Dragons Not Dueling? | Inside Universal Forums

Dragons Not Dueling?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 20, 2008
Got a text message from my friend in the park today. He told me that Dragons wasn't dueling, and I asked what he meant, maybe only one side was running, or something else? He said they were purposely sending one train, then when that one cleared the station, they sent the other one. It was for each dispatch, then I'm assuming they disabled the syncing on the lift hills, so the trains left the lift one train length apart. Is this the norm now because of the accident, or has someone else seen otherwise?

I've noticed the sync not work before, but I've never seen it done on purpose like this. Maybe there is some investigation going on with the accident and they can't run them together until the investigation is complete? :shrug:

Oh gawd... if this is a reaction to the man getting hit in the eye then it is ridiculous. I have a feeling they will fade back to syncing them up. On the other hand, the new name does not promise dueling, so it could be a company decision to avoid further complications... Might we never see the near collision ever again?

Oh gawd... if this is a reaction to the man getting hit in the eye then it is ridiculous. I have a feeling they will fade back to syncing them up. On the other hand, the new name does not promise dueling, so it could be a company decision to avoid further complications... Might we never see the near collision ever again?

That would be horrible. I really hope this ride doesn't suffer forever because of a single freak accident. They already took away the queue, hopefully we haven't lost another great part of the ride.

I'm sure it was just an off-sync thing. I've seen that happen many times when the queue is smaller or when there is a backup with the vehicles. They then stop the ride to sync after a while and then it continues on as normal, but then again we don't really know if it was because of the accident.

This happens when one train has a brief problem (like a rider having to get off or having to unlock the restraints and check them again) in the station and has to leave late. They launch the other side normally so that they don't hold up the line, but then the dueling gets off. After the problem is resolved, they hold one side in the station slightly longer than normal and eventually the dueling gets back in place. Not a big deal, it happens often.

I'm sure it was just an off-sync thing. I've seen that happen many times when the queue is smaller or when there is a backup with the vehicles. They then stop the ride to sync after a while and then it continues on as normal, but then again we don't really know if it was because of the accident.

We will have to see. I have seen the out of sync too, many times... but never every time. The OP's post makes it sound if the friend was watching over and over.

We will have to see. I have seen the out of sync too, many times... but never every time. The OP's post makes it sound if the friend was watching over and over.

You're right. The OP said they were holding one train. Not that one had an issue. It seemed to be on purpose.

So what if it is a permanent change... visitors cannot easily see the duel loop unless they go on the ride now. Plus, you had to be in the front seat to really know the collision scene. Both coasters are great, so it doesn't really matter these days; so great that you never were that aware of the other coaster unless you were a hopeless ride fan that went over and over again dozens of times. Right?

So what if it is a permanent change... visitors cannot easily see the duel loop unless they go on the ride now. Plus, you had to be in the front seat to really know the collision scene. Both coasters are great, so it doesn't really matter these days; so great that you never were that aware of the other coaster unless you were a hopeless ride fan that went over and over again dozens of times. Right?
Wrong. It's still a great feature of a great ride, it's still exciting to see them come so close, and it would be a shame for it to be axed.

I'm sorry, but this is wrong. You can see the loops if you look through the arch, and you can clearly see boths trains whisk by in the interlocked corkscrews, even from inside the 3Broomsticks. Every duel is clealy visible all along the exit and entrance paths. From any seat on Fire you can clearly see the first duel. And the dueling loops are featured prominently in one of Universal's WWoHP ads. The dueling will go away only when this ride is torn down.

If you where a person who knew what the ride is really about and where to look while riding...sure. The fact that it does that adds more to the experience. Otherwise, to the one time park guest / vacation-er. Not really, but I would like if the ride was doing what it's suppost to do. Like The Cat In The Hat's spinning , Spiderman's flamethrower, and the big one....the water vortex.

Last edited:

Right. And if you never rode Jurassic Park before, how were you supposed to know the dinosaurs ever moved and had non-broken necks?

I just have to completely disagree with you here. The ride won't be the same without it. Will it be decent? Sure. But part of the uniqueness and charm is the dueling effects.

Around 9PM tonight they were only running Fire. They ran Ice a couple of times empty. I believe that they may just be havine technical difficulties.

damnit!!! I'm heading up there Thursday so they better be running both trains by then. I'm really hoping it's just a tech. difficulty and not a result from the actident. I agree that it would be a shame if the dueling portion of the ride were axed, it's what sets it apart from other coasters and makes the overall ride more thrilling.

Was at IOA yesterday. Checked DC at different times during the day. Trains where dispatched staggered all day as far as I could tell.

DragonChallenge-Corkscrew.jpg

NOT Dueling!!!

Last edited:
When did this incident happen? When I was at IOA last week they were dueling and I thought it was more than a week ago?