Countdown to Extinction | Inside Universal Forums

Countdown to Extinction

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 25, 2009
Somerville, MA
So, I was just thinking about this-- I only went on CtE once before it changed to Dinosaur. I was small, around five-ish, and my only recollection of that experience was the outside sign/dinosaur, the queue, lots of fear, and my father bribing me with twenty dollars to ride it again. (I turned it down. What can I say? I was not the bravest of children.)

So, what are the two major differences between the two versions? (Storyline, effects, etc?) I can't, for the life of me, remember.

I never had the chance to ride it, but I'm pretty sure it didn't tie in a movie that no one watched. :lol:

Also, the ride was rougher- and possibly louder- and the carnasorous (pardon my spelling if that's wrong) was supposed to "follow" behind the vehicle at some point (simply achieved with loud thud noises and roars)

That's about it, I think.

Last edited:
It was for sure more "out of control". I also remember it being louder, but then again, the louder part might just be my imagination.

I remember this ride back in the year 2000. I barely remember the ride because I was 6 but it was pretty terrifying to me. It should have stayed that way...why did they have to theme it to the 2000 movie Dinosaur? I'm not saying the movie was bad because it was quite good and I remember seeing it like it was yesterday. Was it a move to bring more of a family audience?

It's really not themed to Dinosaur. It just has the same name. The Iguanodon and Carnotaurus were always part of the ride. I'm pretty sure the name was changed to increase profits and the ride was toned down to accommodate the younger riders it would attract.

Last edited:
It's really not themed to Dinosaur. It just has the same name. The Iguanodon and Carnotaurus were always part of the ride. I'm pretty sure the name was changed to increase profits and the ride was toned down to accommodate the younger riders it would attract.

The funny thing is children love wild and crazy, rough and bumpy rides. It's the older adults that complain about such things. It's the giant dinosaurs that scare the kids.

As far as the differences between the two, I strongly suggest watching Martin's Ultimate Dinosaur Tribute. I recall watching it, and it outlined what's changed. Also has ride vids tucked in there, and if you love Disney stuff, I strongly suggest looking at all the other great stuff the guy has posted.

I actually sat through the whole thing! It's my favorite Disney ride and the video was very well made. It was amazing, just amazing...Thanks for posting!

I really wished they'd give this some TCL, not to bring it back to Countdown to Extinction but just to spruce it up and bring back some of the effects that just sit there unused.

I didn't see many differences between CTX and Dinosaur. It looked like CTX just had some more effects that could be brought back with Dinosaur. What is the fuss about?

The effects were better and the name was way cooler than the most generic name (and bad movie tie in at that) to give a theme park ride about dinos.

I miss the time travel laser effects and that laser net grid effect that seem to be a net launching and capturing the iguanadon at the end.

Also those meteor shower effects progressivly getting more intense and at one point the vehicle would react and tilt heavily as if it was just blown into the air a bit from a meteor hitting the earth nearby. So awesome.

And of course the old "INCOMING!" effect.

In case anyone is wondering, the original show doors at the beginning of the ride are operational again as of today...for the first time in what seems like 5 years. :thumbs:
Yes, Disney is throwing SOME money at this ride, finally.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
Also: The finale Carnotaurus is operational as well. The only things left to repair/redesign now are the Alioramus (hasn't worked in minimum 5 weeks), the Compys, and the Pterodactyl (haven't worked since transitioning to Dinosaur).

Reactions: Cwoolboy