DC's Bird's of Prey | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

DC's Bird's of Prey

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Agreed - and considering how the movie turned out, it was very much a Harley Quinn movie. They didn't need the Birds of Prey in the title.
The Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn don’t belong together. Literally has never happened in the comics. I haven’t seen the movie and I’ve heard good things, but why they chose this route I’m unsure.

The Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn don’t belong together. Literally has never happened in the comics. I haven’t seen the movie and I’ve heard good things, but why they chose this route I’m unsure.

A lot of the movie is like that. Same goes for Black Mask. I loved Ewan as the character; but as a fan of Black Mask, I was a bit bummed this is the version we get.

Reactions: belloq87
This borders on gossipy speculation, so take it with a large grain of salt, but I've heard from a couple supposed industry "insiders" versions of this same basic account: that Robbie, as producer, was presented by WB the option of either a Birds of Prey story or a Gotham City Sirens story, and Robbie didn't want Harley to be "upstaged" by even more popular characters like Catwoman and Poison Ivy. So she preferred BOP, which would feature characters considerably secondary to her.

I don't know that I necessarily believe that, but it's a somewhat plausible explanation.

A lot of the movie is like that. Same goes for Black Mask. I loved Ewan as the character; but as a fan of Black Mask, I was a bit bummed this is the version we get.
I'm a fan of Black Mask, as well, and even though I really like McGregor, this much more broad take on the character kind of soured my interest in seeing the movie.

This borders on gossipy speculation, so take it with a large grain of salt, but I've heard from a couple supposed industry "insiders" versions of this same basic account: that Robbie, as producer, was presented by WB the option of either a Birds of Prey story or a Gotham City Sirens story, and Robbie didn't want Harley to be "upstaged" by even more popular characters like Catwoman and Poison Ivy. So she preferred BOP, which would feature characters considerably secondary to her.

I don't know that I necessarily believe that, but it's a somewhat plausible explanation.

I'm a fan of Black Mask, as well, and even though I really like McGregor, this much more broad take on the character kind of soured my interest in seeing the movie.
I thought Gotham City Sirens was happening as well? Or was that dependent on how well BOP did?

I thought Gotham City Sirens was happening as well? Or was that dependent on how well BOP did?
Reportedly contingent upon evidence (read: box office of BOP and THE SUICIDE SQUAD) demonstrating a wide audience wants to see more of Robbie's Harley.

I suspect we won't hear anything more definitively until after SS opens next year.

I do wonder if people are ever gonna turn out to see female-driven tentpole films. This, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Charlie’s Angels, etc. have all flopped for one reason or another. It’s a shame too, because some of these seem pretty good but some audience members are just naturally put off by the idea of women ensembles without even giving them a chance.

I do wonder if people are ever gonna turn out to see female-driven tentpole films. This, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Charlie’s Angels, etc. have all flopped for one reason or another. It’s a shame too, because some of these seem pretty good but some audience members are just naturally put off by the idea of women ensembles without even giving them a chance.
I know this is MCU, but Captain Marvel did big business.

Also, the films you listed were almost all bad. Ghostbusters 2016 was actually a lot better than it got credit for, it unfortunately had an army of trolls dragging it down it was female-led. That was America at it's worst.

Reactions: HereWeGo
WONDER WOMAN was a huge hit, as well. DARK FATE flopped because the previous two TERMINATOR movies weren't widely seen as good, and it was also clear from the marketing (and leaks that were difficult to avoid) that -- despite being a direct continuation -- they were erasing the importance of T2, so some who hold that movie dear might have stayed away.

GB16 is an okay 2010s comedy. It was just a terrible GHOSTBUSTERS movie.

I really loved this movie though it's not my favorite in the DCEU. Margot felt more like Harley in this and the action was really entertaining to watch. Loved Black Mask and surprisingly Victor Zsasz was the sleeper hit for me, was just as much as a creep as I remember envisioning him to be. That ending foreshadow was pure comic book bliss.

My current DCEU ranking:
1) Man of Steel
2) Wonder Woman
3) Batman v Superman: UE
4) Birds of Prey (Tied)
4) Shazam (Tied)
6) Aquaman
7) A bag of Chips
8) Suicide Squad
9) Justice League

The movie was the most comic-book-y I've felt since Spider-Man Homecoming which was really nice. Pretty cute for a violent movie too, and despite its short runtime felt a bit beefy in its content. Looking forward to the future slate of DC and how Flashpoint fixes/ nixes things.

Last edited:
If you want to have a cinematic universe you gotta have at least some sort of plan. DC is a mess and has been for so long. Too lost to get it together yet making enough money to not be forced to figure it out. the disjointedness of major characters makes me actively not want to watch their movies.

If you go into the movie just wanting to have a good time, then I think you'll be satisfied. I really enjoyed it. :bow:

Realllyyyy, really loved this movie. Just a pure joy to watch. Margot was born to play Harley. The action was awesome, great pacing, and it totally flew by. It’s a shame the film isn’t doing too well, I’d love to see a proper sequel to this. Had a total blast and couldn’t recommend more. Definitely not perfect but honestly it’s one of my favorite DCEU movies to date.

Realllyyyy, really loved this movie. Just a pure joy to watch. Margot was born to play Harley. The action was awesome, great pacing, and it totally flew by. It’s a shame the film isn’t doing too well, I’d love to see a proper sequel to this. Had a total blast and couldn’t recommend more. Definitely not perfect but honestly it’s one of my favorite DCEU movies to date.
I thought the action was solid, but then I read it was the team behind John Wick. The action was such a visceral rush paired with a fun character.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
I thought the action was solid, but then I read it was the team behind John Wick. The action was such a visceral rush paired with a fun character.
Ya I honestly thought it all just played perfectly and seamlessly. I really can't find much fault with the movie here other than the obligatory " I know its not perfect" but I just had a pure blast it doesn't matter. Cinematography was really great and Robbie, as always, was outstanding as Harley Quinn. I just cannot believe its not doing better at the box office. Felt like a kind of comic book film we haven't really seen before, or not in awhile at least. I wonder if moving up WW1984 to February would have been a better move, and have BoP open in June. But since its already performing not so great with Sonic being its only competition, June might not make sense. Idk I just think more marketing would've helped and trailers for this would've played with WW1984 which id assume has a good chance at being a $1 billion film.