Disney's NextGen Initiative | Page 40 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's NextGen Initiative

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Again, none of you have tried it so how "screwed" you say you are isnt quite relevant. Like I said, I went on a fairly busy day and did not get my FP+ until after noon...still had no problem getting the rides I wanted at reasonable times.

I respect that you're trying to be reasonable and moderate people's opinions on this.

However, I go at most once a year for about a week. Stay off site at a timeshare so I will never be on site. That also means no dining plan and minimal eating on site. And I'm a hard-core park hopper to maximize my ticket value. So there is literally nothing good about this system for me.

Doesn't mean I won't try it, and doesn't mean it won't be great for millions of other guests. But neither of those quality this as an improvement for my guest experience.

Yeah I'm pretty much done with Disney when my APs expire. Universal gives for more perks to AP holders than Disney does.

I only used it at Epcot and thought it was great. But then again, Epcot has only 2 rides that I really need FastPass for: Soarin' and Test Track. I used the other one for the character meet & greet.

I only used it at Epcot and thought it was great. But then again, Epcot has only 2 rides that I really need FastPass for: Soarin' and Test Track. I used the other one for the character meet & greet.

You were able to get FastPass+ for both Soarin' and Test Track? They were originally in the same tier with Maelstrom, and you could only select one.

You were able to get FastPass+ for both Soarin' and Test Track? They were originally in the same tier with Maelstrom, and you could only select one.

Wait they changed that? Yeah, I was able to get both.. I stayed on-site if that makes a difference. This was end of September.

Wait they changed that? Yeah, I was able to get both.. I stayed on-site if that makes a difference. This was end of September.

I want to say it was November when I went that they were tiered together. Guess I had it backwards originally no tiers now new and "improved" with tiers.

Was at WDW last week, and with these new entrance procedures, I literally could've walked into the park without a ticket. There was 1 attendant for every 4 kiosks. When I went through the line the attendant was focused on one family trying to get their card to work, and never even looked in my wife and I's direction. I could've saved a day and not even scanned my card. This could be a disaster during extremely busy days.

Not sure if I'm the only one who noticed this.

Was at WDW last week, and with these new entrance procedures, I literally could've walked into the park without a ticket. There was 1 attendant for every 4 kiosks. When I went through the line the attendant was focused on one family trying to get their card to work, and never even looked in my wife and I's direction. I could've saved a day and not even scanned my card. This could be a disaster during extremely busy days.

Just like any theme park, there will be more staff during busy times...

I've seen front gate CMs chase guests who didn't scan into the train tunnels more than once ;-) Can't imagine that they are actually saving much labor $ with the touch points...

I've seen front gate CMs chase guests who didn't scan into the train tunnels more than once ;-) Can't imagine that they are actually saving much labor $ with the touch points...
I can't imagine they expect too with all of the extra staffing i've seen them employ at those. But the touch points are necessary to make the system work the way it's intended to.

I was at Magic Kingdom yesterday for the majority of the day and I heard a lot of unhappy guests with the new fast pass system. Probably every single attraction I walked by, I heard guests complaining about something. I went into to get a Lefou's Brew and one lady couldn't get her magic band to scan to pay for it. Finally, the lady just told her to have it. The CM was fed up with it too.

If you're there from open to close, 3 fast passes isn't nearly enough either. That, and the amount of confusion as to how to get fast passes was almost humorous. I explained the process to probably 10 families :lol:. Also, cast members are struggling to get guests into the fast pass queue. Almost every attraction has a line outside the entrance waiting to get their magic band scanned. It's a big mess right now.

I think once your first 3 fast passes expire (or been used) you should be able to put another 3 on. That way, it reflects the amount of time your in the park.

how is it confusing? :lol: Its more simple than the old system (scan tickets, wait two hours before another is available, etc.)...now all you do is tell a CM what you want all at once and be/she tells you when to come back. Not much to explain.

I do agree that in MK, 3 may be low, but Im not comvinced that theyre done tinkering with it. The original FP system had some bugs at first too which were since worked out. The number 3 could easily be brought up. Faulty scanners also arent a huge deal--theyre fixable as well.

I was at Disney these past 3 days, stayed on site, and fully utilized the magic bands. Now, I will admit, it was cool and convenient to have everything in one place. But, I did have some complaints. First I did park hop, every day I was there, and was really peeved that I couldn't schedule one at a different park, even if it was 2 at Epcot and 1 at Magic Kingdom, had to do all three at one park and guess what times I would be at each park. Also, when I did the FPP online, it restricted me to 1 major ride and 2 smaller ones, but when I did it in the park for same day it gave me no restrictions, and in the park was very quick and simple. I found a FPP line that luckily didn't have a long line, but it amazed me how long each guest is there figuring out their stuff, it took me about 2 minutes tops. And the lines out the FPP were a bit ridiculous, but that is because guests are CLUELESS. I don't know how many people I watched try to scan their bands by holding the wrong park of the band to the thing, or people put their finger on the scanner for some unknown reason. But once you get into the actual line it's super quick, but I can't imagine the frustration these attraction hosts have to experience on a daily basis because of these people. And I saw a ton of people just jump into the fastpass line once in the middle, just to hold everything up once they got to the second scanner. So yeah, I definitely prefer the old Fastpass system since I could easily get more than 3 rides with it, but this system isn't as terrible as a lot of people here are making it out to be.

But yeah my major complain was having restrictions as a guest who paid for a hotel room but having no restrictions as a guest who was just in the park.

So if you stay on site, you would be better off only reserving one major ride and gambling on getting two more majors. You'd probably still be able to get decent minors if you had to. No?

how is it confusing? :lol: Its more simple than the old system (scan tickets, wait two hours before another is available, etc.)...now all you do is tell a CM what you want all at once and be/she tells you when to come back. Not much to explain.

I think it's more the fact that it's something new and most guests are unaware that the system has changed. Some of the people I talked to assumed that fast pass had just been eliminated altogether.

I'll like the system better if you can get more than 3 fast passes a day.

Disney is hiring TONS of new staff specifically to man the Fast Pass+ kiosks as well as additional Guest Relations staff to handle the problems/complaints. This whole thing is a black hole they are throwing money into trying fix the problems.

I think it's more the fact that it's something new and most guests are unaware that the system has changed. Some of the people I talked to assumed that fast pass had just been eliminated altogether.

I'll like the system better if you can get more than 3 fast passes a day.

When I was there last year I was talking to one of the FP+ staff, she assured me that over time we would be able to book upto 12 passes. Believe it when I see it though.

Disney is hiring TONS of new staff specifically to man the Fast Pass+ kiosks as well as additional Guest Relations staff to handle the problems/complaints. This whole thing is a black hole they are throwing money into trying fix the problems.

You would have thought on of the ways they would make money back on this thing would be on staff costs :shrug: counter productive really.

When I was there last year I was talking to one of the FP+ staff, she assured me that over time we would be able to book upto 12 passes. Believe it when I see it though.

I would guess that soon will be an option for those paying top dollar for hotels (higher price rooms get more Fast Passes) or those willing to pay an extra fee. With all the money they have spent and continue to spend, they will be forced to monetize the system and introduce pay-to-cut knowing many guests would pay more to not have to wait in line.

So if you stay on site, you would be better off only reserving one major ride and gambling on getting two more majors. You'd probably still be able to get decent minors if you had to. No?

Yeah, some of the minors were decent, like Magic Kingdom had some good ones that could build up long waits, but at DHS the only good minor was Tower of Terror (was surprised though), so it's not terrible, but I will probably just wait until I get into the park to book them like I did on my last day since it was very quick and painless. They give you a sheet ahead of time for you to pick your rides.