Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread

Sounds terrible...
I mean, they've already supposedly drawn up plans for the next 20 movies after this phase ends with Avengers 4.

Also worth noting that Sebastian Stan (aka Bucky) signed a 9 movie deal originally, so he could easily end up being Captain America after Chris Evans, since he'd still have a bunch of movies left.

Honestly, a way I can see X-Men intergrated, is from aftereffects from the battles of Infinity War (and presumably Infinity Gauntlet) causing people all around the world to start getting mutations, and with government programs starting up to prevent if the Avengers turns.

It could then lead the way to Origins for Wolverine, Mystique, Professor X and Magneto and more mutants with more possible ease, with it being different than the Singer/Fox X-Men universes.
Yeah that's a possibility; I think they'll change their original plans; like I said above, Marvel had already planned another 20 movies after Avengers 4, but that's probably before this Fox purchase came to light.

They can easily slot X-Men into there, and Scarlet Witch-Magneto is a natural connection as well.

The article says that "no deal between Disney and Fox is imminent and several issues have yet to be fully negotiated, the sources said." Yeah, no surprise, Fox is still trying to analyze Comcast and some other potential buyers. It could take weeks or months.

I'm pretty surprised at the regional Sports channels potentially being included in this, but then again Disney doesn't own any regional networks. Comcast already has the NBC Sports regional channels so if they ended up winning out, those would likely have to be cut out of a deal.

As a Marvel fan, I want Disney to get this deal done so the MCU can be complete. It would create more of a monopoly on the film industry, but Disney isn't putting a gun to Murdoch's head to get this done.

As for the theme parks, does anyone have more in depth details on how this could effect the Simpsons at Universal? How do the contracts compare with the Marvel one? I actually hope Disney can kill it simply because TSR is my least favorite ride at UOR currently. I'd like to see that space be put to better use.

As a Marvel fan, I want Disney to get this deal done so the MCU can be complete. It would create more of a monopoly on the film industry, but Disney isn't putting a gun to Murdoch's head to get this done.

As for the theme parks, does anyone have more in depth details on how this could effect the Simpsons at Universal? How do the contracts compare with the Marvel one? I actually hope Disney can kill it simply because TSR is my least favorite ride at UOR currently. I'd like to see that space be put to better use.
The contract for The Simpsons could probably be pulled if Disney had some urging desire, but that's not the Disney i've come to know from a business perspective. They would look at this as another way of making money off of their closest competitor in both Orlando and SoCal. It would be poor a business move to not just let yourself collect the checks.

Where Disney would benefit most when it comes to parks is with Avatar... they would no longer have to pay FOX.

Next near to impossible, Universal has the theme park rights to The Simpsons and Disney does not. We currently don't have access online for the contract between 20th Century Fox and Universal Parks & Resorts regarding The Simpsons, as we do with Marvel Entertainment and Universal Parks & Resorts. It might put a stranglehold on the Simpsons area possibly forever because getting rid of it would also give Disney a competitive advantage. Unlike Disney, a good chunk of the themed attractions at Universal parks are not from the Universal-owned library, a real disadvantage compared to Disney parks which uses their own IPs.

Anyways, I really hope this Disney/Fox deal doesn't go through, as noted in the article, there are some serious tweaks that need to be fixed. Disney own too much popular brand and could put a stranglehold on the entertainment industry in this country given the way it leverages behind the scenes and its dirty politics in Anaheim.

The Simpsons contract probably has a length somewhere around 20-25 years based on what most of these contracts look like. Harry Potter signed around the same time was of that length and expires on July 30, 2029.

So I'd venture that Simpsons will be around for at least another decade, though it'd likely end up as a situation where Universal goes in a different direction after it expires.

Also, I'd point out that typically both sides would need to agree to end a contract like this before the expiration date, i.e. the Marvel contract has no expiration date so Universal can keep it as long as it wants.

One final thing: "change of control" provisions that allow a licensor to withdraw a license typically only apply to the theme parks changing hands, not the content owner. i.e. Warner Bros. is allowed to withdraw their DC/Loony Toons rights from Six Flags if Six Flags is bought by a competitor.

Last edited:
Does anyone think we might see franchise swapping if this goes through? As a example Disney trades the Simpsons and Family Guy to Sony for the rights to Spider-Man. Or Disney trading something to Comcast for the distribution rights to the Hulk and Namor the Submariner.

Does anyone think we might see franchise swapping if this goes through? As a example Disney trades the Simpsons and Family Guy to Sony for the rights to Spider-Man. Or Disney trading something to Comcast for the distribution rights to the Hulk and Namor the Submariner.

I think Fox lost Daredevil and the characters around him, because they weren't using them for ten years.

The last Hulk film was in 2008, and that I would think that once we reach that ten year mark, it could be back in the hands of Marvel Studios on using him for solo films.

Are you sure. I thought Disney already had the rights to make a Hulk solo movie. If I am not mistaken Universal just has the rights to distribute the film for Marvel. If that is true than that is a different type of deal than the one Marvel had with Fox for Daredevil.

Are you sure. I thought Disney already had the rights to make a Hulk solo movie. If I am not mistaken Universal just has the rights to distribute the film for Marvel. If that is true than that is a different type of deal than the one Marvel had with Fox for Daredevil.
You’re basically right.

They can use the character, but a Stand-alone needs to be produced through Universal currently, which Disney isn’t going to do.

I doubt this is true, but going around the internet is BOTH Comcast/Disney are talking together with Fox. Could it be possible that Disney acquires X-Men/Avatar and whatever fits their portfolio while Comcast receives some of the rights? Disney wouldn't need/want a lot of Fox's R-Rated films so maybe Comcast acquired them?

Either way, I don't like this. Not good for competition.

I doubt this is true, but going around the internet is BOTH Comcast/Disney are talking together with Fox. Could it be possible that Disney acquires X-Men/Avatar and whatever fits their portfolio while Comcast receives some of the rights? Disney wouldn't need/want a lot of Fox's R-Rated films so maybe Comcast acquired them?

No doubt it isn’t great for competition, but if this goes through, Netflix and Amazon Prime will become a main place for creators to turn to and they will likely produce even more than they currently are. For instance, Netflix is releasing almost 100 movies next year alone.

Disney/Comcast going in together would be the best case scenario. Most likely means they would make a new subsidiary and if that was to go to public, other competitors could have the potential to buy into that library as well.

It would be similar to when Comcast and Sony owned MGM for a short time back in 2000s before their shares were bought out by a private equity group. So its not unprecedented for Comcast to do this, and in addition, if Fox wants to package some assets that Disney doesn't want to buy having someone else in a joint buy may help push them to agree to sell as those assets would be able to leave as well. It also protects Hulu. Fox shares split between Disney/Comcast prevents certain issues than one having majority power.

I also don’t think this point can be underscored: the article mentioned that if the deal goes through, Rupert Murdoch’s son, James Murdoch, would receive a “executive level position” at Disney.

With Iger looking to kick the can on the whole boss-man thing soon, they could also be buying themselves a CEO candidate Wall Street would approve of in James Murdoch.

I hate the thought of that and I also hate how possible it is.

I also don’t think this point can be underscored: the article mentioned that if the deal goes through, Rupert Murdoch’s son, James Murdoch, would receive a “executive level position” at Disney.

With Iger looking to kick the can on the whole boss-man thing soon, they could also be buying themselves a CEO candidate Wall Street would approve of in James Murdoch.

My understanding is this will be less Disney buying Fox and more Fox leveraging Disney itself to buy them. This is Not Good (tm).

Yea, I don't think Wall street would be good with him. He couldn't close on the Ten Network Deal, under his leadership the largest newspaper in the UK had to shut down due to a huge scandal. The biggest issue will be the DOJ approval as president Trump may have some issues with James being CEO of Disney and influence the deal just like they are doing with the ATT/TW deal

My understanding is this will be less Disney buying Fox and more Fox leveraging Disney itself to buy them. This is Not Good (tm).
Disney could morph into Fox down the line when you think of it.

Put James in the CEO role, shut down ABC News and anything associated and they are then in the clear to buy Fox News and Fox Business.