Disneyland Resort | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disneyland got the green light for the $1 billion Expension , focus will be on resort infrastructure (including the new parking structure) and new attractions in the existing parks.

Just returned. The new additions were neat, but tiny. The 60th decor was gaudy, but I loved the nighttime stuff. It felt great in general to be back, and the parks truly felt full of life, and it felt like coming back home. Having to leave gave me a pang in my stomach. When living in California from 2009 to 2013, Anaheim was my getaway from life's problems. When the night came, it was like being transported back then, especially when the crowds were lighter. I still remember a time before World of Color, when DCA was still the struggling neighbor. I'm so glad to see it flourishing, but I have vivid memories of a cold winter's night in Hollywood Pictures Backlot, sitting on the curb with little to nobody around, peoplewatching guests scream on Tower of Terror. The only thing that makes me step aback when it comes to the swell of crowds is how amazing Disney is when its intimate. I'm still obsessed with the Grizzly Peak area, the one original DCA area that the Imagineers nailed. There are numerous spots that you can just lean over and watching rafts float by... the paths are massive so the crowds disappear into the background. You just feel enveloped. This sounds cheesy, but that's part of the Disney difference. Something Universal I feel has yet to replicate.

Also another thing is CUSTOMER SERVICE. Every single interaction I had with a CM the other day was absolutely stellar, they are never grouchy or mean... the ride CMs are bossy, but they have to be. Safety is key, however they are never rude. Universal, even from the inside, feels like they don't properly know how to treat their employees right and examine the situation enough to unlock the key of wonderful customer service. It's not hard, really. Disney constantly deals with issues beyond its control alongside crowd capacity issues and guess what? They suck it up, and don't make the employees feel that brunt. They're making money, and they do it by ensuring guests that no matter what, they will ALWAYS have a good customer service experience. No matter what terrible decisions WDI makes, no matter what cutbacks they do food-wise, no matter WHAT there will forever be a truly happy, perky and nice person on the other side to make you feel welcome. This is something I fell in love with, and wanted desperately to bring to my job when I worked at Universal. I wanted to make the guests feel like there was someone on their side, but the bulk of the company and most of my coworkers didn't feel the same. One of my supervisors did, and he remains still my favorite, because he got it. Yet there was this mean stench that kept preventing me from maintaining that happy stamina. It was just constant pressure and cutthroat attitudes, no-nonsense political poop and egos that got constantly in the way of the necessary end result. I'm not going to lie, I have plenty of stories of us banding together as a team to create wonderful customer services memories... but those stories got increasingly rare as time went along.

What I witnessed at Universal I can't ever imagine happening at Disney, at least in Anaheim. Despite all my snarking and bitching on twitter and my exhausted physical stance afterwards... I was still reminded why I fell in love in the first place.

I wanted to make the guests feel like there was someone on their side, but the bulk of the company and most of my coworkers didn't feel the same. One of my supervisors did, and he remains still my favorite, because he got it. Yet there was this mean stench that kept preventing me from maintaining that happy stamina. It was just constant pressure and cutthroat attitudes, no-nonsense political poop and egos that got constantly in the way of the necessary end result. I'm not going to lie, I have plenty of stories of us banding together as a team to create wonderful customer services memories... but those stories got increasingly rare as time went along.
Do you think that's because of a lot of the staff's Hollywood aspirations?

Walt frankly was a genius. He acted as a leader and united everyone. He treated his CM with respect and dignity and in turn they treated customers well. Walt believed that everyone was a VIP in his parks. It doesn't matter if you made 20,000 a year or 70,000 a year. If people feel special in a certain place, they will always come back for more. This is why they can still operate rides the that are 50 years old and still have people flooding in.

Universal really has to get their CS right if they want to pass Disney. The only thing they have going for them is new attractions. That's the only thing that is keeping them in competition. If they had Walt's ideology, they would absolutely dominate.

TPI is reporting that the new Star Wars land will possibly be a year behind the DHS counterpart. And Parkscope also has mentioned that both counterparts will pretty much be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to Disneyland Sunday evening to watch Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever. Does anyone know any suggestions to watch them both. I am thinking right in-front of the castle to watch both, or get a spot for paint the night (in the middle of main street) then stay there to watch the fireworks. Another thing is, what time should I get a spot. Thanks  :)

^ We saw the parade at the start of Main Street about an hour before the event and proceeded directly to the heart of Main Street before the fireworks began. Got great views of both.

Reactions: 12th Man
If that is true, that is beyond stupid and depressing. There is plenty of room for expansion and working around an existing land, can't we expand without ripping out an entire land? Toontown has its audience as well a popular ride....besides, something about Star Wars in that corner of the park seems off to me.

Idk...I'm all for an expansion of Star Wars in Disneyland, just not at the expense of an entire existing land, which had a lot of potential to be reinvigorated.

If that is true, that is beyond stupid and depressing. There is plenty of room for expansion and working around an existing land, can't we expand without ripping out an entire land? Toontown has its audience as well a popular ride....besides, something about Star Wars in that corner of the park seems off to me.

Idk...I'm all for an expansion of Star Wars in Disneyland, just not at the expense of an entire existing land, which had a lot of potential to be reinvigorated.
I agree that it sucks when they have to take something out in order to put something in, that's never fun... But if it has to be Toon Town (which has been the rumor all along) or Star Wars land....

Personally I never go into toon town when I'm at disney. Sure roger rabbit is a fun enough ride but that's all thats there really besides that highly themed off the shelf 45 second roller coaster (which could be moved perhaps!) and 2 hour waits to meet minnie and mickey

Ok, but it's still a popular land. It needs sprucing up, and they can easily expand it or add to it. And if it HAD to close, I'd rather they use it for a Fantasyland expansion. Star Wars would have more than enough space if they took out some of the backstage facilities, or have most of it take over Tomorrowland, which needs a heavy to begin with.

Ok, but it's still a popular land. It needs sprucing up, and they can easily expand it or add to it. And if it HAD to close, I'd rather they use it for a Fantasyland expansion. Star Wars would have more than enough space if they took out some of the backstage facilities, or have most of it take over Tomorrowland, which needs a heavy to begin with.
I think you're the only one who wants an expansion or money to re-do Toon Town bud, sorry!!!

They will be removing backstage buildings etc to make more room but the more room the better. Toon Town will never be the commodity Star Wars is and the  attendance boost and merchandise sales from an entire themed world ala Harry Potter is too major to ignore. 

Casey Jr and the Storybook boats are kinda in the way too for the New Fantasyland as we've seen it but maybe they can expand Fantasyland into the area where the Submarines/Autopia are... Unless of course that's where they're planning to put Marvel...

I wouldn't mind if they took out that giant theater behind Fantasyland as well and used that room for New Fantasyland!

^ no I'm not the only one. I'm in the camp that wants both lands to exist. We can agree to disagree.

I will agree, however, that they can get rid of the Fantasyland Theatre and expand there. Ideally I'd like a full on Beauty and the Beast ride (not meet and greet) + restaurant.

I'm personally excited about the eventual 3rd gate, whenever that'll be. To see a brand new American Disney theme park built from the ground up with new tech and after all the lessons learned from DCA, I'm sure it'll be incredible.

^ no I'm not the only one. I'm in the camp that wants both lands to exist. We can agree to disagree.

I will agree, however, that they can get rid of the Fantasyland Theatre and expand there. Ideally I'd like a full on Beauty and the Beast ride (not meet and greet) + restaurant.

I'm personally excited about the eventual 3rd gate, whenever that'll be. To see a brand new American Disney theme park built from the ground up with new tech and after all the lessons learned from DCA, I'm sure it'll be incredible.

You've clearly never discovered Disney Twitter or any Disney Forum...
I'd be willing to leave that to a vote fellas. Sorry. But you're in the minority on this one. Star Wars > Toon Town.

I agree about a Beauty and the Beast ride. It's one of their most celebrated films if not THE most, first animated film nominated for Best Picture, Long running broadway show etc etc. It's about time they turn it into a ride!

Personally I could care less about meet and greets. I don't understand who's paying $100 a day to go meet a teenager in a costume. (outside of young children) 

As suggested above, let's agree to disagree. There's a point where healthy discussion just turns to pointless bickering. If someone else has an opposing ideal, it's important to respect that and move on.

...Time to talk about this again, but theres some validity.

Micechats reporting that Starwars is going to replace MULTIPLE areas, some of the backstage; Toontown and the Circle D Ranch. Now, you would think this is Bull..but..From Orlando United Radio; HateToFly mentioned that he heard from a long while that Toontown would be the location for Starwars.

They also reported that Marvel is coming to DCA over at the location behind TOT and budding heads with Carsland/Bugsland. The attraction rumored there would be a possible Rockin Rollercoaster meets Transformers for ride tech and story.

So, thoughts?