Comcast to potentially buy part of Warner/Discovery in future | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Comcast to potentially buy part of Warner/Discovery in future

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Basically all of the old MGM film library minus the "classics" that still have value as film/merchandise (Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, etc.)
Can't wait for Bain Capital or some other ghouls to end up with the rights to An American in Paris or Zabriskie Point.

This is going to end with Zaz selling HBO and pawning off the rest of the company off to Apollo. As soon as he gets sick of the press coverage or pisses off enough people that the parties aren't fun anymore, he'll drop it like a hot potato.

The article also reveals that Gunn wanted Superman Legacy to be Superman story first and foremost but Zaslav pushed for more DC characters to be included as a way to showcase the new DCU to a potential buyer, in this case most likely Universal.

Reactions: SeventyOne

The article also reveals that Gunn wanted Superman Legacy to be Superman story first and foremost but Zaslav pushed for more DC characters to be included as a way to showcase the new DCU to a potential buyer, in this case most likely Universal.
Lollllll

I kinda called this. I wanted a story about....Superman and felt like just another Hero universe with all the hero's announced

My Adventures with Superman, also was limited on which villains.hero's could appear in the show...and it worked out for the best. The show will be back for another season and did very well with the demo groups most media groups want....so yeah lets stop the CEO's from forcing characters into things that they don't need to be and focus on making the best stories we can

Reactions: SeventyOne

Probs not the best source, BIC is just another culture warrior ragebait rag.

Gonna bring this up—the article brings up a random YT source on the bit UC6 is referring too—but I am gonna guess that shouldn’t be talked about.

Bumping this--I believe this will be the month to see what the moves are in WBD; as the year period since the merger of Discovery and WB began as approved.

Hoping this doesn't happen--but I know there has been talk before from big trades on employees from the WB lot expecting this reality.

Bumping this--I believe this will be the month to see what the moves are in WBD; as the year period since the merger of Discovery and WB began as approved.

Hoping this doesn't happen--but I know there has been talk before from big trades on employees from the WB lot expecting this reality.
Would Zaslav get purged if NBCU bought WBD or would he have to be voted out? If this merger does indeed happen Zaslav has to go.

NBCU technically doesn't have a CEO right now (all top execs report to Comcast President Mike Cavanaugh), so should that particular merger happen, Zaslav would theoretically be in plum position for the CEO role.

That having been said, Zaslav has underdelivered on his promises (he continually missed EBITDA targets the whole of last year) and there's rumors that his benefactors are losing some patience with him, so who knows. Regardless, a potential merger leaves Comcast pulling the strings, so he might end up on a short leash either way.

NBCU technically doesn't have a CEO right now (all top execs report to Comcast President Mike Cavanaugh), so should that particular merger happen, Zaslav would theoretically be in plum position for the CEO role.

That having been said, Zaslav has underdelivered on his promises (he continually missed EBITDA targets the whole of last year) and there's rumors that his benefactors are losing some patience with him, so who knows. Regardless, a potential merger leaves Comcast pulling the strings, so he might end up on a short leash either way.
IIRC, I read the front page of an article you had to subscribe to on the topic of this WBD NBCU merger. That article speculated that Comcast or Brian Roberts would still govern this merged company. That makes me hopeful that any damage Zaslav could do will be greatly diminished.

I’d assume if Comcast was to do it; they’d look on their own side (or do an outside search) in who to take on something like this.

Once again though—do not want this to happen; but I believe this would be the coming month of which we’d see action begin to move. Especially as WBD has scooped up the deals that they have—as if to butter up a deal.

Reactions: mccgavin
If this happens Zaslav is gone within 6 months of an announcement. That's the way it usually happens. That said, it's questionable whether the Feds would approve. They're in their skeptical mode on mergers and combinations. It's probable that it's still very questionable that it will happen in the near term.
Im fairly confident the Herfindahl-Hirshmann Index would be too high combining the two. Warner and Universal are two of the strongest studios among the Big 6…but let’s say by the time you factor in Netflix, Amazon, A24, and the rest of the smaller studios, I still don’t see a world where merging the two results in a fair and competitive gain in market share. The asset values of these two are just way too big.

Reactions: Grabnar
I would be absolutely astounded if the NBCU board would allow Zaslav to be the CEO in this situation lol. They've shown some prudence throughout the last few years and are taking a long term view on Universal entertainment which is antithetical to anything shown by his tenure at WBD.

Reactions: Mad Dog
NBCU will definitely not keep Zaslav as CEO because the nature of NBCUniversal is very very different that WB and the way they operate if this goes through.

Universal is reliant on IPs especially those focused on children to bolster their theme parks so things like cancelling Scoob as well as Coyote Vs ACME would not necessarily suffice and meet the mission agenda. Universal is about cost savings hints why we are seeing what we see at Dreamworks but not to the detriment of their potential development of new IPs.