Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion) | Page 184 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
the dude your opinion GIF

I'll concede that "Zootopia absolutely should not come to Hollywood Studios" is opinion, but my other two statements - that it would be another trackless ride in a park with two other trackless rides that use similar techniques, and that the ride's setting/focus would likely be a flashpoint for controversy in the U.S.A. of 2024 - are pretty tough to dispute!

I'll concede that "Zootopia absolutely should not come to Hollywood Studios" is opinion, but my other two statements - that it would be another track ride in a park with two other track rides that use similar techniques

Honestly the ride is unique enough that it doesn't matter if it's a trackless dark like MMRR or ROTR. Disneyland/Magic Kingdom have all kinds of different dark rides that are similar and have the same ride systems so it hasn't stopped them before.

and that the ride's setting/focus would likely be a flashpoint for controversy in the U.S.A. of 2024 - are pretty tough to dispute!

Well the film is getting a sequel so honestly I don't think it would be as controversial as you think, or at the very least Disney wouldn't care. It would probably be another situation like with TBA replacing Splash Mountain, it'll cause some noise for a few weeks but then people would get over it. Not saying I don't get your point but at the same time I doubt Disney cares. They clearly want to put it in Disneyland for DL forward so I'm pretty sure it'll be coming to HS in the near future lol.

Honestly the ride is unique enough that it doesn't matter if it's a trackless dark like MMRR or ROTR. Disneyland/Magic Kingdom have all kinds of different dark rides that are similar and have the same ride systems so it hasn't stopped them before.

I’m probably forgetting some but besides the Jets/Dumbo, Pirates/Small World (which are utilized differently) and at Disneyland Snow White/Pinnochio, which attractions repeat ride systems in a single MK style park? I think the issue isn’t repeating ride systems, it’s more that that would make the 3 new signature E Tickets in the park feel kind of similar to each other, especially Mickey and Minnie and Zootopia. Magic Kingdom/Disneyland at least have a lot of diversity in the park as a whole. DHS doesn’t really have that varied attraction mix, so having 3 similar rides would be a little odd. Having a few rides share ride systems isn’t as egregious when you’ve got a simulator, an indoor coaster, a mine coaster, omnimover, a people mover, a train, boat rides, a flume ride among many other unique attraction types balancing out the rest of the offerings. But that’s just what I think.

.t would probably be another situation like with TBA replacing Splash Mountain, it'll cause some noise for a few weeks but then people would get over it. Not saying I don't get your point but at the same time I doubt Disney cares. They clearly want to put it in Disneyland for DL forward so I'm pretty sure it'll be coming to HS in the near future lol.
Not to get too far into it, but it’s pretty clear online that people are sadly still not over Splash.

I do agree with your last point. If they are actually interested in bringing the land to Disneyland Forward, it does show interest in them using the IP. Now if the ride would be a 1:1 clone, I dunno.

P.S. If anyone wants to compile and compare MMRR and Zootopia ride beats it may be helpful. Off the top of my head, the characters pulling up in a car to right of to you.

A new expansion to Animation Courtyard?

Monsters Inc Door Coaster please?
There have been rumblings that the Door Coaster's plan were recently dusted off, but I doubt they go through with it. Disney rarely builds anything unique anymore that won't be ported into another theme park. In an ideal world, they build a Monster's Inc land with the door coaster as the E-Ticket (maybe using Mack's inverted power coaster like the Jurassic World Ride in Beijing) and bring over MILF from Magic Kingdom, to give DHS another attraction.
Again doubt it, it's probably Zootopia.

We absolutely don't need Zootopia in Hollywood Studios, which already has two trackless dark rides that use many of the same gags and techniques as Hot Pursuit... and that's before you get into how many of the story elements of the ride would be viewed in the United States.
This is super true, I’m fine with not getting Zootopia for these reasons exactly.

Reactions: Freak
I could see Disney barreling past the police/incarceration stuff, though I'd caution everyone to remember Zootopia was released in March of 2016 -- a lot has changed since then, and its popularity then may not necessarily be an indication of popularity now. The sequel will absolutely be a test of its enduring appeal in the states.

I think it's way too early to claim with any confidence to know what IPs Disney actually intends to use for Disneyland Forward should that come to pass. It's also way too soon to get confident that Zootopia is coming to replace some or all of the Animation Courtyard... especially when they've already announced a Zootopia experience replacing It's Tough to Be a Bug at Animal Kingdom. (The one piece of concept art released for that future attraction, notably, does not feature Judy Hopps in a police uniform... though Chief Bogo and Officer Clawhouser appear to be wearing theirs. One wonders if this potential Zootopia might deemphasize the law enforcement aspect of the IP, especially since it arguably has nothing to do with Animal Kingdom's mission.)

I could see Disney barreling past the police/incarceration stuff, though I'd caution everyone to remember Zootopia was released in March of 2016 -- a lot has changed since then, and its popularity then may not necessarily be an indication of popularity now. The sequel will absolutely be a test of its enduring appeal in the states.

I think it's way too early to claim with any confidence to know what IPs Disney actually intends to use for Disneyland Forward should that come to pass. It's also way too soon to get confident that Zootopia is coming to replace some or all of the Animation Courtyard... especially when they've already announced a Zootopia experience replacing It's Tough to Be a Bug at Animal Kingdom. (The one piece of concept art released for that future attraction, notably, does not feature Judy Hopps in a police uniform... though Chief Bogo and Officer Clawhouser appear to be wearing theirs. One wonders if this potential Zootopia might deemphasize the law enforcement aspect of the IP, especially since it arguably has nothing to do with Animal Kingdom's mission.)
Or... Zootopia might not be coming to Animal Kingdom at all anymore. Just because Disney released a picture of concept unfortunately doesn't mean much anymore, ie. Poppins, PLAY!, Epcot festival center, etc.

Or... Zootopia might not be coming to Animal Kingdom at all anymore. Just because Disney released a picture of concept unfortunately doesn't mean much anymore, ie. Poppins, PLAY!, Epcot festival center, etc.

Sure. But let's maybe not jump to "Zootopia is probably coming to DHS" until we hear something a little more concrete -- especially when there's literal, official evidence that this IP is going elsewhere.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Isn't there some sort of clause in regards to attractions getting ported over from Shanghai and Tokyo that a certain amount of years has to lapse first? That is the only thing that throws cold water on the prospect of Zootopia getting ported over to DHS unless there is some sort of loophole that would allow them to like making a different variation of a Zootopia land.

Isn't there some sort of clause in regards to attractions getting ported over from Shanghai and Tokyo that a certain amount of years has to lapse first? That is the only thing that throws cold water on the prospect of Zootopia getting ported over to DHS unless there is some sort of loophole that would allow them to like making a different variation of a Zootopia land.
That's a myth that Shanghai Disneyland has 5 year exclusivity rights, OLC has actual exclusivity for their attractions. Shanghai cares more about what the Asian parks can and cannot built, mainly Hong Kong Disneyland. If Disney leadership wants Zootopia at WDW, they're going to get it lol

Reactions: saint.piss
Sure. But let's maybe not jump to "Zootopia is probably coming to DHS" until we hear something a little more concrete -- especially when there's literal, official evidence that this IP is going elsewhere.
We saw official art showing Moana coming to Animal Kingdom while they were already building Moana in EPCOT, so you never know with this company.

And yea I know that was blue sky exploratory art, but it shows they’d be okay building a new IP in two parks at once.

We saw official art showing Moana coming to Animal Kingdom while they were already building Moana in EPCOT, so you never know with this company.

And yea I know that was blue sky exploratory art, but it shows they’d be okay building a new IP in two parks at once.
Technically Toy Story (buzz) is at two different parks on both coasts. So I’d say I wouldn’t put it past them.

Did we all forget when Lion King was represented in MK (Legend of the LK), EPCOT (Circle of Life ... Land Pavilion), & AK (Festival of the LK)

Soooooo.....
Maybe a little different since those weren’t headliner attractions, but a solid point nonetheless. Technically Mickey is a main character in Philharmagic at DCA and MMRR at DL (albeit different iterations of the character). So it really wouldn’t surprise me to see them try to implement let’s say Moana or even Zootopia across two different parks. Also, Universal’s got HP spread across 3 parks now. I don’t think the “1 IP at 1 park” point is worth its weight in salt, frankly. Maybe a while ago, but times—and guests expectations—have changed.