Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

Universal Orlando has had a hell of a ROI from that fairly inexpensive refurbed attraction and a big money merch. store. That got a lot without spending much.

And it's a ride that's been easily ported to other parks (and yet another, with Singapore in the works. I believe it's going in Beijing, too?)

One thing I like about Illumination is they have in-house writers to handle theme park attractions and related LBE experiences. Minion Mayhem as one of the best ride scripts of any modern theme park addition, and you can always tell when Universal Creative writes it (Forbidden Journey, Fast & Furious) versus members of the originating teams.

Yeah, for 25% of guests (which means it is affecting, on average, one person in a family of four) to complain about anything means there's a pretty big issue. That's not a small percentage.
But the question (survey) doesn't refer to DM. It's about 3D in general. So does that mean because 25% of the people don't care for 3D that it should be removed from SpiderMan, Transformers etc.....Heck, if you asked about do you like riding coasters at Universal, I'll bet more than that would say they don't care for coasters. Does that mean then that there shouldn't be any coasters in the park.Or spinning flat rides. Same. I think that's flawed logic.

But the question (survey) doesn't refer to DM. It's about 3D in general. So does that mean because 25% of the people don't care for 3D that it should be removed from SpiderMan, Transformers etc.....Heck, if you asked about do you like riding coasters at Universal, I'll bet more than that would say they don't care for coasters. Does that mean then that there shouldn't be any coasters in the park.Or spinning flat rides. Same. I think that's flawed logic.
They aren't getting constant complaints about coasters or spinning rides. And you don't know that DMMM didn't have a higher percentage that disliked 3D. Guest Service complaints mean a lot and UOR takes them seriously and reacts quickly to them. I'd say a higher than average percentage of guests complaining were mentioning Despicable Me for UOR to deem this change as worth it. They clearly think it will make a difference and they must've liked the response Hollywood had since the 2D conversion.

Very unfortunate......Will ruin the attraction. Simpson's always made me feel queazier. No glasses, no 3D.. What a dumb move. Guess my express pass won't mean so much for this movie/ride. Too bad the 25% rules. I will add that 25% does not necessarily mean 1 child/adult out of a family of 4. May well mean a family of 4 whiners who birch about anything. Rant over.
A bit more. I visit at the "slowest" times of the year. This is ALWAYS one of the longest wait times. This is PURELY a budget cut move. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Very unfortunate......Will ruin the attraction. Simpson's always made me feel queazier. No glasses, no 3D.. What a dumb move. Guess my express pass won't mean so much for this movie/ride. Too bad the 25% rules. I will add that 25% does not necessarily mean 1 child/adult out of a family of 4. May well mean a family of 4 whiners who birch about anything. Rant over.
A bit more. I visit at the "slowest" times of the year. This is ALWAYS one of the longest wait times. This is PURELY a budget cut move. Nothing more.
And yet Fast & Furious is still unchanged :(