Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USH) | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USH)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Totally forgot in my excitement that they need to open up the path from the exit store in order to hold softs which is currently under heavy construction due to SSFL's delays.

T__T

Last edited by a moderator:
The "The Ride" graphic/font/color scheme really bothers me though. It looks like something that would fit Fast and Furious or Transformers. If they're gonna go with The Ride, at least make it fit in with the main Despicable Me sign/font.

Or better yet, leave it the way it frikin is already......

Even worse since technically there's going to be two rides that open with the area: Minion Mayhem and the spinner. Got to love marketing majors.

"Attraction" count is really gonna boost up once the whole area is ready. Universal will be able to list THREE additional rides to the list: Minion Mayhem, the Spinner, and probably the water play area! Really fantastic. I wonder how extensive the water play area will be.

Well according to another tweet, the two cones are part of the water play area as well as the presumably Beedo-Beedo themed bucket.

Looks like this is only for the marketing campaign.

What a sloppy mess. Why would you throw out two different names like that?
It's like Disney with Toy Story Mania, even though the Imagineers insisted (and as the park maps have it listed) it's "Toy Story Midway Mania".

Didn't Orlando market this as Minion Mayhem though? Oy vey.

Same thing with Star Tours. Disney has alternated between Star Tours 3D and Star Tours The Adventures Continue for the new version.

Warning. Spoilers.

http://www.today.com/video/today/48042148

Seeing this video from The Today Show from Orlando's opening, I gotta say...I'm really disappointed. That screen looks painfully small. It looks like only a few select cars have a good view, and everything else will be at an awkward angle. Even worse than The Simpson's. I'm gonna obviously save my full opinion for when I actually ride it, but seeing that video, I now know what Chris was talking about.....*sigh* I hope I end up enjoying it still.

Reactions: steve
Looks like this is only for the marketing campaign.What a sloppy mess. Why would you throw out two different names like that?
Because many theme park visitors are oblivious to things like that. "The Ride" makes it very clear what it is to the target audience so it can't be confused with a show or anything else. There will still be people that show up to Minion Mayhem and ask where The Ride is. People don't put two and two together. I've experienced it first hand. The ads have to be sure to promote it as a ride to get people in the park. Albeit lazy, using the brand name with The Ride attached to it is the most concise way to advertise what's coming to the general public.

Reactions: Freak and Chris
That screen looks painfully small. It looks like only a few select cars have a good view, and everything else will be at an awkward angle. Even worse than The Simpson's. I'm gonna obviously save my full opinion for when I actually ride it, but seeing that video, I now know what Chris was talking about.....*sigh* I hope I end up enjoying it still.
Do remember that Orlando's was retrofitted so you may possibly see a larger screen. Also, this ride is going to exist simply to attract families and make that 48 inch ticket more worthwhile with arguably one of the hottest IP's right now. T2, as advanced as some might think, was (1) dated content-wise, (2) too intense for the park's audience (8 on IU's intensity meter), (3) too expensive. Just walk in to the ride expecting Orlando's truncated version and without T2 in your mind and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Warning. Spoilers.

http://www.today.com/video/today/48042148

Seeing this video from The Today Show from Orlando's opening, I gotta say...I'm really disappointed. That screen looks painfully small. It looks like only a few select cars have a good view, and everything else will be at an awkward angle. Even worse than The Simpson's. I'm gonna obviously save my full opinion for when I actually ride it, but seeing that video, I now know what Chris was talking about.....*sigh* I hope I end up enjoying it still.
It's a definite improvement on the screen for Hannah Barbera/Jimmy Neutron. That was basically as if they went to your local movie theater and plopped simulators down in front of it!

I just ...don't understand why they couldn't make the screen longer or somehow more concave and encompassing. Even the Despicable Me screen size looks like some newer theaters I've been to. Again, this is just based off of the video, I'll save full judgement when I see it in person. This just totally reminds me of a simulator ride/show I did when I was at an Ocean themed park in Israel. Simulator cars in plain view of each other and facing one screen. Just...idk. Seeing that Orlando video really lowered my expectations by a lot.

^ yeah exactly. There's absolutely nothing about DM:MM that's even remotely revolutionary or even evolutionary, except 4K, which is just the standard now anyway...it'll be nice for families and it's "another ride" I guess. But....what I find funny is that the only difference between Minion Mayhem and Shrek is the different seating (simulator cars vs. shaking seats) and a slightly larger screen for Minion Mayhem. So if they take out the shaking seats from Shrek and add similar simulator cars, can we rename Shrek as Shrek 4D The Ride?

Just noticed in the recent pictures that the window panes from the neighbor's houses were removed. Maybe they're installing lighting for nighttime?

Reactions: Aaron
^ yeah exactly. There's absolutely nothing about DM:MM that's even remotely revolutionary or even evolutionary, except 4K, which is just the standard now anyway...it'll be nice for families and it's "another ride" I guess. But....what I find funny is that the only difference between Minion Mayhem and Shrek is the different seating (simulator cars vs. shaking seats) and a slightly larger screen for Minion Mayhem. So if they take out the shaking seats from Shrek and add similar simulator cars, can we rename Shrek as Shrek 4D The Ride?
Well, if it makes you feel any better the two pre-shows are hysterical and the dance party is infectious.

I'm sure when it's all put together this will be a very, very nice area for children and their parents. The point of Hannah Barbera in the first place was that it was a "kid-friendly" simulator, and that has stuck all the way through Despicable Me. Personally a lot of travel guides point to The Simpsons Ride as being good for kids (it is far smoother and more toned down than BTTF for sure), so I'm not quite certain if that's really necessary anymore, but regardless it's there for the kids and they love minions... this has got them in spades.

Reactions: ...
The thing is....I LOVE the minions, and the movies are some of my favorite animated movies. I just feel that this franchise deserved a bigger ride. I'm sure ill still really enjoy it, but I just wish it was implemented better.

It just also feels more sore because we went from an amazing revolutionary 3D/Live show that was truly breathtaking and really held up well, to something that feels like a step back. But I'm sure I'll still enjoy it. Hey, at least we're getting a better overall experience than Orlando :p

Reactions: Chris
Usually when an attraction starts up there are waves of ride operators sent in to safety test the attraction and get the operations down before employee preview night, followed by softs.

I guarantee you that there is still a month to go before it opens for actual riders.