Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dreamworks Theatre with Kung Fu Panda - Coming 2018

I never thought the removal of Shrek would leave me with a "Yeah...but"....However. Yeah removing Shrek is a win....But....

I don't love that this is going the way of the Pixar Short Film Theater, Guardians/Star Wars previews, etc. that Disney has been doing. Don't get me wrong, the building looks great. And I totally get the theme of a studio preview theater. But as bad as the actual film of Shrek was, the pre-show was one of Universal's best in terms of setting up the experience. I just don't love this kind of generic attraction. If I want to go see a movie in a theater, I can do it when I'm not in a theme park. And at least at first, Shrek wasn't available elsewhere.

Nitpicking, because yes removing Shrek is a tough change to argue against. But it's still is missing the mark for me a bit.

Comparing the DWT to something similar to a Preview/Short Film Theater seen from Disney isn't a fair idea.

Comparing the DWT to something similar to a Preview/Short Film Theater seen from Disney isn't a fair idea.

From a effort standpoint? Certainly not. And that's why I said I do think the building looks great. But it's a thematically similar idea. I don't mean to compare the investment or scope of the attractions. But it's a style I'm not looking for when I go to the parks. It's certainly closer to the Short Film theater than a true 3D experience like T2. Which I guess to be fair, hasn't really happened since T2.

Its really not as I suspect this will utilize Screen X technology (270 degree screen). The Difference with that compared to the preview theatre is as long as you don't look straight behind you, things will be going on. Add in 4Dx style chairs which are better than the original shrek. This may be a more pleasant experience than most are anticipating.

Its really not as I suspect this will utilize Screen X technology (270 degree screen). The Difference with that compared to the preview theatre is as long as you don't look straight behind you, things will be going on. Add in 4Dx style chairs which are better than the original shrek. This may be a more pleasant experience than most are anticipating.

To me, outside of the Christie Projector upgrades (which could give it the possibility of 4K or 8K), and the lighting upgrades to accompany the projection mapping on the new show, I think they will also be upgrading the Audio system, to be much more in line with Dolby Atmos.

I also think that 4DX makes sense to replace the current set of 4D seating, as they are not only more with the times, but that it will allow more effects for the shows that Universal can achieve with a flex theater like this, and that there is a lot of potential that can come out of the seating.

I hope when they mean "whole new experience" they mean a short feature created just for the parks.

This. So much this.

That's my thing. I have no doubts the films will look pristine, and the theater be comfortable fluid. But I hope it adds something new to the theme park experience, instead of just adding some effects and movements to an existing film.

I wouldn't worry about the film. Universal has been upping their game on 4D films in Japan that they will probably pull some of the story team who create those attractions to create upgrades for the DreamWorks Theatre Stateside.

I'm absolutely terrible at analyzing concept art so this has probably been given away in the video but I wonder if the exit will be changed to face the new animation store. I remember when the extended queue was used for HHN, we would leave through the Shrek queue exit facing Cartooniversal.

I hope when they mean "whole new experience" they mean a short feature created just for the parks.

From what I understand, the Kung Fu Panda short will be brand-new, but most future "swaps" will be pre-existing material. I'd expect them to test out some old holiday specials between showings next year.

I do wonder if Uni will give in and start doing previews of upcoming DWA flicks. I hope not.

I'm absolutely terrible at analyzing concept art so this has probably been given away in the video but I wonder if the exit will be changed to face the new animation store. I remember when the extended queue was used for HHN, we would leave through the Shrek queue exit facing Cartooniversal.

That's a fantastic idea. I just wonder if the Animation Store will be too far away? Before Cartooniversal was demolished the two buildings did not touch and there was a Team Member outlet into the park right between them. If they reroute that path though, I could totatlly see the buildings supplimenting eachother.

They can't just demolish shrek though especially with the Potter projectors on top.

I never thought the removal of Shrek would leave me with a "Yeah...but"....However. Yeah removing Shrek is a win....But....

I don't love that this is going the way of the Pixar Short Film Theater, Guardians/Star Wars previews, etc. that Disney has been doing. Don't get me wrong, the building looks great. And I totally get the theme of a studio preview theater. But as bad as the actual film of Shrek was, the pre-show was one of Universal's best in terms of setting up the experience. I just don't love this kind of generic attraction. If I want to go see a movie in a theater, I can do it when I'm not in a theme park. And at least at first, Shrek wasn't available elsewhere.

Nitpicking, because yes removing Shrek is a tough change to argue against. But it's still is missing the mark for me a bit.

The main issue with the Shrek pre-show is that it has nothing to do with the main show :lol:

Also- I'm hoping that they go with seats that do not move. The motion seats of Shrek are one of the worst aspects of it. Loud and distracting. I prefer 4D shows like T2, Captain EO etc with stationary seats.

A long time ago, the Tower of the Americas in San Antonio had a small 4D show called "Skies Over Texas". I don't know if it's still there as I saw that a decade ago, but the seats were EXACTLY the same as Shrek 4D. There was one effect in that show that made it stand out above other 4D theaters. The entire theater/motions seats were on a floor that swayed left to right; pretty significantly at that. It would sway ten feet in each direction.

As the theater rocked, you didn't notice the theater moving, but you felt it. It really sold the idea that you were flying in the skies following a helicopter. It was a cool twist to your typical 4D theater and have always wanted to see that implemented in other 4D shows or other simulators.

This would be the perfect opportunity to do that, but there's no space or placement to put the system behind the walls to make the theater do that. I know this will not happen, but I'm disappointed to see that not done anywhere else. If you're in San Antonio and that show is still there at the Tower of the Americas, I recommend you check it out to see what I'm talking about. Hopefully it hasn't aged terribly.

Noticed we don't have the concept art posted in this thread yet... It'll help with discussion since Shrek's demise is right around the corner.

8eNf0nC.jpg

wf64DvN.jpg

KRtUrZj.jpg

sExlmtD.jpg

41ZHrxo.jpg

A long time ago, the Tower of the Americas in San Antonio had a small 4D show called "Skies Over Texas". I don't know if it's still there as I saw that a decade ago, but the seats were EXACTLY the same as Shrek 4D. There was one effect in that show that made it stand out above other 4D theaters. The entire theater/motions seats were on a floor that swayed left to right; pretty significantly at that. It would sway ten feet in each direction.

As the theater rocked, you didn't notice the theater moving, but you felt it. It really sold the idea that you were flying in the skies following a helicopter. It was a cool twist to your typical 4D theater and have always wanted to see that implemented in other 4D shows or other simulators.

This would be the perfect opportunity to do that, but there's no space or placement to put the system behind the walls to make the theater do that. I know this will not happen, but I'm disappointed to see that not done anywhere else. If you're in San Antonio and that show is still there at the Tower of the Americas, I recommend you check it out to see what I'm talking about. Hopefully it hasn't aged terribly.
Fallon?

Looking at the concept art, they really aren't going to be doing anything extremely major as far as the exterior goes. The only thing they'll really be adding is the entrance domed archway. I feel like the theatre itself is where most of the heavy construction is going to be.

Also it seems like we will NOT be losing our gorgeous forested queue afterall. Unfortunately, the extended queue area behind the building will still exist. I wish they'd take this opportunity to just enclose it entirely. They really dropped the ball when it came to the queue renovation for Shrek/Potter.