Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dreamworks Theatre with Kung Fu Panda - Coming 2018

As a fun little anecedote, via by Mouseinfo, we now can see in the lobby a series of posters for "How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World.

Df8QPcMUwAA6d7p.jpg

Included in the batch, is the North American poster, the French poster, the black logo poster, and a character poster of what seems to be of Hiccup (and I think even Astrid, but it's a bit hard to tell with the way the shot is angled)..

I made it to the park yesterday and saw Kung Fu Panda for the first time since technical rehearsals. The actual wait was only 15 minutes at 7:30pm--although the posted sign said 25 min. One observation that the above pictures reminded me of: in the pre-show, about 1/4th of the room has terrible sightlines to the props in the display cases. So when those items are referenced in the pre-show, one section of the room won't be able to see what's being referred to. Based on the photo above, I think the display case would be more visible to the entire room where the How to Train Your Dragon posters are. However, the downside is that would require the guests to pivot their heads back-and-forth a lot. Anyway, it's a minor quibble, but a shortcoming nonetheless.

6:39 shows the new donkey, but im curious if they might consider moving Mr. Ping into donkeys old spot and making him into a year round character?

Last edited:
It's crazy how that was built out almost literally overnight.
Was probably a pretty easy install actually. A bunch of Pre-fab pieces and then Donkey. I’m sure they had a plan of attacking and it probably only took them a few hours. Good preparation allows things like this to happen.

Wow this looks great! The should definitely turn the area into a dreamworks land! Complete with a trolls show, Madagascar boat ride, and how to train your dragon coaster.

We're coming up on the first anniversary of DreamWorks Theatre's opening. Technical rehearsals occurred Memorial Day weekend last year. Any rumors/thoughts on if they're gonna change out or rotate Kung Fu Panda with another show from a different DreamWorks IP such as How to Train Your Dragon?

We're coming up on the first anniversary of DreamWorks Theatre's opening. Technical rehearsals occurred Memorial Day weekend last year. Any rumors/thoughts on if they're gonna change out or rotate Kung Fu Panda with another show from a different DreamWorks IP such as How to Train Your Dragon?

I don't believe we will see changes yearly but every 2 or 3 years could be likely which would mean a new film in 2020 or 2021.

The question is... what will it be?
Taking a look at their upcoming slate we could potentially see a film for Abominable or the Croods 2. I'd prefer Dragons (and the merch sales opps are higher)

It’s definitely time for a new and better video.

New, possibly... but I agree with above, I think it could be every 2-3 years. Not everyone visits USH in a year, and a lot of people probably still haven't seen it.

But a better video? In terms of plot, maybe. The storylines of these sorts of attractions are typically pretty thin. But visually--which, face it, is the main draw--I don't think it really needs to be "better".

A change any sooner is unlikely, but If guest satisfaction was to drop or Panda was failing to draw in sufficient numbers then I could see something happening.

Probably more a case of this becoming a multi film venue like the 3D theatre in Japan. Would be reasonably easy to add Shrek or similar into the rotation.

Probably more a case of this becoming a multi film venue like the 3D theatre in Japan. Would be reasonably easy to add Shrek or similar into the rotation.

I don't really see them doing this. The preshow video relies too heavily on the props and scenery in the preshow room. It would have to be totally remodeled in order to bring in a new show.

There’s only 3 props in the glass casing, it wouldn’t be difficult to change it out at all. Everything else is just a screen.

Coming to this thread; I loved this experience when I was in Universal last week.

It felt like what would happen if they did Simpsons in a full 180' degree setting, and it was beautiful. I loved the set dressing, as the new aesthetic changes to blend it with Universal Plaza is nothing short of amazing. And the Preshow's pretty fun and cool to look at; but my props for that go to the sound department on how they handled where you hear certain characters (Shrek, Donkey, and Marty sounded muffled where I was, more-so due to how I was closer to the practical elements).

And as far as the in-theater experience goes, it feels incredibly smooth, as the projectors handle the quality of the animation really nicely. Happy I got to experience it finally, as it was definitely a highlight of the trip.