COO and Iger Heir Apparent Tom Staggs Leaving Disney | Inside Universal Forums

COO and Iger Heir Apparent Tom Staggs Leaving Disney

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I can't comment as I have heard nothing about this. I have theories but those will be pointed as right or wrong come the next two financial calls.

:violin:

I feel bad for TWDC a bit, as hopefully it can get better soon..

Here's the thing, it's almost certain that it can't get any better, at least financially, and that's the problem. SW8 almost certainly won't make as much as 7 did. Marvel, while consistently good to great, has almost certainly peaked financially. The parks have record profits and still need to cut to the bone. There's no property like Star Wars/Marvel that's available for purchase

I'm not saying Disney is in any trouble of going out of business or anything crazy like that, but they've certainly reached a point where it's hard to see them do anything but stumble in the eyes of Wall Street.

Here's the thing, it's almost certain that it can't get any better, at least financially, and that's the problem. SW8 almost certainly won't make as much as 7 did. Marvel, while consistently good to great, has almost certainly peaked financially. The parks have record profits and still need to cut to the bone. There's no property like Star Wars/Marvel that's available for purchase

I'm not saying Disney is in any trouble of going out of business or anything crazy like that, but they've certainly reached a point where it's hard to see them do anything but stumble in the eyes of Wall Street.

I hope they don't start over saturating their IPs more than they are ecause then they'll really start to struggle (bad choice of word but I can't think of anything more fitting). How many Star Wars films outside of the new trilogy are in development? Add a new Indiana Jones, Pixar releasing multiple films a year, Cars 3 coming :bang:

I would say this comes as a big surprise to many. Staggs was seen as winning out over Rassulo. Seems they both lost. It would have been cool to be a fly on the wall to see why this played out as it did. I wonder how much the foreign park's problems played into this? And I would doubt that Staggs did this voluntarily. With his lack of personality, he'll never achieve a position comparable to Disney CEO.

Last edited:
FWIW, I think this is a clear sign that Iger isn't leaving Disney soon.

Staggs probably resigned because it was clear that he wasn't going to be getting the CEO slot. That means, somebody else is going to get it (one of the execs over on the film side?) or Iger is staying put for a while longer.

Wow. I actually kinda liked Staggs enough to not hate him if he became CEO.

With all of this Shanghai nonsense and cost-cutting going around, he could've been made to leave to save a huge chunk of salary.

Reactions: Ryno27
FWIW, I think this is a clear sign that Iger isn't leaving Disney soon.

Staggs probably resigned because it was clear that he wasn't going to be getting the CEO slot. That means, somebody else is going to get it (one of the execs over on the film side?) or Iger is staying put for a while longer.

I don't think so. Like I said above, the shine is off the apple. There's no where to go but down, and I think Bob wants to get out before that happens

Wow. I actually kinda liked Staggs enough to not hate him if he became CEO.

With all of this Shanghai nonsense and cost-cutting going around, he could've been made to leave to save a huge chunk of salary.
Probably not. He was obviously forced out. No confidence vote from the BOD. They'll pay him the bulk, if not all, of his remaining contract. The big corporations do this all the time. That's generally figured in the cost of replacing forced out management.

Reactions: Nick