Diagon Alley Soft Opening Watch | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Diagon Alley Soft Opening Watch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so excited to see TMs riding HE last night! Although it was a bit like being Harry Potter on Christmas morning watching Dudley open a bunch of gifts and him getting none :p

I thought, while impressive, it was only truly effective in making me really excited to ride. The elevator was cool and very fun, but I was let down when we exited and there weren't any 3D glasses and were forced to exit through a side door.

That's why I'm ok with them waiting to soft open/grand open until Gringotts is ready to roll. The idea of going through the queue and experiencing the antici...pation its meant to elicit just to have to exit just doesn't sound appealing, regardless of how impressive the queue has turned out.

To keep this on topic, I'll be heading out Sunday morning with little expectation of a soft opening, but I will be interested to see what they do with the land after the hotel package guests are done.

That's why I'm ok with them waiting to soft open/grand open until Gringotts is ready to roll. The idea of going through the queue and experiencing the antici...pation its meant to elicit just to have to exit just doesn't sound appealing, regardless of how impressive the queue has turned out.

To keep this on topic, I'll be heading out Sunday morning with little expectation of a soft opening, but I will be interested to see what they do with the land after the hotel package guests are done.

I agree with you, during media day in Diagon the ride wasn't in operation but they let us walk through the entire queue experience and once off the elevator and before the stairs there was a TM pointing us to the emergency exit...it was quite a bummer knowing how awesome it was from the night before :down:

Guys i need your help! the reason why i haven't been as active is because of school I'm back in georgia for a year. But I'm very much contemplating going to universal for fourth of july weekend. and i want to get your thoughts on if you think it would soft open anywhere from the 4th to the 6th? For me it would be an 9 hour drive and want to make sure its worth it especially if i have to brave 4th of july crowds!!!! By the way how bad do you think it will be? i usually try to stay away from the parks during the summer!

Thanks guys!!!:cheers:

- - - Updated - - -

better yet have you guys heard any whispers of annual pass holder previews? "cough couch TEEBIN...." that would solve all my problems..

Guys i need your help! the reason why i haven't been as active is because of school I'm back in georgia for a year. But I'm very much contemplating going to universal for fourth of july weekend. and i want to get your thoughts on if you think it would soft open anywhere from the 4th to the 6th? For me it would be an 9 hour drive and want to make sure its worth it especially if i have to brave 4th of july crowds!!!! By the way how bad do you think it will be? i usually try to stay away from the parks during the summer!

Thanks guys!!!:cheers:

- - - Updated - - -

better yet have you guys heard any whispers of annual pass holder previews? "cough couch TEEBIN...." that would solve all my problems..

I know absolutely nothing about park operations. Those that do were told there would be softs on June 7th and look how that turned out. There still aren't any softs that include the big ride (although that might change this evening) and even then, it is only TM's softs.

So, I wouldn't even guarantee this thing will be completely open on July 8 no matter what they have proclaimed. This ride has vexed them far longer than I have ever seen Universal vexed (short of HRRR which I deem unimportant comparatively).

I know a lot of you want soft openings so badly, but I'm telling you. You don't want to be in there with Gringotts not operational. Takes away from the area and makes it very underwhelming.

I know a lot of you want soft openings so badly, but I'm telling you. You don't want to be in there with Gringotts not operational. Takes away from the area and makes it very underwhelming.

First I've seen of anyone calling any aspect of this expansion "underwhelming." The atmosphere alone looks like it rates an A+. I see what you mean, though. Without the headliner, it probably feels like a good chunk is missing.

First I've seen of anyone calling any aspect of this expansion "underwhelming." The atmosphere alone looks like it rates an A+. I see what you mean, though. Without the headliner, it probably feels like a good chunk is missing.

I think (and correct me if I'm wrong, The Bled), that he's noting an experience in Gringotts would be less exciting if you had to walk through it (due to technical difficulties) in lieu of riding it.

If that's what was meant, I agree somewhat. However I am fascinated by behind the scenes views and understanding how an attraction works. Being in that position wouldn't phase me one bit, personally, but I know folks who wouldn't like to be in that situation.

Aside from that, if Gringotts ends up down while I'm in there, that's okay! There's still quite a bit to look at and do in the new area.

I'm curious if you've even seen it, because I don't know how anyone could call the area underwhelming. I spent almost 4 hours there Wed. night, and STILL didn't see everything. Everything about DA is so incredible that I almost forgot that I didn't ride Gringott's.

The Gringott's queue is fantastic, but I do think FJ beats them in the queue part. The rest of DA, wow, I didn't think we could top Hogsmeade, but we did, by 1000.

I went to the TM preview last night, and I do kinda have to agree that it is a little "underwhelming" without the ride. I really felt as though a lot was missing last night. Due to the weather the dragon wasn't breathing fire and the entertainment on the stage didn't take place. While visually impressive, the area did leave little to do with the shows canceled and the main attraction not operating. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed in Diagon Alley itself, but I am super disappointed that the awful weather did dampen the experience a bit.

I went to the TM preview last night, and I do kinda have to agree that it is a little "underwhelming" without the ride. I really felt as though a lot was missing last night. Due to the weather the dragon wasn't breathing fire and the entertainment on the stage didn't take place. While visually impressive, the area did leave little to do with the shows canceled and the main attraction not operating. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed in Diagon Alley itself, but I am super disappointed that the awful weather did dampen the experience a bit.

Wait, the stage is not somehow enclosed from the elements?

I could be completely off, but I tend to think guests will not get to even walk through the Gringotts queue if the ride isnt fully functional. TMs were directed out a side door backstage, right? If thats the case, I doubt we'd see them do the same thing for normal guests...theyre pretty protective of what the average person sees backstage.

I could be completely off, but I tend to think guests will not get to even walk through the Gringotts queue if the ride isnt fully functional. TMs were directed out a side door backstage, right? If thats the case, I doubt we'd see them do the same thing for normal guests...theyre pretty protective of what the average person sees backstage.

Wasn't media directed the same way? Plus during softs last time they allowed a castle visit and then you exited right before the ride down the single rider line. They could do something like this.

The door was in fact a side door, but it actually spilled you out somewhere along the exit path of Gringotts (where you can see your pictures and get back to the lockers) with no backstage being visible.

My family and I are visiting for a week starting tomorrow and leaving next Saturday. We are staying onsite and have APs so for anyone with information what are the chances we will be able to get into Diagon and/or ride gringotts? We can reschedule at a later date if it doesn't look like we can get in. What are your guys advice and thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.