Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USH)

Sooo, they just spliced together some films from the movies.....I wonder if we'll ever hear of the reall reason this change was made.

My guess is guest surveys are telling them that people are tired of 3D attractions.

Another added benefit for Universal is they no longer have to staff positions required for 3D glasses.

So with the removal of 3D from Minions that leaves Transformers and Supercharged/Kong as the only 3D attractions in Hollywood.

Got to wonder if Supercharged and Kong are next to have 3D removed.

Well look at that! The removal of 3D was done as sloppily as I suspected and now we get a poorly done Gru over-dubbing on top of everything else. Even I didn't call that one. Management is really on a bit of a roll with one poor decision after another.

I rode it today, and tweeted about it, but in a bit more detail:

Bad: the screen is too small for this, and the edges are very noticable without the 3D glasses. You are also way, way more aware of other vehicles moving around you.

Good: the visual quality of the film is way, way better. Very clear and sharp. And it's just nice not to have to wear glasses.

So to me, it's a bit of a wash. But really, I don't really miss the 3D. And I agree that it must cut back on staffing and resources, so that's gotta be a plus. But a larger, wrap around screen would be better... but I don't really see that happening.

To be honest, I didn't notice anything about a different voice for the pre-show, but I wasn't paying attention to that, either.

I rode it today, and tweeted about it, but in a bit more detail:

Bad: the screen is too small for this, and the edges are very noticable without the 3D glasses. You are also way, way more aware of other vehicles moving around you.

My first thought when I heard this was, "the screens are too small for this." The one in Japan uses the Simpsons/BTTF ride system with enormous domed screens so the 2D works perfectly well there. The Hollywood and Orlando versions are moving seats in a small room with a small screen. It's plainly a dumb move to remove the 3D here.

The way to fix the ride is not by removing 3d. Rather, replace the screen with a wrap around one that completely fills your field of view. Seeing the edges of the screen is what made the attraction bad, not the 3d aspect.
That’s what they should do. It would end up being like DWT but with a lap bar.