1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Do attractions become more beloved after closure?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JM-BENT, Nov 20, 2019.

1. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

I remember Kong being quite pedestrian when I was a kid...I found JAWS/BTTF to be much more impressive.

2. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    I found everything in that park impressive.

tankart150 likes this.
  3. MrRoamer

MrRoamer Premium Member

Nostalgia has a big part of it, but I also think that it may be what replaced it and variety are just as important as how much it was loved. I think Universal in general has a hard time creating nostalgia, just because they replace and change things so often.

Was Twister good, no not really unless you were a fan of Canadian Tuxedos but I would rather do it than Fallon and same goes for Fast and Furious and Disaster, just because they were different and well better, but I don't think nostalgic is an accurate word.

Yes I am nostalgic for Jaws, it was amazing for multiple reasons but most of all the skippers. It was a one of a kind ride at all of Universal. Diagon is an amazing area and a good ride, but man I miss Amity and Jaws.

Heck I even feel a little nostalgic for Old Hulk vs New Hulk

The entire Epcot conversation is very different as literally every ride with the possible exception of Test Track was better than the one that replaced it. Horizons, Figment, Old Spaceship, Maelstrom (only because of the Arindale problem).

I think HHN is a different beast too, the older years of HHN were very different than anything since Walking Dead showed up. The event had a completely different feel so I think that put you in a different mindset for the houses.

4. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

I can't tell if it's nostalgia or me being a gullible young kid but when I went on Kongfrontation, Terminator, Ghostbusters, Jaws and BTTF when I was younger, I thought it was the real deal.

You obviously need suspension of disbelief to truly enjoy the rides as an adult but as a kid, nothing will ever beat the time I met the Ghostbusters, nothing will ever beat the fear I felt being attacked by a giant monkey or shark, nothing will ever beat seeing a real Terminator coming back in time onto a stage on his motorbike or the time I got to help Doc Brown.

You can also add the technology of the time being a huge factor about how a ride was received. Spider-Man is my favourite of all time and I still think that it's the most perfect ride ever. The experience aside, the first time ride, it felt like nothing before it and that leaves an impression.

Jamesh22, tankart150, JM-BENT and 3 others like this.
  5. OhHaiInternet95

OhHaiInternet95 Veteran Member

Can't believe I missed this, but I think it's this right here that explains why relatively few people were sad to see Dragons go. The original Dragons actually told a story, one that rivaled any beloved Disney original IMO. If they had ripped it out when it was in its original form, there would have been furor--I base this view off the fact that LC was based on plans for Beastly Kingdom, which people are still pining over. When the queue was hollowed out and became an awkward series of tunnels with random Triwizard stuff, however, so much of the magic was lost. Notice I didn't even mention the dueling.

I would love to see an HHN house that sort of recreates the original queue and ends in a treasure room between puppets of the two.

MrRoamer, tankart150 and SkiBum like this.
  6. SkiBum

SkiBum Veteran Member

I didn't ride Dragons in its last year or two of life but I was quite sad to see them go. I really enjoyed both equally. Now, I think that the Hagrids coaster provides a better overall experience and ties in perfectly with the land. I just enjoyed the old Dragons, especially when they actually dueled.

tankart150 likes this.
  7. OhHaiInternet95

OhHaiInternet95 Veteran Member

Don't think anything can ever top OG Dragons for me. But Hagrid's is def an improvement over post-Potter Dragons.

tankart150, shiekra38 and SkiBum like this.
  8. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

This is actually a great way of putting it

OG IOA was a special place

tankart150 and OhHaiInternet95 like this.
  9. tankart150

tankart150 Member

It’s because people wished they were alive when an attraction was operating, I also feel that way. When you close attractions, you close people’s dreams.

Jamesh22 and Mad Dog like this.