up on Looney Toons. Aside from the new Space Jam and "The New Looney Toons" (didn't even know it existed until I looked it up) on HBO Max, what have they done with LT? Almost nothing. Sad. I would love to see some new shorts thrown out on the Web like the new Mickey and Minnie shorts or The Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody. LT is to Disney animation what Marvel was to DC. The edgy upstart who plays to more complex/adult sensibilities. And as far as the parks are concerned, a perfect counterpoint for Universal to the animated mouse down the road.

In short, in the right hands, the WB's IPs would be a good purchase for Universal.

Marvel was the edgy upstart to take on Detective Comics' reign in 1961. But DC invented the "Superhero" archetype with Superman way back in 1938. From the '50s Superman TV series with George Reeves, and the '60s Adam West Batman, to the Christopher Reeves Superman movies in the late '70s, through Tim Burton's '89 Batman reboot, DC was the mainstream pop culture Superheroes. Marvel was mostly relegated to actual comic book readers and Saturday Morning cartoons (Spiderman). Yes, we did have The Hulk show with Bill Bixby in the late '70s but that really didn't put "Marvel" into the cultural zeitgeist. That didn't happen until Jon Favreau/RDJ's 2008 Ironman. But the recent successes of the Nolan's Batman trilogy, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Joker, and Robert Pattinson's The Batman show that DC still has cultural relevance and therefore would be advantages for Universal to have in their arsenal if available IPs.

You also mentioned Looney Toons. Now that is totally an untapped gold mine. While WB has had a hard time figuring out what to do with DC, they have totally given up on Looney Toons. Aside from the new Space Jam and "The New Looney Toons" (didn't even know it existed until I looked it up) on HBO Max, what have they done with LT? Almost nothing. Sad. I would love to see some new shorts thrown out on the Web like the new Mickey and Minnie shorts or The Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody. LT is to Disney animation what Marvel was to DC. The edgy upstart who plays to more complex/adult sensibilities. And as far as the parks are concerned, a perfect counterpoint to the animated mouse down the road.

In short, in the right hands, the WB's IPs would be a good purchase for Universal.
Yes, much could be done with Looney Tunes. It's a strength where Universal could take advantage through various media and the parks also.