Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

Some of you are way overreacting. (I say that assuming no one was/is hurt) those stuck on the line were never in danger. Heck, I wouldn’t even mind, can you imagine what Disney is going to comp these people?

Now clearly this is unacceptable, needs to be investigated to ensure a crash like this never happens again. But some of the reactions are as if Disney knowingly installed a dangerous machine, or we just standing around going “well dang. Not sure what to do.”

I love how people love to blame Chapek for every little issue. The toilet water spins the wrong way? CHAPEK!
The difference is that I know the entire back story of this thing.

Please, regale me with a story of how Staggs overruled building a walkway across BVD in favor of this.

And yes, Chapek is as dumb as a rock. Truth hurts I guess :shrug:

Well, now my wife really isn't going to ride in one of these! What a cluster for Disney. An embarrassment. Hopefully no one was seriously hurt.
Hope she isn't planning on riding the monorails, busses and watercrafts either since all of those have had serious (and fatal) accidents as well....

I don’t believe that’s been 100% confirmed yet, but either way, it’s about public perception.

Perception > Reality
Monrail - 2 major collisions (including one death) and multiple fires---- people still ride them
Watercraft - several incidents including ferryboats crashing into piers --- people still ride them
Disney Busses - multiple collisions including deaths -- people still ride them

People have a very short memory on these kinds of issues.

Monrail - 2 major collisions (including one death) and multiple fires---- people still ride them
Watercraft - several incidents including ferryboats crashing into piers --- people still ride them

I mean, the gondolas are free-hanging in the air as they move via the cables. And if you were to be in a small box, trapped without any means of escape for over 90 to 120 minutes; how would you react as the gondolas's swing from the wind?

Also, this isn't exactly as if the system was constructed and tested for a short period: this thing's been testing and cycling for months, and they didn't account for an issue like what happened tonight to occur (I do think part of this is both on Doppelmayr and Disney, for a few reasons).

Some of you are way overreacting. (I say that assuming no one was/is hurt) those stuck on the line were never in danger. Heck, I wouldn’t even mind, can you imagine what Disney is going to comp these people?

Now clearly this is unacceptable, needs to be investigated to ensure a crash like this never happens again. But some of the reactions are as if Disney knowingly installed a dangerous machine, or we just standing around going “well dang. Not sure what to do.”

Only not a big deal because it was not 6 hours ealier. Disney was INSANELY lucky this happened on a cool night.

I mean, the gondolas are free-hanging in the air as they move via the cables. And if you were to be in a small box, trapped without any means of escape for over 90 to 120 minutes; how would you react as the gondolas's swing from the wind?

Also, this isn't exactly as if the system was constructed and tested for a short period: this thing's been testing and cycling for months, and they didn't account for an issue like what happened tonight to occur (I do think part of this is both on Doppelmayr and Disney, for a few reasons).
Is that any worse that being trapped on a monorail engulfed in flames up in the air with no way down? That happened too... and they didn't even have the roof evacuation system then

None of those happened on a Saturday night with full social media coverage six days after it opened.

Will the Skyline be torn down, no. WIll most of the "Skyliner #1 looks unsafe" and "Skyliner #1 scares me" people ever ride it now? Doubtful.

We haven't gotten the stories of kids flipping out in the gondolas for hours yet. I mean, with all the autistic kids there now, all needing Assistance Passes, there has to be some crazy stories about to come out.

Is that any worse that being trapped on a monorail engulfed in flames up in the air with no way down? That happened too... and they didn't even have the roof evacuation system then

Do you have multiple pictures/videos of that fire, and onboard videos?

None of those happened on a Saturday night with full social media coverage six days after it opened.

Will the Skyline be torn down, no. WIll most of the "Skyliner #1 looks unsafe" and "Skyliner #1 scares me" people ever ride it now? Doubtful.

We haven't gotten the stories of kids flipping out in the gondolas for hours yet. I mean, with all the autistic kids there now, all needing Assistance Passes, there has to be some crazy stories about to come out.

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/monorailaccidents.htm

The monorail fire was so well known it even inspired a musical parody called "Monorail Inferno" that ran at the Fringe Festival.
This is what the news calls a 7-day-wonder. In a while people will forget about it. Just like the monorail collisions, the ferryboats, Big Thunder derailment death, PeopleMover accidents, etc etc.

The monorail fire was so well known it even inspired a musical parody called "Monorail Inferno" that ran at the Fringe Festival.
This is what the news calls a 7-day-wonder. In a while people will forget about it. Just like the monorail collisions, the ferryboats, Big Thunder derailment death, PeopleMover accidents, etc etc.

The monrail fire was decades ago, correct? Well, not the CA State fair one this summer, but that's a whole other thread.

The Big Thunder death was also before social media was a thing. And again, it was after decades of operation.

This could be bad luck, or the beginning of a really bad trend. If there is another issue with the Skyliner soon, that will be the big one. Failures at the beginning of a ride's life are a much bigger issue than one after millions of successful operational hours.

A coaster had an issue in Japan a few years ago hours after opening. It operated for the public for a grand total of about 4-6 hours, and is no longer in existence. Japan is very superstitious, but early failures scare off folks.

If you still want to argue that point... Boeing 737 MAX.

Impossible to know that at this point.
This was a combination of power and mechanical failure. One of those is something that was the problem of the municipality, the other of which is a Doppelmayr problem.

The difference is that I know the entire back story of this thing.

Please, regale me with a story of how Staggs overruled building a walkway across BVD in favor of this.

And yes, Chapek is as dumb as a rock. Truth hurts I guess :shrug:
Please tell me that this isn’t what you think the entirety of the Skyliner Story to be, because... no.

If anything, this isn't great news and doesn't help Disney who is already having a tough time. I'm sure they do everything possible to prevent this in the future if only for their investors.
Just to be safe, do your number 1 and 2 before entering the cable car.

So far the comp were gift cards and one day park hoppers, according to some posts on Disney oriented sites......Mickey Blog is reporting that the Skyliner is closed indefinitely at this point in time (photos on the closed signs on their site). They are saying Disney originally did not acknowledge it as an accident, but now Disney has changed their response and are stating an accident occurred.

Last edited: