Disney bans kids under 14 from entering parks alone | Inside Universal Forums

Disney bans kids under 14 from entering parks alone

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

bobwadd

V.I.P. Member
Feb 20, 2010
You never know
From NBCNews.com

Disney bans kids under 14 from entering parks alone

Disney theme parks will soon require anyone under the age of 14 to be accompanied by someone who is older than 14, a Disney spokeswoman said Saturday.

The new policy will take effect March 23 at all U.S. Walt Disney World and Disneyland resorts and parks.

"If a cast member who is working at the front gates sees a guest who appears to be younger than 14 without someone who appears to be older than that, they will engage in a conversation with the guest," Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown told NBC4.

The employee will verbally determine whether the guest is too young to enter on his or her own, since children that age typically do not carry identification with them, she said. The child’s parent or guardian would then be contacted if the visitor is underage, and that adult would need to physically come accompany the child into the park.

Disney chose the age of 14 after the company surveyed its guests and reached out to organizations that deal with child welfare, Brown said. She said both the organizations and visitors agreed on the new age limit.

"That was the age they felt was appropriate," she said. "That's also the age the Red Cross recommends for babysitting."

No particular incident triggered the change in policy, Brown added.

“We regularly review all of our policies, and we identified an opportunity to provide a consistent age of admission and address a question we occasionally get from parents, ” Brown said. "The question is just if we have a minimum age."

The Disneyland parks did not previously have a set age for solo admission, and the age rules at Walt Disney World Resort varied among the parks, she said.

"This was a move to bring a consistent age policy across our domestic resorts," Brown said.

14 is the magic number where parks typically consider guests able to make their own decisions.

If your under 14 and get thrown out of a park an adult has to go with you, if your 14 or older the parent can say "good luck".

At Universal when a child is under 42" they have to have a Supervising Companion to ride. Most people think they require an adult to ride, but really they require someone at least 14 years old.

When Universal started firmly enforcing that policy I was told where the number came from, but I can't remember.

I believe ride height requirements usually come from the liability insurance company. In the insurance company usually follows guideline issued by the ride manufacturer.

I believe ride height requirements usually come from the liability insurance company. In the insurance company usually follows guideline issued by the ride manufacturer.

The minimum to ride does come from the manufacturer, Universals height to ride without an adult is the same across all rides and is the same in all three US parks.

But I mean the age of 14 comes from some specific place, but I can't remember what it was. I just remember it was some well respected organization basically said it was the age you could care for others.

So whats the difference if a 14 year old enters the park with their parents and then they go separate ways and meet up later? And whats stopping any of these kids from fibbing and just telling the CMs they are 14?

And whats stopping any of these kids from fibbing and just telling the CMs they are 14?

"If a cast member who is working at the front gates sees a guest who appears to be younger than 14 without someone who appears to be older than that, they will engage in a conversation with the guest," Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown told NBC4.

They can find a way to slip it into the conversation.

Nothing to stop them from lying or splitting up. But Disney did their best to make sure no unaccompanied kids were in the park.

Nothing to stop them from lying or splitting up. But Disney did their best to make sure no unaccompanied kids were in the park.

That's all they can do. It still comes down to proper parenting. You (as a parent) know your child better than anyone. I am the oldest of 4, and I see huge differences of myself at 14, and my sister when she was 14. Maturity levels change/are different for every kid. Disney can only do so much, it ultimately comes down to the parent taking ownership of their child.

I went to Universal when I was 15 with my 13 year old sister more times than I can count. We never wrecked the place or caused issues. The amount of teenagers who WON'T act up in these scenarios is significantly more surprising than most of you will believe. I'm sure someone will refer to a scenario where they saw teenagers acting stupid at Disney, but I can refer to just as many where 40 year old's have. I suppose I was considered a chaperon to her and I can understand really young kids, but to a certain degree I can't wrap my head around teenagers.