Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My understanding is they want to operate through the summer to get an understanding and procedures in place for the summer storms. It makes sense to know the evacuation procedures and how long it will take to do a full evac when a storm comes up rather than get caught off guard. While they "know" they'll have to evac when a storm approaches, actually doing it may be a different matter.

Also, apparently Doppelmayr is under contract to oversee the system for five years, so they will have company representatives on site when hurricanes and other big storms hit until they know exactly what the impact will be.

The system is pretty clearly ready to open tomorrow if they really needed. The thing is the don’t need it open for tomorrow. They need ops to be comfortable running it so that they are ready for SWGE.

While they are testing, are the actual stations done? Pics I've seen suggest they could be months away from being done.

While they are testing, are the actual stations done? Pics I've seen suggest they could be months away from being done.

Stations still have some work to do. The only ones close to finish are Pop/AoA and DHS. Epcot, Caribbean and Riviera stations still have some work to do. And you need the Caribbean station completed for any line to open.

Reactions: fryoj
So...they have to close this during a thunderstorm?

Probably high winds and lightning.
The winds would have to be extreme for them to close because of winds, but lightning yes. Typically, Disney closes when lightning is within 5 miles. I assume since it has three separate lines that if there's lightning over near Pop/AoA, but not the other stations, then they just shut that one line down. Same goes for DHS or Epcot lines. The big thing will be the Caribbean Beach Resort as it's the hub... that shuts down all three lines.

Of course all of this is assuming that's how they're going to run it.

A transportation system that ceases to work in a thunderstorm will be almost useless in the summer. Especially during those mid afternoon storms when a lot of people are leaving the park.

There’s likely a middle ground between rain and lightning versus sideways rain and a threat of electrical system failure.

Reactions: natespf
There’s likely a middle ground between rain and lightning versus sideways rain and a threat of electrical system failure.

All I know is that I'm prepping my, "Auntie Em, I don't think I'm in Florida anymore" if a twister comes through. Although, maybe a twister won't come close since that is trademarked by Universal.

A transportation system that ceases to work in a thunderstorm will be almost useless in the summer. Especially during those mid afternoon storms when a lot of people are leaving the park.
It will likely only have to go down once per day as there's normally just a quick thunderstorm in the afternoon and then it's over. And the afternoon is normally when the least amount of people are traveling to the parks anyway. When the Skyliner has to go down, they will be running extra buses, but I don't think it will be as bad as some people think overall.

All I know is that I'm prepping my, "Auntie Em, I don't think I'm in Florida anymore" if a twister comes through. Although, maybe a twister won't come close since that is trademarked by Universal.
Maybe Universal can trade the Twister rights to Disney so they can keep Simpson forever.

Reactions: GadgetGuru