Disney Springs Discussion | Page 96 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Springs Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Between Zara and Blaze Pizza, in one of the last empty storefronts, a Disney Ticket Center and a satellite Orange County Sheriffs Office will be opening within the next few months.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Between Zara and Blaze Pizza, in one of the last empty storefronts, a Disney Ticket Center and a satellite Orange County Sheriffs Office will be opening within the next few months.
These make sense. I'm not surprised they couldn't find anyone else to occupy those spots because A). They're relatively small. B). Not the best location. and C). 3rd party stores are presumably still struggling at DS.

These make sense. I'm not surprised they couldn't find anyone else to occupy those spots because A). They're relatively small. B). Not the best location. and C). 3rd party stores are presumably still struggling at DS.
Why would you presume third party locations are struggling? Stores are constantly busy when i'm there and none have closed since Town Center opened in 2016.

I agree though about those locations. They're a bit tucked away so for what Disney charges it's probably not worth it for most folks (although OCSO is technically third party).

Why would you presume third party locations are struggling? Stores are constantly busy when i'm there and none have closed since Town Center opened in 2016.

I agree though about those locations. They're a bit tucked away so for what Disney charges it's probably not worth it for most folks (although OCSO is technically third party).
In 2016, when DS first became DS I was on my CP at Once Upon a Toy, Mickey's Pantry, and Disney Fun Finds. At the time (late December) I was told by former trainers (they closed the entire DS training department for budget cuts) that Disney management was considering the Town Center "experiment" to be a bit of a failure and that stores were losing money. Guest complaints have ranged from "the brands are too luxury" to " I can get this stuff at home" which is what ultimately hurt business from the beginning.

In 2016, when DS first became DS I was on my CP at Once Upon a Toy, Mickey's Pantry, and Disney Fun Finds. At the time (late December) I was told by former trainers (they closed the entire DS training department for budget cuts) that Disney management was considering the Town Center "experiment" to be a bit of a failure and that stores were losing money. Guest complaints have ranged from "the brands are too luxury" to " I can get this stuff at home" which is what ultimately hurt business from the beginning.
Idk, maybe that's the case, but i'm there fairly often and the place is packed. Especially stores like Uniqlo, Zara, Under Armour, Stance, etc. Food additions like The Polite Pig and Chicken Guy have helped, too. The third garage hasn't even opened yet and i've heard they've already approved funding for a fourth garage.

Reactions: RevFreako
Idk, maybe that's the case, but i'm there fairly often and the place is packed. Especially stores like Uniqlo, Zara, Under Armour, Stance, etc. Food additions like The Polite Pig and Chicken Guy have helped, too. The third garage hasn't even opened yet and i've heard they've already approved funding for a fourth garage.
I think the food is great. I truly think that's what brings people to the Springs. I believe people enjoy shopping at the Disney-run stores and the few truly unique stores...until UniQlo opened you would hardly see anyone carrying bags other than Lego, Disney, Under Armour, and Sephora. I haven't been back since, but I'd love to see how many guests are carrying bags now.

I think the food is great. I truly think that's what brings people to the Springs. I believe people enjoy shopping at the Disney-run stores and the few truly unique stores...until UniQlo opened you would hardly see anyone carrying bags other than Lego, Disney, Under Armour, and Sephora. I haven't been back since, but I'd love to see how many guests are carrying bags now.
To your point about the Disney-run stores, I have noticed an increase in some Disney run specialty stores of all kinds in both Town Center and the new store that replaced Harley-Davidson's old location (it moved to Town Center), which focuses on park-specific merchandise. Another big home-run has been The VOID.

To your point about the Disney-run stores, I have noticed an increase in some Disney run specialty stores of all kinds in both Town Center and the new store that replaced Harley-Davidson's old location (it moved to Town Center), which focuses on park-specific merchandise. Another big home-run has been The VOID.
(RIP Star Wars and Marvel rooms at OUAT.) Yeah, that's mostly where I think they're heading, more Disney-run stores and more control over the merchandise experience. I would not be surprised if they eventually add a Disney Sports store again or more specialty stores, in general.

(RIP Star Wars and Marvel rooms at OUAT.) Yeah, that's mostly where I think they're heading, more Disney-run stores and more control over the merchandise experience. I would not be surprised if they eventually add a Disney Sports store again or more specialty stores, in general.
I'm wondering if maybe Disney will partner with the NBA and sell ESPN-branded merch in the gift shop of The NBA Experience.

I'm wondering if maybe Disney will partner with the NBA and sell ESPN-branded merch in the gift shop of The NBA Experience.
I wouldn't be surprised. West Side merch used to be the Marvel Store, the Star Wars Store, Candy Cauldron, Strollers, and DisneyQuest. Now it's just Star Wars and Candy Cauldron (assuming zones haven't changed.)

I wouldn't be surprised. West Side merch used to be the Marvel Store, the Star Wars Store, Candy Cauldron, Strollers, and DisneyQuest. Now it's just Star Wars and Candy Cauldron (assuming zones haven't changed.)
The Marvel store is still there and there's a new, super-popular Disney parks specialty store there on the corner called "Disney Style":
5DAD651E-5311-4119-8AB1-F12DFB7C1665.jpeg

E0F2DE95-6A32-43E5-ADF5-D12E1069D977.jpeg

7B68A523-7847-49C5-9D47-D8DAA7661E4D.jpeg

The Marvel store is still there and there's a new, super-popular Disney parks specialty store there on the corner called "Disney Style":

I meant to include DisneyStyle...but how weird...the Marvel Store isn't on the website. The size of DisneyStyle is pretty sizable though...so it's a toss-up. Man, that Zone had one of the worst leads at Disney.

I meant to include DisneyStyle...but how weird...the Marvel Store isn't on the website. The size of DisneyStyle is pretty sizable though...so it's a toss-up. Man, that Zone had one of the worst leads at Disney.
I wonder if the Marvel store isn't on the website since it literally has MARVEL in the store name? The Marvel-Universal contract strictly prohibits Disney from using the word "Marvel" in their parks or in marketing. Disney Springs makes it through some loophole.

I knew Disney would capitalize/take over the Etsy "custom T-Shirt" market with cutesy phrases.

I'm surprised they don't offer it in check-out while you book a vacation package. $25 for a t-shirt that says "Andysol Family Vacation 2019 - Dad, Mom, etc". They'd sell like hotcakes. Maybe I should work in Disney's marketing.

I wonder if the Marvel store isn't on the website since it literally has MARVEL in the store name? The Marvel-Universal contract strictly prohibits Disney from using the word "Marvel" in their parks or in marketing. Disney Springs makes it through some loophole.
Nevermind, it's on there. It's the Super Hero Headquarters.

The loophole is that you don't buy a ticket to Disney Springs, so it isn't considered a park for purposes of the contract.

The loophole is that you don't buy a ticket to Disney Springs, so it isn't considered a park for purposes of the contract.

The loophole is they don't use "Marvel" in the name--it's "Super Hero HQ" (that just happens to not sell anything DC).

Tho you are correct, Springs is not a "theme park" per the contract. But IIRC, it's been a minute since I read it, using the word "Marvel" in any sort of promotion is prohibited, or at least a grey area. Even for characters they own--don't expect "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy" in EPCOT. They also want to avoid any appearance of the store being akin to the Planet Hollywood rip-off Marvel was contemplating in the 90s.

FWIW, I think Comcast's lawyers are good enough they could shut down that store in a day if they wanted to. There's a fair amount of play in the contract, and it's weighted toward UOR. But if your Distinguished Competition wants to sell merch promoting your #1 coaster, why stop them? Now if the Avengers popped up in The Void, different story entirely...

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
The loophole is they don't use "Marvel" in the name--it's "Super Hero HQ" (that just happens to not sell anything DC).

Tho you are correct, Springs is not a "theme park" per the contract. But IIRC, it's been a minute since I read it, using the word "Marvel" in any sort of promotion is prohibited, or at least a grey area. Even for characters they own--don't expect "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy" in EPCOT. They also want to avoid any appearance of the store being akin to the Planet Hollywood rip-off Marvel was contemplating in the 90s.

FWIW, I think Comcast's lawyers are good enough they could shut down that store in a day if they wanted to. There's a fair amount of play in the contract, and it's weighted toward UOR. But if your Distinguished Competition wants to sell merch promoting your #1 coaster, why stop them? Now if the Avengers popped up in The Void, different story entirely...

They actually do use Marvel now. They didn't when it opened,but it changed, I think right before our last pre-move trip last.

There is, however, a huge sign above Super Here Headquarters with the MARVEL wording, making the store name look like "MARVEL Super Hero Headquarters".

Family-Fun-at-Disney-Springs-13-1024x683.jpg