Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread

To put a bow on The Simpsons thing, common sense media, which takes reviews from parents, kids and expert reviews to let parents know what the suggested age is for kids to be to watch. The expert review suggests 12+ while Parents and Kids say 10+. The Simpsons TV Review

As a point of reference, i'll give the same scores for Avengers: Endgame. The expert review has Endgame at 13+, Parent at 12+ and Kids saying 11+. Avengers: Endgame Movie Review

I wouldn’t call Aerosmith family friendly but it works in Disney.
Still hilarious that Steven Tyler snuck the shocker in there for 18 years before Disney noticed :lol:

Disney closed on their $9.6B deal to sell off the RSNs to Sinclair Broadcasting yesterday. Sinclair is interested in buying up AT&T's RSNs now as well.

Meanwhile at Disney HQ:
8ubGFLt.gif

Funny how only Rocky Horror was spared that exception. You figure that shows like that get people into the older films and help make them fans. Either way, not a good look on them.

Meanwhile at Disney HQ:
8ubGFLt.gif

Funny how only Rocky Horror was spared that exception. You figure that shows like that get people into the older films and help make them fans. Either way, not a good look on them.

Pretty much this, but I guess since the House of Mouse is so big it can brush off criticisms easily without anyone actually stopping them.

Movie theater business needs to adapt. The product they offer is not worth the price they are charging when I get a ton of movies at home from streaming services.
They especially need to adapt away from the 90-day minimum window most major theaters try to still hang onto. The fact of the matter is that films make the vast majority of their money in the first 14 days of release. There's no reason for movies to be required to keep a movie in theaters for so long when they make most of the money upfront.

I fear it's gonna take Disney threatening to take something like, a Star Wars, Pixar or Marvel movie straight to Disney+ if they won't agree to change their business model. Or WB threatening to take a big DC move straight to HBO MAX. Or Universal saying they're taking Jurassic World and Fast 9 to streaming.

Interesting times, we're in. So much is happening in the streaming realm and theaters can't just sit around and not adapt.

They especially need to adapt away from the 90-day minimum window most major theaters try to still hang onto. The fact of the matter is that films make the vast majority of their money in the first 14 days of release. There's no reason for movies to be required to keep a movie in theaters for so long when they make most of the money upfront.

I fear it's gonna take Disney threatening to take something like, a Star Wars, Pixar or Marvel movie straight to Disney+ if they won't agree to change their business model. Or WB threatening to take a big DC move straight to HBO MAX. Or Universal saying they're taking Jurassic World and Fast 9 to streaming.

Interesting times, we're in. So much is happening in the streaming realm and theaters can't just sit around and not adapt.

What are you talking about...its Disney that demands their movies be shown in the biggest theaters for at least 4 weeks.

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi': Why Disney Is Pressuring U.S. Theaters

That was 2 years ago. With Disney+ and the new Netflix model of Theatrical and to home release timing I am sure Disney will have a different view. Although big blockbusters like Star Wars may be the exception.
Agreed, I expect a dramatic shift in theatrical releases over the next few years as the streaming services continue to create more and more original content.

Movie theater business needs to adapt. The product they offer is not worth the price they are charging when I get a ton of movies at home from streaming services.
Theaters need to focus on the experience over the films now. I avoid big multiplexes but actively seek out Alamo Drafthouses (and similar) and will see a movie I'm only marginally interested in just to go. That's what you can't get with streaming.

Last edited:
Theaters wise I just hate the way the rest of the population behaves while there, it's more that than prices that keeps me away.

I just don't see this merger being good for the industry or the public, Disney have too much power IMO.

That was 2 years ago. With Disney+ and the new Netflix model of Theatrical and to home release timing I am sure Disney will have a different view. Although big blockbusters like Star Wars may be the exception.

Netflix is already having issues with theatres banning their movies because of their release schedule. With practical no European theatres allowing their films to be shown and getting laws passed to prevent the site from showing in theatres and then putting it on streaming. So unless Disney doesn't want to open in the European markets, they won't change their ways.

Netflix's The Irishman Won't Be Shown in Major Theaters - The Atlantic
In snub of Netflix, AMC and Regal cinemas won't show ‘Roma’ as part of Oscars showcases - Los Angeles Times
German cinema owners at war with Netflix? | Film | DW | 01.10.2018
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
German Cinema Group Issues Netflix Warning Amid Growing Euro Angst – Deadline
France strikes back against Netflix to protect its ‘cultural exception’
Italy rolls out 'anti-Netflix' law to protect local film industry, Entertainment News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Theaters wise I just hate the way the rest of the population behaves while there, it's more that than prices that keeps me away.

I just don't see this merger being good for the industry or the public, Disney have too much power IMO.

I wonder if Sky hasn't come into play at all during the midst of the Fox acquisition process for both Comcast/NBCU and Disney, Comcast/NBCU might go full-blown on acquiring Fox entertainment assets and possibly win the bidding war against Disney. I mean, sure, it might put the company into a whole lot of debt than Disney, but it's not like it's going to bankrupt them so bad to the core, as it is a fairly large and stable company that would pay off eventually, and in desperate need of appealing content.

I feel bad for the independent cinemas but the reality their product is less and less of a consumer demand. Most people don't want to go to the theaters anymore. Sure there are demographics that still will go but the niche art houses are a dying breed. Just a sign of the times.

I'm not entirely on board with the Disney is the Great Satan train, but "theaters are dying" isn't really an excuse for kicking them while they're down like this.