Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Do attractions become more beloved after closure?

I mean, it's really easy to say that because it's impossible to prove or disprove.

For 1990, Kongfrontation was an incredibly impressive and massive attraction. We'll probably never see something built "for real" on that scale ever again, which is a shame. If I had to pick the single experience that made me a Universal fan in 1993 at age 6, it would be Kongfrontation.
I remember Kong being quite pedestrian when I was a kid...I found JAWS/BTTF to be much more impressive.

Nostalgia has a big part of it, but I also think that it may be what replaced it and variety are just as important as how much it was loved. I think Universal in general has a hard time creating nostalgia, just because they replace and change things so often.

Was Twister good, no not really unless you were a fan of Canadian Tuxedos but I would rather do it than Fallon and same goes for Fast and Furious and Disaster, just because they were different and well better, but I don't think nostalgic is an accurate word.

Yes I am nostalgic for Jaws, it was amazing for multiple reasons but most of all the skippers. It was a one of a kind ride at all of Universal. Diagon is an amazing area and a good ride, but man I miss Amity and Jaws.

Heck I even feel a little nostalgic for Old Hulk vs New Hulk

The entire Epcot conversation is very different as literally every ride with the possible exception of Test Track was better than the one that replaced it. Horizons, Figment, Old Spaceship, Maelstrom (only because of the Arindale problem).

I think HHN is a different beast too, the older years of HHN were very different than anything since Walking Dead showed up. The event had a completely different feel so I think that put you in a different mindset for the houses.

Nostalgia has a big part of it, but I also think that it may be what replaced it and variety are just as important as how much it was loved. I think Universal in general has a hard time creating nostalgia, just because they replace and change things so often.

Was Twister good, no not really unless you were a fan of Canadian Tuxedos but I would rather do it than Fallon and same goes for Fast and Furious and Disaster, just because they were different and well better, but I don't think nostalgic is an accurate word.

Yes I am nostalgic for Jaws, it was amazing for multiple reasons but most of all the skippers. It was a one of a kind ride at all of Universal. Diagon is an amazing area and a good ride, but man I miss Amity and Jaws.

Heck I even feel a little nostalgic for Old Hulk vs New Hulk

The entire Epcot conversation is very different as literally every ride with the possible exception of Test Track was better than the one that replaced it. Horizons, Figment, Old Spaceship, Maelstrom (only because of the Arindale problem).

I think HHN is a different beast too, the older years of HHN were very different than anything since Walking Dead showed up. The event had a completely different feel so I think that put you in a different mindset for the houses.

I can't tell if it's nostalgia or me being a gullible young kid but when I went on Kongfrontation, Terminator, Ghostbusters, Jaws and BTTF when I was younger, I thought it was the real deal.

You obviously need suspension of disbelief to truly enjoy the rides as an adult but as a kid, nothing will ever beat the time I met the Ghostbusters, nothing will ever beat the fear I felt being attacked by a giant monkey or shark, nothing will ever beat seeing a real Terminator coming back in time onto a stage on his motorbike or the time I got to help Doc Brown.

You can also add the technology of the time being a huge factor about how a ride was received. Spider-Man is my favourite of all time and I still think that it's the most perfect ride ever. The experience aside, the first time ride, it felt like nothing before it and that leaves an impression.

Not always, though. Son of Beast and Mean Streak aren't missed by anyone except the chiropractors whose patients didn't have to come as frequently. I think that coasters can outlast their popularity a little more easily due to ride performance as well as newer coasters being the latest greatest.

For dark rides, it is different. For instance, I still miss Snow White's Scary Adventures and know that it wasn't a masterpiece of a dark ride. People miss Jaws but I much prefer Diagon Alley and Gringotts.

Can't believe I missed this, but I think it's this right here that explains why relatively few people were sad to see Dragons go. The original Dragons actually told a story, one that rivaled any beloved Disney original IMO. If they had ripped it out when it was in its original form, there would have been furor--I base this view off the fact that LC was based on plans for Beastly Kingdom, which people are still pining over. When the queue was hollowed out and became an awkward series of tunnels with random Triwizard stuff, however, so much of the magic was lost. Notice I didn't even mention the dueling.

I would love to see an HHN house that sort of recreates the original queue and ends in a treasure room between puppets of the two.

Can't believe I missed this, but I think it's this right here that explains why relatively few people were sad to see Dragons go. The original Dragons actually told a story, one that rivaled any beloved Disney original IMO. If they had ripped it out when it was in its original form, there would have been furor--I base this view off the fact that LC was based on plans for Beastly Kingdom, which people are still pining over. When the queue was hollowed out and became an awkward series of tunnels with random Triwizard stuff, however, so much of the magic was lost. Notice I didn't even mention the dueling.

I would love to see an HHN house that sort of recreates the original queue and ends in a treasure room between puppets of the two.

I didn't ride Dragons in its last year or two of life but I was quite sad to see them go. I really enjoyed both equally. Now, I think that the Hagrids coaster provides a better overall experience and ties in perfectly with the land. I just enjoyed the old Dragons, especially when they actually dueled.

I didn't ride Dragons in its last year or two of life but I was quite sad to see them go. I really enjoyed both equally. Now, I think that the Hagrids coaster provides a better overall experience and ties in perfectly with the land. I just enjoyed the old Dragons, especially when they actually dueled.

Don't think anything can ever top OG Dragons for me. But Hagrid's is def an improvement over post-Potter Dragons.

I alluded to this in the HHN thread, as to why I only rank the event 10 years back or so. If you ask me my favorite house of all time, I reflexively answer Demon Cantina in 2005. It's been a decade and a half since anyone walked thru that house--if they brought it back as an exact duplicate next year, I honestly don't know that it would still crack my top 10 given the epic haunts we've seen lately. But in my head ... it's was the greatest HHN house of all time. Nostalgia does that.

That said, there's a certain fan community "street cred" that comes from liking old attractions as well. I see kids on Twitter all the time mourn the loss of Horizons, which closed before they were born. I remember the opening day of Grog Grotto there were CMs behind me planning to order a Kungaloosh as their first drink--even tho they were probably tweens the Adventurers Club's last day of operation. I think the desire to look cool as a superfan also plays a role.
It’s because people wished they were alive when an attraction was operating, I also feel that way. When you close attractions, you close people’s dreams.

Nostalgia has a big part of it in my opinion. When I was little our parents took us to WDW (my first theme park) I clearly remember which rides we rode, the food we ate, it rained almost the entire time, and my shoe slipped off fell through the crack getting on the monorail (the cast members were able to get it once it left). I enjoyed all the rides but really liked 20,000 leagues under the sea. Being young and gullible I really thought we were under the water. The lovely couple that sat next to me were from England. I thought their accents were so fancy and they took the time to talk to me before the ride started. What I remember from the ride was the fish, bubbles, and the squid. Fast forward to the late 90s I went to WDW (my 2nd trip ever) with college friends. I was crushed to find that the ride was gone. At least all my other favs were still there. This was before social media so I didn't get the news it was replaced with Ariel's Grotto. I still had a fantstic time with my friends and I glad we went because Mr. Toads Wild Ride closed soon afterwards. A year ago I discovered Defunctland and the person who runs this did an amazing history about this ride and I totally appreciate the ride footage.
The following were attractions that I have experienced and truly miss. I miss them because the rides were enjoyable and the fun I had with friends and family.

WDW- 20,000 LUTS, MTWR, Alien encounter

Bush Gardens- Python (first roller coaster ride not counting space mtn)

Seaworld- Penguins. I miss the old exhibit. We would just sit along wall to cool off watch those little guys swim around.

IOA- Dueling Dragons (when they dueled)

Dis. Hollywood Studios- First time I went was within the year it opened as MGM. I hadn't been back until this past September. The park has totally changed. I'll just say I miss the tram tour and Golden Girls house...LOL.

USO- first trip was in 2014 so there isn't anything I'm missing. I did like the T-2 show but cant wait for the new Bourne. If I could go back in time I would want to do Jaws and Kongfrontation.

I feel 20,000 would have still done well at WDW. Alien Encounter probably should have been at Hollywood studios or Universal attraction. It just felt out of place at DW.

Nostalgia has a big part of it in my opinion. When I was little our parents took us to WDW (my first theme park) I clearly remember which rides we rode, the food we ate, it rained almost the entire time, and my shoe slipped off fell through the crack getting on the monorail (the cast members were able to get it once it left). I enjoyed all the rides but really liked 20,000 leagues under the sea. Being young and gullible I really thought we were under the water. The lovely couple that sat next to me were from England. I thought their accents were so fancy and they took the time to talk to me before the ride started. What I remember from the ride was the fish, bubbles, and the squid. Fast forward to the late 90s I went to WDW (my 2nd trip ever) with college friends. I was crushed to find that the ride was gone. At least all my other favs were still there. This was before social media so I didn't get the news it was replaced with Ariel's Grotto. I still had a fantstic time with my friends and I glad we went because Mr. Toads Wild Ride closed soon afterwards. A year ago I discovered Defunctland and the person who runs this did an amazing history about this ride and I totally appreciate the ride footage.
The following were attractions that I have experienced and truly miss. I miss them because the rides were enjoyable and the fun I had with friends and family.

WDW- 20,000 LUTS, MTWR, Alien encounter

Bush Gardens- Python (first roller coaster ride not counting space mtn)

Seaworld- Penguins. I miss the old exhibit. We would just sit along wall to cool off watch those little guys swim around.

IOA- Dueling Dragons (when they dueled)

Dis. Hollywood Studios- First time I went was within the year it opened as MGM. I hadn't been back until this past September. The park has totally changed. I'll just say I miss the tram tour and Golden Girls house...LOL.

USO- first trip was in 2014 so there isn't anything I'm missing. I did like the T-2 show but cant wait for the new Bourne. If I could go back in time I would want to do Jaws and Kongfrontation.

I feel 20,000 would have still done well at WDW. Alien Encounter probably should have been at Hollywood studios or Universal attraction. It just felt out of place at DW.

Oh you have no idea how badly I wish I could have seen AE. HHN needs to do a house similar to it. And I think the finale of Graveyard Games sets up a way to do so. :)

Oh you have no idea how badly I wish I could have seen AE. HHN needs to do a house similar to it. And I think the finale of Graveyard Games sets up a way to do so. :)
Alien Encounter was something else. An attraction at DW where people would be flipping out and screaming. I like being scared so it was up my alley. I'm glad I joined this forum to be around people who think about HHN as much as I do. There isnt anyone in my real life who wants to talk about it in depth

Alien Encounter was something else. An attraction at DW where people would be flipping out and screaming. I like being scared so it was up my alley. I'm glad I joined this forum to be around people who think about HHN as much as I do. There isnt anyone in my real life who wants to talk about it in depth

I was 8 when it closed, so if I had ridden it while it was open I think I would've had to have been institutionalized lol--given that the animatronics on Splash Mountain scared me at that age.