Could ''Land of Oz" Come to Disney? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Could ''Land of Oz" Come to Disney?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Star Wars has the legs to beat HP (not kill it)
But Disney has made a business decision not to race Universal in building new attractions
They maximize profit by the never having discount tickets
The parks are almost full and they make money
A new "Star Wars Park" would pull from their other parks and be so crowded you could not move.
Would it pull guests from Universal ? I think they might pull some but most would just skip AK or even MK(unless have small children)
So most guests would still spend the same number of days there.

Star Wars has the legs to beat HP (not kill it)
But Disney has made a business decision not to race Universal in building new attractions
They maximize profit by the never having discount tickets
The parks are almost full and they make money
A new "Star Wars Park" would pull from their other parks and be so crowded you could not move.
Would it pull guests from Universal ? I think they might pull some but most would just skip AK or even MK(unless have small children)
So most guests would still spend the same number of days there.

I doubt people would skip parks just because of a star wars land likewise the wwohp. The main consumer is tourists mostly foreign with the wwohp it brings guests to Disney likewise if Disney did star wars people would visit Universal. The average tourist will go for two weeks that is plenty enough time to visit each park orlando has to offer.

the new Oz sucks, I hope it doesnt go near a theme park.

Amen. It had so many eye rolling moments that my eyes hurt after it was all done. Although I liked Michelle Williams as Glinda.......most of the acting was BAD........and most of the characters were bizarre (not in a good way).

Amen. It had so many eye rolling moments that my eyes hurt after it was all done. Although I liked Michelle Williams as Glinda.......most of the acting was BAD........and most of the characters were bizarre (not in a good way).

I agree with this completely. I did like Finley and china girl though.

As for my "killer" in the title, I agree nothing will have the draw that Potter did, or kill what potter has achieved. I guess im asking if it would be a suitable response to potter. I would hope for a star wars land as well. Although neither are really as gender neutral as Potter.

There's apparently a survey from Disney going around asking about Star Wars.

Actually, Oz going to Disneyland and thus "Disney" is very likely (Note: I'm talking about California here). Tony Baxter was working on an Oz project (spurred in part by the recent movie) and referenced once again its existence at a Disneyland AP event last week. Since the movie is preforming well and a sequel is approved, I would not rule it out. Magic Kingdom on the other hand? A frontier land addition seems to be the constant rumour.

Oz is definitely timeless and if Disney hit it out of the park with a land that was loosely tied in (i.e. No James Franco) it could easily stay relevant for a long time.

Star Wars will come, but Disney will want to tie it into the new trilogy - in part - and that means it's still a few years before the blue sky phase can really begin. Oz plans on the other hand have been percolating for a year or more, which means it's not at all impossible for the project to be green-lit for a D23 announcement in August.

Star Wars would not kill WWOHP.

And this comes from a fan of the series.

And with Disney lately...good luck even getting plans on the table much less making it a Potter killer.

No way Oz would be nearly as popular. Most people don't even know there is more than one book (some are realizing now), the original movie was released so long ago most kids have no clue what it is today. WWOHP is successful because all generations got into it. Children and adults have read the books and/or watched the movies. That is not the case with Oz. How many people do you know that have read the oz books? My husband is the only one I know of. I know I never did, neither did my parents, or any of my friends. And the only reason he read them was because one summer his mom paid him a penny a page to read books. So he was reading everything in the library for his age.

Yes, it is a classic movie. But that does not make a franchise and yes there are more movies to come. But the current one is getting mixed reviews and isn't beating out Potter in terms of gross sales domestic or world wide. So then there is the question will the next movie do better or worse, because you never know. People have to go see the movie or read the books first before they care about the theme park.

it's my 8 and 4 year-old cousins' favorite movie so i beg to differ

and it doesn't take a series to make a franchise. Wizard of Oz is a cult classic Disney could make an entire park based on it and it'd do very well because generations are still impacted by it. for the record i'm not saying they should make a park based on it, i'm just saying Oz makes much more of a generational impact than you believe. and now we have Wicked and Oz the Great and Powerful, these haven't become general successes just on a whim, people were interested in them because of everyone's genuine love for the original movie. Oz would do fine in the Disney parks.

it's definitely filed under movies that need a full park representation whether it's Disney, Universal or somewhere else. this, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this completely. I did like Finley and china girl though.

As for my "killer" in the title, I agree nothing will have the draw that Potter did, or kill what potter has achieved. I guess im asking if it would be a suitable response to potter. I would hope for a star wars land as well. Although neither are really as gender neutral as Potter.

i agree as well. Potter is locked for a few decades, it won't be killed. i think Oz land would be a good response, if done properly and not necessarily tying it to any specific movie. Star Wars would aslo be a very good response, if not a better one. the Star Wars fandom is much larger than the Potter one, if anything Disney would get a bigger turnout.

I could not see Oz becoming a land but a ride would be easy. All they have to do is make a Peter Pan style ride with the ride vehicle being a hot air balloon that takes you through Oz.

Oz is not a well known property outside of the U.S.

And this creates a problem for it being popular, because Disney gets a ton of international people.

I guess I never got into oz or anyone around me. So maybe that is why I don't see it being as popular. Maybe it is regional? I mean I watched it as a kid, never really cared for it, the one part scared me... I do remember that. But outside of, "Follow the yellow brick road" I never saw it as any bigger than other movies that have standed the test of time (Sound of Music or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory comes to mind). I did dress my daughter as dorothy because someone got me red sparkly shoes and I wanted to use them for something. But I just never saw it popular enough for entire land. I agree with someone else, a ride would be good.

Also, none of my friends kids talk about it. They seem to have other favorite movies, but none of the parents seem to really ever talk about it or say anything about their kids even watching it or liking it. So I think that is where I was coming from about kids today.

I could not see Oz becoming a land but a ride would be easy. All they have to do is make a Peter Pan style ride with the ride vehicle being a hot air balloon that takes you through Oz.

oh wow i never thought of that that'd actually be much better than an actual land

And this creates a problem for it being popular, because Disney gets a ton of international people.

I guess I never got into oz or anyone around me. So maybe that is why I don't see it being as popular. Maybe it is regional? I mean I watched it as a kid, never really cared for it, the one part scared me... I do remember that. But outside of, "Follow the yellow brick road" I never saw it as any bigger than other movies that have standed the test of time (Sound of Music or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory comes to mind). I did dress my daughter as dorothy because someone got me red sparkly shoes and I wanted to use them for something. But I just never saw it popular enough for entire land. I agree with someone else, a ride would be good.

Also, none of my friends kids talk about it. They seem to have other favorite movies, but none of the parents seem to really ever talk about it or say anything about their kids even watching it or liking it. So I think that is where I was coming from about kids today.

well i mean Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster are themed after very regional things does that mean they aren't popular with people outside the U.S.? on the contrary they're like two of the most popular attractions on the resort. it'd be the same thing with Oz. if they give it at least a very good ride it can be a hit with all the tourists. it just needs to be executed very well.

and Oz is always considered one of the best of all time, it's insinuated like one of those old black and white films that you don't personally like but you still understand that it's considered one of the greats. Oz has a reputation more than it has people calling it their favorite. which is why i'm all go ahead, the reputation enough can give Disney the push they need.

So it could be used in either Disneyland or Magic Kingdom
You don't understand though. Sure it could come to DL or MK, but it would still never be a "Potter Killer". Nothing will. Potter has international draw, specifically in the UK, where people overseas book trips specifically to see WWoHP. That wouldn't happen with Oz.

You don't understand though. Sure it could come to DL or MK, but it would still never be a "Potter Killer". Nothing will. Potter has international draw, specifically in the UK, where people overseas book trips specifically to see WWoHP. That wouldn't happen with Oz.

i have never been insinuating it was ever a Potter killer? in fact i said it wasn't, just a good response to it like most others have been saying.

well i mean Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster are themed after very regional things does that mean they aren't popular with people outside the U.S.? on the contrary they're like two of the most popular attractions on the resort. it'd be the same thing with Oz. if they give it at least a very good ride it can be a hit with all the tourists. it just needs to be executed very well.

and Oz is always considered one of the best of all time, it's insinuated like one of those old black and white films that you don't personally like but you still understand that it's considered one of the greats. Oz has a reputation more than it has people calling it their favorite. which is why i'm all go ahead, the reputation enough can give Disney the push they need.

Popular rides vs. a ride/land that attracts people to visit the parks are two different things. The theme of tower of terror and Rockin Roller Coaster could be ANYTHING and they would be popular. They are one of the few thrill rides that Disney has. It is why Thunder and Space mountain are one of the most popular rides in MK, but there is not recognizable theme outside of Disney property. These particular rides do not make people book a trip to Orlando.

We are having a discussion of whether something like Oz could be as popular and draw the crowds that WWOHP draws. While I am not saying Oz would be a popular attraction if done properly, I am saying it won't draw the crowds. People from another country are not going to book an extra trip just to see Oz Land or Oz Ride. They will book an extra trip for WWOHP.