Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's NextGen Initiative

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...alt-disney-world-resort-hotel-and-day-guests/

Any hope I had in the system is now gone. Adding day guests to the mix is going to make it a nightmare to get reservations.
Actually, adding day guests is exactly what is needed. Day guests have already been using it for months. Now it's just more convenient. They can use the app to book FP+ in advance now which means that those long waits at the Kioks should become way shorter.

Actually, adding day guests is exactly what is needed. Day guests have already been using it for months. Now it's just more convenient. They can use the app to book FP+ in advance now which means that those long waits at the Kioks should become way shorter.

The addition of day guests being able to book in advance is going to make it harder to get a reservation, and it could possibly affect pass holders who go on short notice.

The addition of day guests being able to book in advance is going to make it harder to get a reservation, and it could possibly affect pass holders who go on short notice.

I think that day guests are just as important. Passholders are going to come back and have probably done all of the attractions before. Regular guests this might be a once in a lifetime chance and they cannot afford to stay in a Disney hotel.

I need some FastPass+ education.

So we're having a Disney fam jam in early October (I'm so freaking happy I'll be able to hit up HHN while I'm there). There's going to be 7 of us, so we're probably staying off site. What should I expect from this huge waste of money? Any tips?

I agree with you in part here. I think it's needed that they be added to advance reservations with how Disney seems to be running the system because the kiosks have been so backed up and crazy. This should hopefully relieve a lot of that stress. I do agree slots will be filled and harder to get and it'll affect Pass holders most.

What I think Disney will eventually end up doing is making this sort of like Universal's Express system. Hotel guests get it as a perk (possibly only Deluxe, maybe moderate) as well as hopefully pass holders (with as much as we pay it better be included). All off-site guests and possibly even Disney value resort guests would have to pay to use the system. This would control it a lot better, make it a much better hotel perk, and also create a steady product that they can say without a doubt is bringing in money due to MM+. It would also make it easier to get reservations, which is better for the consumer.

I agree with you in part here. I think it's needed that they be added to advance reservations with how Disney seems to be running the system because the kiosks have been so backed up and crazy. This should hopefully relieve a lot of that stress. I do agree slots will be filled and harder to get and it'll affect Pass holders most.

What I think Disney will eventually end up doing is making this sort of like Universal's Express system. Hotel guests get it as a perk (possibly only Deluxe, maybe moderate) as well as hopefully pass holders (with as much as we pay it better be included). All off-site guests and possibly even Disney value resort guests would have to pay to use the system. This would control it a lot better, make it a much better hotel perk, and also create a steady product that they can say without a doubt is bringing in money due to MM+. It would also make it easier to get reservations, which is better for the consumer.

This. All of it. :thumbs:

I don't know if passholders should be a priority on this system, to be honest. Technically they pay less per day than anyone else.

I don't know if passholders should be a priority on this system, to be honest. Technically they pay less per day than anyone else.
They are the most loyal customers and they spend a lot more money than are given credit for. Not respecting your most loyal customer in any case is just bad business.

I don't think adding day guests is going to cause an issue and I also don't think our fears of needing to book 6 months in advance will ever come true. First off it would be 60 days since that is when the hotel guests can get in. But also I just went and looked and tomorrow I can get a fast pass for Soarin if I was going to Epcot. So during Flower and Garden (heavy local traffic on weekends) and Spring Break I can still get the most popular ride in Epcot. I could also get Test Track. If I remember I will try and look tomorrow morning, but I probably will forget. I kept saying wait until this is implemented to really judge it and so far other than MAJOR glitches in the system (which within the next two years will be worked out) I have no complaints about this system. I will use it and I will avoid lines more than I was able to with the old method. I have even used the app change rides and times and it was very easy and I for the most part have always gotten the rides I wanted.

I can say if they make it a perk for hotel guests they will piss a ton of people off that have bought merch for or about these stupid bands. If they were going to do this, they should have done it from the beginning. And you are also fooling yourselves that they will give this perk to passholders, because they won't. It will be a new level of pass just like Uni does. They will also have to have higher priced day passes that include it. I don't see them doing any of this though.

Last edited:
They are the most loyal customers and they spend a lot more money than are given credit for. Not respecting your most loyal customer in any case is just bad business.

Yes, but they also abuse the most systems. :lol: Before you know it, they'll be holding reservation times for "just in case" visits and then you'll need a credit card to reserve a FastPass.

Yes, but they also abuse the most systems. :lol: Before you know it, they'll be holding reservation times for "just in case" visits and then you'll need a credit card to reserve a FastPass.
Disney has a rolling window for Passholders so it's impossible to do this pretty much. You can only book 7 days out. Onsite guests can book 60-days out and off-site guests can book 30-day in advance. By the time passholders get a chance at it, most of the good ones will be gone anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

And you are also fooling yourselves that they will give this perk to passholders, because they won't. It will be a new level of pass just like Uni does. They will also have to have higher priced day passes that include it. I don't see them doing any of this though.
If they did do it, I agree with you. All Passholders would not get it. It would be basically Premiere and Premium Passholders. That would give an extra incentive to (help) justify the ever rising cost of both of those passes as well.

Disney has a rolling window for Passholders so it's impossible to do this pretty much. You can only book 7 days out. Onsite guests can book 60-days out and off-site guests can book 30-day in advance. By the time passholders get a chance at it, most of the good ones will be gone anyway.
Actually, APs can currently hold 7 days of FP+ at any time within a rolling 30 day window. I already have the Frozen M&G booked for late in the month.

It is 30 days in advance and as I proved before, I was able to get Soarin the day before a weekend day during spring break season. So the good ones won't be gone 30 days in advance when passholders can book them.

I know I expected this would happen. Especially the park hopping aspect. I figured once they went live with the system they would then fine tune these types of things. But adding more than 3 before it went live would have been a disaster or adding park hopping in. But I know they were getting a ton of complaints about the no park hopping, so I figured that would be one of the first things they added after getting everyone on the system.

I think they are seeing that not all the passes are being reserved for a lot of rides. So it only makes sense to allow same day ones after you used your passes. This won't effect same day guests or AP holders since by the time they use all three most people will already have figured out that they are going and reserved their passes. The only thing this will effect is maybe making stand by lines a little longer, but I don't think it will increase it by a lot since as the day goes on lines get shorter anyways.

Just an FYI, at 10:15 AM Easter morning I was able to schedule Soarin for two people. I had several time slots to select from, some were early some were later. By 1:30 PM, I was not able to get one added for my mom (I had to get her pass to link to her account, to link to my friends & family). It was no biggie as we had to do child swap anyways, but I figured while I was linking her account I would check it out and they were gone by then. Easter I would say was moderate crowds. 40 min for malstrom, 5 to 10 for Mexico, Soarin was between 60 and 70 minutes later in the evening. Not sure what it was earlier. We were there around 7:15 PM.

For me this is the same as the old passes. If I got to the parks after 12 PM I could never get a fast pass for Soarin if the crowds were moderate to heavy. So now I get to ride Soarin which I didn't get to do as often before since we almost always got there later in the day.

On a side note, while at dinner I was talking to passholders (Germany shared tables) and they did not like the new system. They also did not understand the new system either. Which shocked me because he knew a lot (like they were changing it to be park hopping), but he didn't realize MK had no restrictions (you can get thunder, space, and splash). So he said he liked the old system better. But I think if he understood it better and with the new changes of allowing more FP after you use yours, he would like the new system better. All of his complaints weren't "True". However this does tell me that communication to passholders and day passes has not been the best.

Last edited:
I am all for the system, but that commercial was a little slow... it needed to go at a bit faster pace. I almost tuned out and I was trying to watch it. So someone who is just seeing it as a commercial is gonna tune it out.