Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney to charge for parking at resorts?

Yes. CBBR is less than the deluxes.....At least now we won't have to listen to someone popping over here from one of the Disney boards and gloating about how they don't pay for parking at WDW...Seriously though, it always made sense for Universal to charge for hotel parking, since like Disneyland hotels that also charge parking fees, they are close to the parks and people going to the parks would scam and fill up all the hotel parking spaces if they were free....With WDW though, since most of the hotels are far from the parks and they have unlimited space, parking charges were something they could always avoid if they wanted.

You can add severely limited space to this as well. This has really pissed me off and I've made my thoughts about parking at Universal clear so far. Staying at Disney was working out as a great deal as you were essentially saving $22 a day by having the free parking at the resorts and parks, add Disney Dining on top of this and it was a bargain. I had my doubts because of the location but I could justify it, especially since I could get a bus to the parks and drink to my hearts content.

Don't kid yourself, this is to discourage those that are flying in from renting a car and going to Universal.

That's the reason I'm feeling too. By the time you rent a car and pay for parking to go off site for even something as simple as going for food or shopping, the money saved would justify going to Disney Springs.

Orlando is becoming more and more car unfriendly and they don't have the infrastructure to support this new direction.

I wouldn't mind this new direction as much if I thought for a second that this new cash influx would be reinvested into the resort but I doubt it. You're talking about 35,000 rooms and if about 25% of them are paying for parking at an average of $15 a day, that's almost $50 million a year.

Last edited:
Don't kid yourself, this is to discourage those that are flying in from renting a car and going to Universal.
Exactly, this is a win-win for them. They would prefer people use DME so they don't have a car this only makes that a more desirable option.

The really need to Upcharge The Magical Express now too.

Never going to happen. Disney likes when people are trapped on-site. Parking fees encourage that (people won't rent cars and park them). Upcharging Magical Express doesn't. That's what the Minnie Vans are for - an upcharged Magical Express.

Orlando is becoming more and more car unfriendly and they don't have the infrastructure to support this new direction.
I'm not a local (or anywhere close).

I've been under the assumption that Orlando's been slowly building up infrastructure for the city itself. But, the tourists never see any of this because the tourist attractions are further away on I-Drive. While the city is becoming more car unfriendly (like every major city, which is a good thing imo), the tourist parts are basically as car-friendly as ever.

I'm not a local (or anywhere close).

I've been under the assumption that Orlando's been slowly building up infrastructure for the city itself. But, the tourists never see any of this because the tourist attractions are further away on I-Drive. While the city is becoming more car unfriendly (like every major city, which is a good thing imo), the tourist parts are basically as car-friendly as ever.

I wouldn't agree. If you're travelling by car and plan on staying on site, you're paying for parking at the resort or paying $22 to park at the parks. Sure it's an easier solution to get between Disney and Universal and vice versa but the public transport is pretty poor if you don't want to pay for parking.

I wonder if this will see an uptake in people using Uber or Lyft.

I’m guess I’m not staying at Disney this year after all.
Someone on my IG reckons UK guests won't need to pay it till after 31 Dec 2019

Something to do with packages with operators (Virgin Hols, Thomson, Thomas Cook etc) in the UK being signed off till 2019 (you can already book a UK package for 2019).

Someone on my IG reckons UK guests won't need to pay it till after 31 Dec 2019

Something to do with packages with operators (Virgin Hols, Thomson, Thomas Cook etc) in the UK being signed off till 2019 (you can already book a UK package for 2019).

:thumbsup:

I’ll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I’ll have to really enjoy it to justify going back however.

I got this from a Facebook group

Anyone who is worrying about Disney parking charges, here is an update from Disney

HOTEL PARKING AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

You may have seen reports that standard overnight hotel self-parking for guests staying at Disney Resort Hotels at Walt Disney World Resort will incur a fee that will be applied to hotel folio upon check-out.

For UK and Ireland guests this only applies to reservations made December 31st 2019 and after.

All EXISTING and NEW 2018 and 2019 UK and Ireland guests staying at Disney Resort Hotels will continue to enjoy free hotel parking for 2018 and 2019, and free parking at the theme parks and at Disney Springs”

I got this from a Facebook group

Anyone who is worrying about Disney parking charges, here is an update from Disney

HOTEL PARKING AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

You may have seen reports that standard overnight hotel self-parking for guests staying at Disney Resort Hotels at Walt Disney World Resort will incur a fee that will be applied to hotel folio upon check-out.

For UK and Ireland guests this only applies to reservations made December 31st 2019 and after.

All EXISTING and NEW 2018 and 2019 UK and Ireland guests staying at Disney Resort Hotels will continue to enjoy free hotel parking for 2018 and 2019, and free parking at the theme parks and at Disney Springs”
I take everything on Facebook with a massive pinch of salt!

Some official confirmation would be nice, yet no one on the whole of the internet seems to be able to provide it.

Most UK visitors stay 14 nights. At a moderate that’s an extra $200+ dollars....that’ll be a tipping point for many. The hotel prices are barely justifiable as it is. We stayed on I drive, Ubered in and saved a fortune. We saved enough to actually pay for another trip in the future.

I think we are going to see if TDO listens to social media or not. After years of charging obscene rack rates for sub par rooms they want to tack on "fees" so if they listen to their customers they might reverse direction and reap the positive publicity but if they stay hardline it will cost them money for the short term. It is headline news across the country.

I think we are going to see if TDO listens to social media or not. After years of charging obscene rack rates for sub par rooms they want to tack on "fees" so if they listen to their customers they might reverse direction and reap the positive publicity but if they stay hardline it will cost them money for the short term. It is headline news across the country.

I’d hate for Disney to reverse this and get some good publicity out of it by pretending to care what the consumer thinks instead of admitting that they pushed too hard this time.

I’d hate for Disney to reverse this and get some good publicity out of it by pretending to care what the consumer thinks instead of admitting that they pushed too hard this time.

That would be the Disney thing to do. Reverse course, get good publicity while raising base rates $30 across the board.

Then putting the parking fee back in in a year or two anyway.

That would be the Disney thing to do. Reverse course, get good publicity while raising base rates $30 across the board.

Then putting the parking fee back in in a year or two anyway.

I’m amazed they haven’t already tried to put a spin in the PR by saying that this keeps prices down for all the guests who don’t travel by car and how they’re heavily investing in their transport infrastructure.