Disney's Wish | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Wish

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, I think it's going for stylized a la Spider-Verse, but someone up top isn't willing to let go of their precious Tangled artstyle. I'm kinda sick of these character designs. They all look the exact same as stuff we've seen before.

Nothing Disney Animation or Pixar has released or announced in a while now has been of interest to me, barring Encanto. Everything has just felt so bland and souless for awhile

Yeah, I think it's going for stylized a la Spider-Verse, but someone up top isn't willing to let go of their precious Tangled artstyle. I'm kinda sick of these character designs. They all look the exact same as stuff we've seen before.

Yeah, the character models are what's bugging me about the animation. The watercolor style looks great on the backgrounds and scenery, but it feels like they're forcing a square peg into a round hole by using the same character models they've had for quite some time. Not only that, but it also feels like those models aren't leaning into the style as much as everything else. If you're going to play with the style of the animation, everything has to go all in. The Spider-Verse films, The Bad Guys and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish are all good examples of that.

That said, out of the Disney/Pixar animated films coming out this year, I'm still intrigued by this one unlike Elemental which just isn't grabbing me at all.

All in all, cautiously optimistic on this one.

Reactions: malice
Yeah, the character models are what's bugging me about the animation. The watercolor style looks great on the backgrounds and scenery, but it feels like they're forcing a square peg into a round hole by using the same character models they've had for quite some time. Not only that, but it also feels like those models aren't leaning into the style as much as everything else. If you're going to play with the style of the animation, everything has to go all in. The Spider-Verse films, The Bad Guys and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish are all good examples of that.

That said, out of the Disney/Pixar animated films coming out this year, I'm still intrigued by this one unlike Elemental which just isn't grabbing me at all.

All in all, cautiously optimistic on this one.
They're also not doing enough to exaggerate the animation. It's standard CG movement that strictly adheres to physics without any of the smears, held frames, or other tricks of a Spider-Verse or Last Wish.

What's weirder is that the Luma seems to have some small level of stylization that doesn't apply to the rest of the characters.

Reactions: Tobias
Yeah, idk, I like that they're taking risks with different styles of animation, but something feels off. Some parts feel a bit cheaper than others and then some shots (zooming in on lead characters face for example) has an uncanny valley nature to it.

No Idea about the film but...I do love this song and excited to hear in next year fireworks at parks around the world

Earlier, I said I was cautiously optimistic about this film, and now that I've seen it...well, at least I was cautious about this one.

It's a mixed bag for me, animation-wise as I've said before, I like the watercolor style for the backgrounds and scenery, but I wish they made new character models to fit with that, instead of reusing the same models they've always used which creates a strange uncanny valley effect.

As for the songs, there's a few bright spots, but overall I don't think Julia Michaels and Benjamin Rice were the best choices as song writers as it felt like they were just trying to emulate Lin-Manuel Miranda's style, not to great effect.

Character-wise, Asha and King Magnifico are fine, Star is a cute character, and Valentino would've been a far better animal sidekick if he didn't talk. I like Alan Tudyk, but Valentino is a shockingly unfunny character.

And then we have the story, it's fine with some stumbles here and there. There are both some nice little ideas involved with the wishes, but at the same time it can be very unclear about the magic/rules about them and how King Magnifico operates/progresses in the film. The characters actually do point that out, but I've never really been a fan of that as it doesn't magically absolve the fact they were unclear to begin with.

Now as for the biggest weakness of this film, it's a unique one. It's that it's the 100th anniversary film, and it wants you to remember that. What might seem like a cute easter egg at first turns into one reference after the other of as many past Disney animated films they can reference. There is zero hunt to these easter eggs as they toss them out however they can, to the point where it's just distracting.

Earlier they released the Once Upon a Studio short, which was the big 100th Anniversary short with references galore etc. But it worked just fine for that short. But to do that kind of thing in a full-length movie? It just takes away from Wish and the film doesn't stand on its own, it's the 100th Anniversary film from the beginning to the credits where it proceeds to reference all the films once again.

I know this film is gonna' do fine at the box office*, but this is something that could've shined brighter.

* EDIT - Well, it looks like it'll need some Elemental - sized legs if it wants to do fine at the box office.

Last edited:
Reactions: GA-MBIT and Jake S
I dont know why.....but I liked this

What I mean is, I'm just surprised so many people disliked this film but I enjoyed it more then Elemental.

I think the songs are fun and the main song is perfect for Disney Parks/Fireworks.

The Villain was just a Villain and I loved it, it worked well and think he would make a great villain for something like Fantasmic or a Halloween show.

The main character worked well and her crew/friends were better then their kinda basic designs made me think they would be

I think many side characters looked Generic but overall the film was pretty

Not saying I loved it but...I would watch again and not be upset vs many Disney movies I've seen and would watch again but get bored by the end

Reactions: Lucky Planet
With this being yet another underperformer from Disney, it’s obvious that the only lever Iger has left to pull is the nuclear option: all theatrical movies will not be available on Disney+ until a year after their premiere.

People would be upset about it to be sure, but the current situation is clearly not sustainable.

With this being yet another underperformer from Disney, it’s obvious that the only lever Iger has left to pull is the nuclear option: all theatrical movies will not be available on Disney+ until a year after their premiere.

People would be upset about it to be sure, but the current situation is clearly not sustainable.
I do think a big statement and then Disney’s media department doing a big PR play about it to make sure the GP knows would help.

However, I also think it’s certainly not just a D+ issue, but a quality issue. Between Marvel, Disney Animation, Pixar, LucasFilm - every main brand Disney has is going through quality issues (ups and downs).

Audiences used to have little doubt that a WDAS or Pixar film would disappoint. There was a period there for about five years during the end of Phase 2 and all of Phase 3 where audiences went in knowing at worst it would be a fun time with some laughs and heart (think an Ant-Man). The Star Wars content on D+ has been a huge mixed bag and with the MCU D+ content that’s also hit or miss, it’s diluted the brand.

Simply put, audiences have lost faith in Disney and they have a right to. This was the year where Disney finally lost me from going to MCU films and other films of theirs in theaters because the quality has just been everywhere. Look at the RT critic scores for Disney's theatrical release calendar this year... there are some solid scores here, but the lack of anything that people HAD to rush out and see and the amount of mediocre to bad stuff Disney threw in theaters ultimately made this year a year full of underperforming films or straight up box office bombs. GotG 3 is the only real successful film they had this year financially.

1. Haunted Mansion - 37%
2. Next Goal Wins (Searchlight) - 41%
3. Ant-Man: Quantumania - 46%
4. Wish - 50%
5. The Boogeyman (20th) - 60%
6. The Marvels - 61%
7. The Creator (20th) - 66%
8. The Little Mermaid - 67%
9. Indiana Jones 5 - 69%
10. Elemental - 74%
11. A Haunting In Venice (20th) - 75%
12. Chevalier (Searchlight) - 77%
13. Guardians 3 - 82%
14. Theater Camp (Searchlight) - 85%

Last edited:
Disney Plus is Killing their movies

Everyone know's they will be onm within 6 months and most don't get good enough buzz to make you think your missing anything so yeah

Also Spoilers for Wish Ending Credits
Meet the Robinson were the only modern day film (that's not a sequel because they didn't do sequels) to not get a tribute at the end of the movie.....But from Mermaid until now every other animated film that was not a sequel got a nod to

Reactions: GA-MBIT
The marketing for this movie was terrible.

I have acquaintances with Disneyland APs who didn’t even know this movie was coming out Thanksgiving let alone its existence. Didn’t help that it shares names with the cruise ship creating brand confusion (earlier in the year, the ship would often be top result in internet searches for “Disney Wish”). They tried to generate excitement by debuting a song a week leading up to film’s release but the songs are kind of awful.

Still, as an animation fan, I’ll be seeing this on an upcoming Discount Tuesday.

The marketing for this movie was terrible.

I have acquaintances with Disneyland APs who didn’t even know this movie was coming out Thanksgiving let alone its existence. Didn’t help that it shares names with the cruise ship creating brand confusion (earlier in the year, the ship would often be top result in internet searches for “Disney Wish”). They tried to generate excitement by debuting a song a week leading up to film’s release but the songs are kind of awful.

Still, as an animation fan, I’ll be seeing this on an upcoming Discount Tuesday.
The name of the film was a huge mess up. Especially naming it and promoting it the EXACT same thing as their newest cruise ship.

Also, I think it's finally start to look at who is running Pixar and WDAS since Lasseter left and put some blame on them. Lasseter absolutely deserved to be fired, but Pete Doctor (Pixar) & Jennifer Lee (WDAS) have not been particularly successful Chief Creative Officers since he left.

the art style looked kind of weird in the trailers and the characters seemed kind of annoying. I haven't watch this but it seemed kind of confusing. the art style kept me away from watching it to be honest. bad guy seemed kind of cliche

the art style looked kind of weird in the trailers and the characters seemed kind of annoying. I haven't watch this but it seemed kind of confusing. the art style kept me away from watching it to be honest. bad guy seemed kind of cliche
I mean....that's the charm of most villians

As if Jafar or Scar are deep characters

They just look cool and are bad. But Jarfar just wants power same with Scar....neither are that complicated

I mean....that's the charm of most villians

As if Jafar or Scar are deep characters

They just look cool and are bad. But Jarfar just wants power same with Scar....neither are that complicated
I haven't watch it, but this guy didn't seem cool but just kind of annoying in the trailer ( and maybe that's the point) he just didn't feel cool and threatening like Jafar or scar. those are so memorable, everyone will know who you are talking about 30 years later. immediately anyone with knowledge of Disney will know.

I might check this movie later but the first time I saw the poster of this villain in the mall, I thought he was the dad of the girl and a good guy lol

I haven't watch it, but this guy didn't seem cool but just kind of annoying in the trailer ( and maybe that's the point) he just didn't feel cool and threatening like Jafar or scar. those are so memorable, everyone will know who you are talking about 30 years later. immediately anyone with knowledge of Disney will know.

I might check this movie later but the first time I saw the poster of this villain in the mall, I thought he was the dad of the girl and a good guy lol
He becomes a threat. No idea if you will like him but he becomes a pure villain

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet