Disney's Animal Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Animal Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I look at it this way: the park needs more to do. Specifically more rides.

Which version of Animal Kingdom is better?

A. AK with a replaced Dinoland and no net new attractions.
B. AK with Dinoland and a new land on the expansion plot adjacent to Kali.

I vote B.
Well my idealized scenario would be the Encanto+Indy South America land, Jungle Book in the Kali plot, and Lion King in Africa.

Even without any personal bias towards South America, I just do not enjoy Dinoland, and would almost certainly spend more time at AK if the new land reflected the proposed concept art . Sorry guys.

Even without any personal bias towards South America, I just do not enjoy Dinoland, and would almost certainly spend more time at AK if the new land reflected the proposed concept art . Sorry guys.
Yeah, I'm really not a fan of either Dinoland or (less popularly) the Dinosaur attraction; I wouldn't miss either if they go.

If the choice is A) what we have now or B) a proposed South America area anchored by Indiana Jones... I'm voting B. It is wild to me that they haven't better leveraged Lion King, one of their most popular films of all time, in this park, though.

And the monkey's paw curls...

And just when I was starting to think Dinosaur might've been inching off the cutting board, with Indy 5 flopping, the general lack of movement, the blue sky-ness of it all. It'll be a real shame to see the ride go and I hope at the very least that Dinosaurs as a theme are retained somewhere in the park.

If not, then they better refabricate every bench, trashcan, and sign in the park. A dragon and dinosaur on the logo without either actually being in the park is just sad.

I better pop in sooner than later and nab those Dinoland plushes from the carnival games. I only learned about those recently and they're incredibly cool and well-made!

I'd be curious to know how many actually experienced "Dinosaur" before it was neutered to be more family-friendly to tie-into the highly underrated movie of the same name (which was actually pleasantly intense for a Disney animated movie). But yea, how many experienced "Countdown to Extinction" in its full glory? Because it was amazing.

This will not take till 2030.
You're right. It'll be more like in the year 2065 (if anyone still gives a :poop:)

Reactions: SeventyOne
I’ll be honest, I’ve never been able to go to Orlando, and have never ridden Dinosaur, but from the videos I’ve seen I always wished it was better than it was. Such a great concept but really lacking in its execution. I’m sure some would mourn its loss but if I’d ridden it a dozen times or more, I could see myself saying: “it’s time for something new.”

I’ll be honest, I’ve never been able to go to Orlando, and have never ridden Dinosaur, but from the videos I’ve seen I always wished it was better than it was. Such a great concept but really lacking in its execution. I’m sure some would mourn its loss but if I’d ridden it a dozen times or more, I could see myself saying: “it’s time for something new.”
Yeah. For one, it jerks you around a lot. Secondly, even though they redid some scenes and lit it up a bit better during a major refurb a few years ago, it's still too dark and hard to see anything well. That said, in a park with very few actual rides, it's an attraction we always do, since there aren't many alternatives. It's OK, but not great.....Never did Indiana Jones, but from the POV's I've watched, it seems like a night and day difference in entertainment value, even though it's essentially the same track and vehicles. I'm actually looking forward to IJ. Love those movies.

from the videos I’ve seen I always wished it was better than it was. Such a great concept but really lacking in its execution.
Unfortunately videos don't exist of the original experience, if they do, they're poor quality. Countdown to Extinction was so good, but it lost its edge once they toned it down. Part of the "darkness" was due to them basically trying to "hide" the more intense/scary dino elements. It's a fun ride, but its been a shell of its former self for years (since like 2000/2001)

It is actually a clone of Disneyland's Indy, only the "bridge sequence" was budget cut when built. Instead of a bridge, it would've been a giant log/tree trunk.

**EDIT: Had to pull out this shirt & share..
1000010305.jpg
1000010306.jpg
Front/Back

Last edited:
Unfortunately videos don't exist of the original experience, if they do, they're poor quality. Countdown to Extinction was so good, but it lost its edge once they toned it down. Part of the "darkness" was due to them basically trying to "hide" the more intense/scary dino elements. It's a fun ride, buy its been a shell of its former self for years (since like 2000/2001)

It is actually a clone of Disneyland's Indy, only the "bridge sequence" was budget cut when built. Instead of a bridge, it would've been a giant log/tree trunk.

**EDIT: Had to pull out this shirt & share..
View attachment 21164
View attachment 21165
Front/Back
I saw Countdown to Extinction clips in some old Travel Channel doc way back in the day and it did look really good. Really dark and moody, which I’m a fan of. That’s probably part of the reason I still wish I could just get a chance to go on (who knows if that’ll happen now). But even then, I don’t know if it lives up to the classic status Indy has in Adventureland. I know they wanted to shy away from JP comparisons and chose different Dinos for that reason (and Eisner trying to create synergy with the upcoming Dinosaur film in development at the time) but I feel like they chose the wrong creatures to make the headliners too, if that makes any sense. Remember the days when almost every major park had Dinosaurs? Universal with JP, Knotts with Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, Epcot Energy Adventure and Disneyland with Primeval World. Maybe their popularity is waning. Either way, I know I’m rambling, but I guess my main point is that even in its original iteration it never screamed “classic” to me, but I’d still be a little bummed to see it go, even if I never got the chance to experience it.

Maybe their popularity is waning.
jurassic park cinema GIF

...But I think you mean extinct

• Haha
Reactions: Michael S
I'm not sure you could say the current land is really strengthening the park imo. Dinosaur will be missed though.

I generally agree with the sentiment of adding to the parks as opposed to replacing things (see how Disneyland is so beautifully built out in comparison).

However, I genuinely think Dinoland was a waste of space, that did not have the wide appeal it should based on its offerings.

If this new area pulls in more guests, offers better experiences, and leaves them more satisfied, it’s a win for AK, and helps the park.

Reactions: IzzyB
However, I genuinely think Dinoland was a waste of space, that did not have the wide appeal it should based on its offerings.
You can thank budget cuts for this.. AK is kinda like DCA 1.0, but has yet to receive a "do-over".

Dinoland was supposed to have a coaster (not Primeval Hurl.. I mean Whirl), cant remember if it was wood or steel. It was meant to be excavation themed I believe.

Triceratopper Spin was a good dino-dumbo addition for kids, even if part of the cheesy dino-rama area.

Dinosaurs have wide appeal then & now, Legoland California just recently opened a revamped Dino themed land. Disney unfortunately had to compete with IOA/JP which opened a year after AK.

No ones saying they aren’t behind in competing, but future projects here may be built faster now because of it. If Disney wants to build faster, they absolutely can.

I'll believe it when I see it, Tiana was built way faster than expected but this is rumoured to be a 5 year build. Even if they cram and manage to open it in 2028, that's the first 'new' ride since Avatar opened in 2017.

If the Zootopia retheme of Bug's Life happens and including the removal of Primeval Whirl, AK could be down 3 rides since Avatar opened, in a park that has capacity issues already.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'll believe it when I see it, Tiana was built way faster than expected but this is rumoured to be a 5 year build. Even if they cram and manage to open it in 2028, that's the first 'new' ride since Avatar opened in 2017.

If the Zootopia retheme of Bug's Life happens and including the removal of Primeval Whirl, AK could be down 3 rides since Avatar opened, in a park that has capacity issues already.
I mean look, I’m with you. If Dinosaur closes this fall and Zootopia opens next year in Tree Of Life, this park will definitely have capacity problems. I’m more saying I don’t think it’s impossible they rush more than they have in previous builds. I do my best to not make everything Universal vs Disney but I really imagine they’re gonna feel the heat a bit here, maybe making this early 2028/late 2027.

Unlikely, but we’re in new territory in Orlando with a 3rd Universal gate, so I’m curious their response!

I'm still curious when we may actually see them close Dinosaur. Think we actually see it this year? Or maybe they do background stuff and aim for a closing after Christmas this year.

DAK is my favorite park, so for it to be the first to get permits is exciting. Shows you how critical it is for them to have to get things here online quicker.

Epic may push Disney to build faster.
Look how long it took to build Pandora and Galaxy's Edge. I'm telling you it will. lol
Disney, when motivated, can build just as fast as Universal. Look how quick the DVC for the Polynesian went up. Tiana will have taken less than 1 1/2 year for a retheme, so I see these projects happening in quick succession.

The staging area they're building is actually where Disney should be focused on putting new things.

But nah, more replacements!
I love Dinoland, but half of it is in desperate need of an overhaul. But yes, eventually they back area will allow them to spread crowds out far more than now.

I'm still curious when we may actually see them close Dinosaur. Think we actually see it this year? Or maybe they do background stuff and aim for a closing after Christmas this year.
The smart thing to do would be to get working on a new attraction in the Dinorama section first, and then take down Dinosaur as that project gets closer to completion to reduce capacity constraints.

I'd imagine DAK will be very entertainment/festival heavy over the next few years. Wouldn't surprise me to see DAK receive a festival on Epcot's "off season" in the summer.

I’m absolutely a Dinosaur fan, so I’m actually going to be pretty bummed if/when it goes.

That said, I do like Indiana Jones a lot and consider it a basically perfect attraction, so that won’t be a terrible consolation prize. Only thing is, the Indiana Jones Adventure is an overall experience that extends beyond just the ride…there’s not going to be room to replicate the 1/2 mile queue, but they really have to do something with the space to give AK Indy that same feeling of being transported somewhere immersive. At the very least, I’d like to see them rip up the entry plaza and turn that into an interior temple queue because the current indoor queue won’t cut it.

Also, can we relax on complaining about the construction timeline? We’re skipping a few steps of complaining…let’s wait until we decide we don’t like the confirmed IP and how the concept art is unrealistic before we move to the timeline complaints :lmao: