Disney Cracking Down on Selfie Sticks | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Cracking Down on Selfie Sticks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 15, 2012
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/19/disney-selfie-sticks_n_7310946.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...onger-selfie-stick-warning-20150518-post.html

So on Friday, Walt Disney World went a step further to make that point. It posted a "No Selfie Sticks" sign at the Magic Kingdom's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Guests can bring selfie sticks on the rides but must securely store them, a Disney spokeswoman said Monday.

Disney policy forbids visitors from using the sticks, which can be used to extend cameras out for up to 3 feet, on its rides.

A few weeks ago, Disney told workers to remind guests of that policy.

Still, Thunder Mountain has had an especially high number of incidents in which the ride had to be stopped because of selfie-stick use.

Similar signs have been posted at Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland in California.

The signs are "just a continuation of our communication efforts at a few key attractions," Disney said in an email.

they should be banned from society.

Hate those narcissisticks, absolutely hate them and just don't understand the fascination with taking a picture of yourself no matter where you go. I actually saw a guy walking into the park one day, holding TWO of these stupid things behind him, doing what appeared to be photographing his butt as he walked, from 2 different angles. Now THAT's narcissistic.

I have a "friend" on facebook that literally brings her selfie stick everywhere. Like the grocery store. I want to unfriend her, but I just can't look away from the trainwreck. She actually posted a "thunder mountain" selfie video too, which I find pretty hillarious. She's part of the problem.

I try to photobomb these people as much as humanly possible. As for the iPads, I would love to turn those into high tech Frisbees.

Last edited:
iPad photography is never going to go away. People will always see the large screen as giving better photos than a phone "because I can see more". Oh well. Good to see Disney stand up against selfie sticks.

Its official, they are COMPLETELY banned now

Disney World is banning selfie-sticks from its theme parks, citing safety concerns, a company spokeswoman said Friday morning.

Under a new policy, which takes effect Tuesday, the poles won’t make it past the bag check at any Disney World theme park. The sticks also won't be allowed in Disney World water parks or DisneyQuest, a gaming attraction at Downtown Disney.

"We strive to provide a great experience for the entire family, and unfortunately selfie-sticks have become a growing safety concern for both our guests and cast," Disney World spokeswoman Kim Prunty said.

Selfie-sticks will also become forbidden at Disneyland Resort in California on June 30. The prohibition kicks in at Disney's parks in Paris and Hong Kong on July 1.

Guests will be checked for the equipment during the routine bag check that happens near the parks' entrances. They will have an option of turning in their selfie-sticks for pick-up later or to go back to their cars or hotel rooms to stow them.

Walt Disney World has posted a "No Selfie Sticks" sign at the Magic Kingdom's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. (Video by FOX35)

Several incidents preceded the change, but officials have been discussing the rules for some time, Disney said. This week at Disney California Adventure park, a roller coaster was halted after a passenger pulled out a selfie-stick. The ride was closed for an hour.

Selfie-stick users put smartphones and cameras on the ends of poles to extend their reach, frequently capturing theme-park moments through self-portraits. The tools have been banned in public places – including some museums and stadiums – worldwide for obstructing views or causing safety issues.

Disney World already prohibits items such as skateboards, inline skates, wagon, folding chairs and glass containers, according to its official website, which also lists “other items that we determine may be harmful or disruptive.”

Universal Orlando has prohibited banned selfie-sticks and other loose items from certain thrill rides at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure theme parks, but it has not instituted parkwide bans. SeaWorld Orlando also does not keep the sticks from entering the parks.
[\QUOTE]

Good work! Hopefully this includes Go Pros on sticks. The number of people who walk around filming, I can't see that there's many that actually go through the hours of footage and make a video

Don't know, but I hope not. It's completely harmless in comparison to selfie sticks.

I guess there's a big difference to GoPros in one foot long sticks. To the long 3 foot extendable things. And what about monopods