Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

Some of us just don't believe their official line and unofficial leaked line. Sounds like somethings rotten in Denmark type BS for a very popular 7 year attraction. :lol:..........Mgt. meeting; Heh, guys, look how much money we can save if we don't have to buy and replace these very expensive 3d goggles. Plus we get to cut some handing out and cleaning staff too...and we can just give the gullible GP the old too many 3d and screens rides SPIN/story since that happens to be a popular rumor thing even though we're still paying big bucks to run the horrible F&F screen ride that almost nobody likes. No one will remember this is a 7 yr. old attraction that was popular with long lines always. We can blame it on the Japanese since they are fine with their 2d, and no one will realize that's because their screen is a zillion times larger than our tiny Orlando screen. People will still line up to ride it since we have like almost no kid rides in the park. So it's a win win situation..... And, do I get an extra bonus check for this great money saving idea?.....;)
Do you really think Uni is that cheap ?

Some of us just don't believe their official line and unofficial leaked line. Sounds like somethings rotten in Denmark type BS for a very popular 7 year attraction. :lol:..........Mgt. meeting; Heh, guys, look how much money we can save if we don't have to buy and replace these very expensive 3d goggles. Plus we get to cut some handing out and cleaning staff too...and we can just give the gullible GP the old too many 3d and screens rides SPIN/story since that happens to be a popular rumor thing even though we're still paying big bucks to run the horrible F&F screen ride that almost nobody likes. No one will remember this is a 7 yr. old attraction that was popular with long lines always. We can blame it on the Japanese since they are fine with their 2d, and no one will realize that's because their screen is a zillion times larger than our tiny Orlando screen. People will still line up to ride it since we have like almost no kid rides in the park. So it's a win win situation..... And, do I get an extra bonus check for this great money saving idea?.....;)
You're probably my favorite person on this forum ( close second was ThrillRideLover), but you lost me on this one

Do you really think Uni is that cheap ?
I think they make budget decisions, like they did to close Sindbad and/or to not use 3D on F&F to save costs, which supposedly was the reason. The new glasses are quite expensive, along with the servicing of them, so it's probably a 'significant' savings for DM.So, I wouldn't use the word cheap, but I do believe budget matters.

I think they make budget decisions, like they did to close Sindbad and/or to not use 3D on F&F to save costs, which supposedly was the reason. The new glasses are quite expensive, along with the servicing of them, so it's probably a 'significant' savings for DM.So, I wouldn't use the word cheap, but I do believe budget matters.

F&F 3D cut was in response to the "too much 3D", not cutting costs. You can tell it was an extremely late decision based on how certain areas of the queue seem to have been "glasses ready" and were changed & covered.

I’m late to this but my take..

I think Universal is in a bit of a panic while going through a large change in the process. For far too long Universal depended on screens and 3d glasses to tell their stories, ride the movies they said. And for a long time it worked and 3D was a unique and technological experience for guests that couldn’t be emulated outside of themeparks for the most part.

As the years went bye advancements in tech changed how we view screens in themepark rides but also brought 3d into our living rooms. What was once a cool experience that last 3-5 mins once a year on vacation was now readily available at any given time. I think what we then realized was that one 3d is and was a gimmick and one that most of us couldn’t stand once we got passed that 5 min mark. And two with the rapid advancement of screen tech we quickly realized 3d was becoming less impressive and impactful.

Now while all of this is going on, Universal (unfortunately imo) tripled down on screens and even more so 3d. At one point I don’t think anyone stopped and took a step back to see what they were doing. At peak Universal Studios had 8 rides which 3d glasses were needed and IOA also debuted Kong during peak build out. Couple those 3d rides with others that require screens to portray the story and now your talking every new ride they’ve done just about.

I think the times started to adjust once Skull Island came out and like the ride or not many in the general public were disappointed to see a once classic attraction become yet another screen based 3d simulator. I think it caught Universal off guard, "what happened, why don’t people like this it doesn’t make sense” I can see them saying. But at that point the next two attractions were locked. Jimmy Fallon is what it is nothing we can do about that it has to be in 3d. But then you got Supercharged and they tried to fix it by removing 3d to see if that helped the situation.

But by this point the screen overload for guests was beyond apparent. Go to any review site and look at the reviews of the last 4 or 5 rides that involve 3d or screens and you will see numerous reviews bashing the abundance of glasses and screens at the parks. Doesn’t make it right or wrong if you like or dislike glasses and or screens. But nevertheless the issue surrounding screens was pushed to the front of the class. So much so that this is where I think the damage control aspect comes in. Let’s try to remove 3d glasses from certain attractions coming like F&F, remove dated 3d attractions like to T2 and replace them with ANYTHING physical, and finally see which attractions currently operating can be switched to lose 3d to see if it improves Guest Satisfaction Scores.

They gone as far as asking how many screen based rides would be acceptable in an entire new park in surveys and have trained the staff of their newest attraction Hagrid to teach guests there are no screens on this ride.

In the end is Universal doing the right thing by removing 3d from Minions and possibly other attractions down the road? No clue, but I applaud them for trying to rectify several mistakes made over the last couple of years.

I’m late to this but my take..

I think Universal is in a bit of a panic while going through a large change in the process. For far too long Universal depended on screens and 3d glasses to tell their stories, ride the movies they said. And for a long time it worked and 3D was a unique and technological experience for guests that couldn’t be emulated outside of themeparks for the most part.

As the years went bye advancements in tech changed how we view screens in themepark rides but also brought 3d into our living rooms. What was once a cool experience that last 3-5 mins once a year on vacation was now readily available at any given time. I think what we then realized was that one 3d is and was a gimmick and one that most of us couldn’t stand once we got passed that 5 min mark. And two with the rapid advancement of screen tech we quickly realized 3d was becoming less impressive and impactful.

Now while all of this is going on, Universal (unfortunately imo) tripled down on screens and even more so 3d. At one point I don’t think anyone stopped and took a step back to see what they were doing. At peak Universal Studios had 8 rides which 3d glasses were needed and IOA also debuted Kong during peak build out. Couple those 3d rides with others that require screens to portray the story and now your talking every new ride they’ve done just about.

I think the times started to adjust once Skull Island came out and like the ride or not many in the general public were disappointed to see a once classic attraction become yet another screen based 3d simulator. I think it caught Universal off guard, "what happened, why don’t people like this it doesn’t make sense” I can see them saying. But at that point the next two attractions were locked. Jimmy Fallon is what it is nothing we can do about that it has to be in 3d. But then you got Supercharged and they tried to fix it by removing 3d to see if that helped the situation.

But by this point the screen overload for guests was beyond apparent. Go to any review site and look at the reviews of the last 4 or 5 rides that involve 3d or screens and you will see numerous reviews bashing the abundance of glasses and screens at the parks. Doesn’t make it right or wrong if you like or dislike glasses and or screens. But nevertheless the issue surrounding screens was pushed to the front of the class. So much so that this is where I think the damage control aspect comes in. Let’s try to remove 3d glasses from certain attractions coming like F&F, remove dated 3d attractions like to T2 and replace them with ANYTHING physical, and finally see which attractions currently operating can be switched to lose 3d to see if it improves Guest Satisfaction Scores.

They gone as far as asking how many screen based rides would be acceptable in an entire new park in surveys and have trained the staff of their newest attraction Hagrid to teach guests there are no screens on this ride.

In the end is Universal doing the right thing by removing 3d from Minions and possibly other attractions down the road? No clue, but I applaud them for trying to rectify several mistakes made over the last couple of years.

Good thoughts, I will also mention that Universal can't just replace everything all at once with animatronic dark rides..I know they make a lot on Butterbeer, but that's a bit rediculous.

The quick solution to this issue is to adjust where you can

And here we are, turning 3D off on an attraction that works fine without it

This sucks for the ride but I’m not surprised. There hasn’t been a 3D installation since the contract with Dolby ended and started with Christie. Fallon was the last. I know I’ve mentioned it here before I think on the FF thread, but Christie’s 3D use some expensive glasses ($250+ each last I checked), and Dolby projectors are expensive to maintain without a maintenance contract in place. I think this came down to it just being cheaper for Uni to move to a different projector from a current partner, than maintain the older ones. I heard similar things with Terminator and why our FF isn’t 3D. Just doesn’t cost out.

5 extra pages of talking about the "why" when Skip really summarized it perfectly in one sentence.
They’re just over correcting

Not cost. Not sickness. Just over correcting. Personally, I disagree with it and think 3D rides should remain 3D, including F&F.

Now ripping down DM and building a physical attraction there? You'd see very few complaints. Then again, there isn't any room for a physical ride.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a new DM area (a la Osaka) elsewhere and just throwing a restaurant or even *gasp* a shop where DM is located. So long as Shrek is replaced with a larger physical attraction like SLoP.
The removal of both DM and Shrek would help with perception of that park in a major way.

F&F 3D cut was in response to the "too much 3D", not cutting costs. You can tell it was an extremely late decision based on how certain areas of the queue seem to have been "glasses ready" and were changed & covered.

Not to draw this too off topic, but could a conversion to 3D still occur with relative ease and minimal expense at F&F?

This sucks for the ride but I’m not surprised. There hasn’t been a 3D installation since the contract with Dolby ended and started with Christie. Fallon was the last. I know I’ve mentioned it here before I think on the FF thread, but Christie’s 3D use some expensive glasses ($250+ each last I checked), and Dolby projectors are expensive to maintain without a maintenance contract in place. I think this came down to it just being cheaper for Uni to move to a different projector from a current partner, than maintain the older ones. I heard similar things with Terminator and why our FF isn’t 3D. Just doesn’t cost out.

I sort of touched on this with the glasses, but yes. Dolby color wheels only work with Xenon projectors, not to mention they don’t seem to make them anymore (the color wheels). To do this style of 3D with laser projectors you have to go way up the line to the big 6P lasers (literally 6 primary colors), even then the glasses aren’t the same. We’re talking 10x cost on the projector, and you may be right on the glasses.

I think in general though while this is over correcting we should be thrilled they're now focusing on building attractions that are less screens. JW Coaster, Hagrid's, and SLOP are all in the right direction in my opinion. The JW Coaster is more of an animatronic in a coaster but still, they're focused on more practical effects.

I think Universal Studios should restructure their park a bit to solve 3 problems; the entrance and the ugly Shrek and Minions area and the saturation of screen based rides.
Close the gap between the Hello Kitty store and the Universal Studio Store. Use a fitting facade and you have your own main street themed to Hollywood.
That gives ample space to level Shrek and Minions and space for 2 medium sized dark rides using the second floor and shops and restaurants on the first floor. There is no need for the wide street that there is now and all that valuable space can be used for the rides. Only problem is the parade route so maybe no parade and create a new one for FW in the future.

I think in general though while this is over correcting we should be thrilled they're now focusing on building attractions that are less screens. JW Coaster, Hagrid's, and SLOP are all in the right direction in my opinion. The JW Coaster is more of an animatronic in a coaster but still, they're focused on more practical effects.

While it's great that these projects are not screen-oriented, none of them are going into USF (at this time, in SLOP's case, anyway), which is the park where the saturation of screen-based attractions still is.