Disneyland Resort | Page 83 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also the Subs take up a good area and will be gone at some point.
Here's a dose of theme park development reality... all of the lagoon rockwork was redone when it turned into Nemo and it's depreciated over a really long time. The charge-off that would have to go along with bulldozing it pretty much rules out the lagoon going away for many, many years. So yeah, I don't watch videos because they don't know what they're talking about when they say the lagoon can just go away.

Tron could fit if they tore everything but Space Mountain down, built a multi-level facility, built the canopy over the lagoon, removed Autopia, or did whatever combination of the previous options is necessary. That would be cool.

Regardless, Tron is one of the few sci-fi oriented franchises of merit Disney really has. And it's mainly due to the influence and permeance of the Tron aesthetic rather than the quality of the films themselves. Other than Tron, you have Big Hero 6, WALLE, Avatar, and one day Lightyear. You could maybe swing the Incredibles if you go down the retro futurism path, but they already have a presence in DCA and I doubt that would go over well. Because of this, I imagine Tron inevitably receives a big presence in Tomorrowland, albeit with a different ride system. Flight of Passage also would make sense (you already 'link' into a body that's far away), but only if they don't theme the showbuilding lazily. Big Hero 6 could be a nice edutainment dark ride. Walle...is too depressing.
I think a Walle Show in the Magic E Theater would be very popular. Honestly they need to redo the front of Space as well the whole thing is just weirdly set up.

But regardless of the Nemo Subs they had a YEAR to redo the painting/buildings in the area and get ride of the PMs and make the land feel whole and just make it feel like a land and from there do what they did with fantasyland and plus is over ten years until its where it needs to be.

I think a Walle Show in the Magic E Theater would be very popular. Honestly they need to redo the front of Space as well the whole thing is just weirdly set up.

But regardless of the Nemo Subs they had a YEAR to redo the painting/buildings in the area and get ride of the PMs and make the land feel whole and just make it feel like a land and from there do what they did with fantasyland and plus is over ten years until its where it needs to be.

Just because they had a year doesn't mean they had it in the budget or that it was even on the priority list at all.
There’s no room for Tron, DLR Buzz is the best version of that ride, Star Tours is really popular, and there’s already been a Mission to Mars ride.

Tomorrowland is just a fundamentally flawed idea in that it doesn’t take you to a place (Cars Land, Pandora, Galaxy’s Edge) and when you redo the thing it will eventually become Todayland because it isn’t frozen in the past. We never get closer to the timeline of a Frontierland or Liberty Square because those are both frozen in the past.

“The future that never was” is the closest thing to actually working, but even that gets dated over time.

Bingo.

Just because they had a year doesn't mean they had it in the budget or that it was even on the priority list at all.

Bingo.
I know it was a hard year for Disney....the higher ups only got there pay half the year and bonuses as well.

But honestly Disney knows the land has big issues and yet besides Hollywood in DCA has or is updating every other land before this one..including the Pier...twice. I get they don't care but doesn't mean they can't be wrong these are the same people who built a SW land yet at both parks could not match the extra attendance of a Harry Potter ride...one which literally is from a series that last great movie was ten years ago.

Its really not that hard when you have a year off its the perfect time to clean up at least the PM tracks...they literally could have not worked on Snow White/Jungle book over that and yes I'd be happier with them finally making Tomorrowland great again.

Here's a dose of theme park development reality... all of the lagoon rockwork was redone when it turned into Nemo and it's depreciated over a really long time. The charge-off that would have to go along with bulldozing it pretty much rules out the lagoon going away for many, many years. So yeah, I don't watch videos because they don't know what they're talking about when they say the lagoon can just go away.

Not that I know anything but I often thought that Disney could build a Tomorrowland to a stylized version and then stick with that version. They could go "retro future" with more of a Jules Verne theme or could go with a version that featured clean lines, trees, and fountains more in line with city in Tomorrowland (just no suspended pools). Of course, I always that these would fit better in Orlando as I would dump Monsters Inc (or move it to DHS as part of a Pixar Place themed land) as well as Buzz and then add new rides into those spaces. As it is, Tomorrowland feels like a hodge-podge of themes, as if it was used as a place to put rides (ex. Star Tours) that didn't really fit anywhere else.

No change can touch Disneyland's Space Mountain, though. No matter what, that is one of the better coasters in a Disney park.

Not that I know anything but I often thought that Disney could build a Tomorrowland to a stylized version and then stick with that version. They could go "retro future" with more of a Jules Verne theme or could go with a version that featured clean lines, trees, and fountains more in line with city in Tomorrowland (just no suspended pools). Of course, I always that these would fit better in Orlando as I would dump Monsters Inc (or move it to DHS as part of a Pixar Place themed land) as well as Buzz and then add new rides into those spaces. As it is, Tomorrowland feels like a hodge-podge of themes, as if it was used as a place to put rides (ex. Star Tours) that didn't really fit anywhere else.

No change can touch Disneyland's Space Mountain, though. No matter what, that is one of the better coasters in a Disney park.
I would not change it now but for sure they can add more projections and make you feel like your in space more and less a dark room.

Reactions: SkiBum
I know it was a hard year for Disney....the higher ups only got there pay half the year and bonuses as well.

But honestly Disney knows the land has big issues and yet besides Hollywood in DCA has or is updating every other land before this one..including the Pier...twice. I get they don't care but doesn't mean they can't be wrong these are the same people who built a SW land yet at both parks could not match the extra attendance of a Harry Potter ride...one which literally is from a series that last great movie was ten years ago.

Its really not that hard when you have a year off its the perfect time to clean up at least the PM tracks...they literally could have not worked on Snow White/Jungle book over that and yes I'd be happier with them finally making Tomorrowland great again.

More likely than not, the Snow White and Jungle Cruise projects were already greenlit and would have been happening regardless of the pandemic. That is how these types of projects work. Each park has their own allotted budgets and plans. Corporate pay and theme park budgets are two entirely different things.

I understand what you are saying and I don't even really disagree from an armchair perspective. That's just not how they do things, though.

More likely than not, the Snow White and Jungle Cruise projects were already greenlit and would have been happening regardless of the pandemic. That is how these types of projects work. Each park has their own allotted budgets and plans. Corporate pay and theme park budgets are two entirely different things.

I understand what you are saying and I don't even really disagree from an armchair perspective. That's just not how they do things, though.
It works most of the time but I think the Company needs to become quicker to react.

The fact we have had ZERO Mando themed events to me is such a red flag...like its easy money and they just refused to try.

I know how they work and its fine but god do I wish we could get a second Walt...somone who is trying to better the places and their art.

There was a very strong rumor that they were making a Mando & Baby Yoda MeetN'Greet before the closure.
WDW been open for 8 months?

I see nothing, if its a money thing once again people will pay for events. Disney needs to get on these

A Wanda event styled with different area's playing music from different times. We will see post Pandemic what happens but if I ran things Disneyland would have had 6+ sold out events and it would have been all legal..Knotts has been doing them since before fall.

Today is a great day indeed. The park that really started it all gets to finally welcome guests. I won’t be there of course, but I will probably cry regardless. It feels like the world is finally awakening from a hibernation.

(unless you live in Florida I guess).

Now to see how tickets/reservations/annual passes work (or not).
Yeah, they said they had annual passes ready to go whenever they opened. My question is how much does everyone here thinks they'll cost, especially now with most still struggling finacially. I'm gonna say $250 is the cheapest one for now.

I have a feeling Disneyland won’t see an AP program until park operations are normal again.

Probably true with 15% capacity restrictions for now. Anything official has been ambivalent, but there will be a new system at some point.

Reactions: Evan