Diagon Alley Soft Opening Watch | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Diagon Alley Soft Opening Watch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone's buddy Seth Kubersky has a great post on TouringPlans about Diagon Alley soft opening dates, crowd patterns, and more.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/06/06/preliminary-diagon-alley-touring-plans/

Must read.

Not all of his information is correct. The Sinbad kiosks are gone, so to get a return time ticket for Hogsmeade, you must go to Trike Encounter and use those kiosks.

We only use a stand-by line if it is EXTREMELY busy.

The kiosks are only in use if we reach capacity, and we do NOT open them as soon as the park opens. If we are expecting huge crowds, we are on stand-by to open give out return times, but we don't actually do this unless we have to.

On opening day in 2010, we actually had people at the turnstiles by 3 AM, before the opening staff got there. They were obviously hotel guests. The parking structures opened earlier than anticipated, due to huge crowds and traffic.

Some other stuff is incorrect, but I can't go into details at this time.

Another thing I would add, from past experience, if you DO NOT have early park admission (or EPA as we call it), DON'T go to either Potter early in the day, because EVERYONE does that. Go later in the evening, late afternoon or later, because the crowds almost always die down after around 4 or 5, except Christmas week, when it seems like it stays crowded from 7 AM-10 PM.

How bad were the lines to simply enter the parks a few days after Hogsmeade's grand opening? I'm staying at RPR for three nights starting on June 28th (hopefully checking in around 7:30AM) without much of a plan. Whether the Hogwarts Express will be open during early entry seems to be a major unknown. Seems like hitting it immediately after entering IoA could bypass a potentially huge line to enter USF, though the crowds inside the park would most likely be ahead at that point, as Seth's article mentions. Could still be a decent strategy if there's a ridiculous line for USF and obtaining a Diagon Alley return ticket isn't an issue. But yeah, the Express might not be running at all during early entry.

edit - I'll bookmark the Touring Plans article just in case.

Last edited:
Not all of his information is correct. The Sinbad kiosks are gone, so to get a return time ticket for Hogsmeade, you must go to Trike Encounter and use those kiosks.

The kiosks are only in use if we reach capacity, and we do NOT open them as soon as the park opens. If we are expecting huge crowds, we are on stand-by to open give out return times, but we don't actually do this unless we have to.

On opening day in 2010, we actually had people at the turnstiles by 3 AM, before the opening staff got there. They were obviously hotel guests. The parking structures opened earlier than anticipated, due to huge crowds and traffic.

Another thing I would add, from past experience, if you DO NOT have early park admission (or EPA as we call it), DON'T go to either Potter early in the day, because EVERYONE does that. Go later in the evening, late afternoon or later, because the crowds almost always die down after around 4 or 5, except Christmas week, when it seems like it stays crowded from 7 AM-10 PM.

Thanks for the info!

Thank you Kim for the feedback! I will use it to update my article!

I'm confused, when I last looked the Sindbad kiosks were there, but the ones in the Trike area were gone. Did they switch them?

I think I mention that Hogsmeade only gives out tickets once they reach capacity, but I'll clarify that.

The 2010 opening day part is a quote from the Sentinel, but I'll add your info too.

I agree about saving Potter for late in the day, there will be a followup to this post with an evening touring plan. But many guest who are coming specifically for Diagon Alley don't want to wait, so I'm trying to tell them the most efficient way to tour in the morning.

Thanks again for your corrections, please feel free to email me more at seth@touringplans.com

- - - Updated - - -

How bad were the lines to simply enter the parks a few days after Hogsmeade's grand opening? I'm staying at RPR for three nights starting on June 28th (hopefully checking in around 7:30AM) without much of a plan. Whether the Hogwarts Express will be open during early entry seems to be a major unknown. Seems like hitting it immediately after entering IoA could bypass a potentially huge line to enter USF, though the crowds inside the park would most likely be ahead at that point, as Seth's article mentions. Could still be a decent strategy if there's a ridiculous line for USF and obtaining a Diagon Alley return ticket isn't an issue. But yeah, the Express might not be running at all during early entry.

edit - I'll bookmark the Touring Plans article just in case.

Entering the park was only a big issue on opening day. They recently installed new turnstile scanners at USF that are much more efficient than the old ones, so the crowds at the front should move more smoothly. I predict the process of boarding & traveling on HE from IOA will take longer than getting through the front gate as long as you arrive at least 30-45 min before you can enter.

Reactions: Felipe
I do not know if things have changed since Cabana Bay opened or maybe we've never stayed on-site in the summer. Anyway, we went for early entry and all the turnstiles were open. They never asked to see our keys at the turnstiles which surprised me.

Once inside, they check for our room key when you rounded the corner towards Seuss. In the past, we have only been when only the left side gate was open and you needed to show your key before entering the park.

The only point I am trying to make is that I think Universal will always make adjustments to operations based on crowd level, learn what works, and continue to adjust when they feel they can help crowd flow work better.

Seth, the Sinbad kiosks are gone forever, and the Trike kiosks have been replaced, but unless you sneak past the planters, you can't get in there.

I was there at 5 AM opening day in 2010, and there were already guests lined up at the turnstiles, and the ones I talked to said they got there about 3 AM. At 5, parking hadn't even opened yet. Those first few people got to sit in the audience of the Today Show; the others were sent to the temp bridge, and were the next set of guests to enter the land, which I think was around 8 AM, although my memory is a little foggy on that detail.

I remember the day after grand opening, the line to get into Potter, but not through the turnstiles, was in Seuss Landing, but, by the time my crew got there, turnstiles had opened up because there were so many people waiting to get in the park. On my way from work that day, I was called and asked to come in at 5 AM instead of 6, because of anticipated large crowds. That is the only time after grand opening I remember Potter lines snaking all the way through the park. We were so unprepared for the popularity of the WWoHP that we really just kind of flew by the seat of our pants that first 6 months or so. We ran a stand-by line only the first summer, taping out a rudimentary line every morning, from Watering Hole into Toon Lagoon. That Christmas was the first time IOA ever reached capacity in its history, and it did so for 3 days in a row.

We are MUCH more prepared for crowds this time around, because after all, we have had a few years to smooth things out, but we know we will still be making changes on the fly, as we see fit according to business needs.

And no, I DON'T know when grand opening is, at this point, I don't think anyone does.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not know if things have changed since Cabana Bay opened or maybe we've never stayed on-site in the summer. Anyway, we went for early entry and all the turnstiles were open. They never asked to see our keys at the turnstiles which surprised me.

Once inside, they check for our room key when you rounded the corner towards Seuss. In the past, we have only been when only the left side gate was open and you needed to show your key before entering the park.

The only point I am trying to make is that I think Universal will always make adjustments to operations based on crowd level, learn what works, and continue to adjust when they feel they can help crowd flow work better.

This is how we are doing EPA now, mostly because of Starbucks, but just about the entire events staff prefers sorting inside the park. And for the people who don't have EPA, they at least have Starbucks and a couple of shops open to occupy their time, and Croissant Moon usually opens about 8:30 as well. This has so many more advantages, but expect the set-up to change slightly during peak seasons.

Please also be aware that because of Cabana Bay, our EPA attendance has increased by quite a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: natespf
When we were at Portofino last month we were wondering why they didn't check our Early Entry into IOA at the gate. But then they were waiting at Seuss Landing to check the hotel cards. It appears to be a much better system. It seems it would be easier for the TM's since the check area is much narrower than the IOA entrance. And conversely, its better for the guests & Universal since entry seemed quicker & it's somewhere for the people who don't have early entry to hang out & spend a few bucks.

This is how we are doing EPA now, mostly because of Starbucks, but just about the entire events staff prefers sorting inside the park. And for the people who don't have EPA, they at least have Starbucks and a couple of shops open to occupy their time, and Croissant Moon usually opens about 8:30 as well. This has so many more advantages, but expect the set-up to change slightly during peak seasons.

Please also be aware that because of Cabana Bay, our EPA attendance has increased by quite a bit.

thanks for the explanation!

I didn't even think of the opportunity to shop/get breakfast and such. Make so much sense ;-)

This is actually from the early days of potter EPA. With the large crowds of regular guests there all of POE was open. At the end of POE Hotel guests would go right after showing their room key and head back to potter (and right past Cat in the Hat which was also part of EPA then). And regular guests were held in POE until Marvel was ready (They were opening Marvel before the rest of the park for regular guests who were waiting around)

So, the fact that the dragon is not completed and that we haven't had full TM previews yet is making me believe that softs will not occur until after the press events next week. I think it was Disneyhead who said this might follow the same pattern as 7DMT. He may be spot on. Supposedly there is a webcast scheduled for Monday where I think they might announce the opening date as being later in June, perhaps Friday June 27th just before the packages start. I suppose TM previews could happen this weekend, followed by the press days and then possibly move right into softs for a week or so until grand opening.

Hmm, I know we keep grasping at straws here...but this is an interesting development. Why would they be putting out these signs in the area if no one from the general public is going to be inside to see them? TMs likely don't need the signage.

Special event eh? #potterwatch #DiagonAlley pic.twitter.com/4ffSg2EMKe

Edit: Nevermind. It was confirmed they are putting the signs along the fence in the London waterfront. Perhaps a subtle signal to the potterwatchers that they are not soft opening before the media event.

Last edited:
Well, the dragon is complete, scaffolding's down - maybe we're looking at a much quicker set up than we anticipated? I know there were some issues with certain things not being up to snuff for WB but I imagine they will push overdrive to complete by the end of the press event. At least, I'm hoping they do...
I'm seriously praying we have an opening by the 21st, that's likely the only time I'll get to go for a few years unless I get some money in college...

Status
Not open for further replies.