Entertainment Changes at DHS | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Entertainment Changes at DHS

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Don't count on it. These are for the most parts straight up cuts, saving funds to try and show reduced operating costs to combat the money pit that MM+ continues to be. The shareholders want better profit and operating numbers with constraints in further capital spending, and a cut like this, along with killing support infrastructure, can help with a park so heavy on entertainment.

So nothing at all coming to DHS? No Carsland? Star Wars?

Don't count on it. These are for the most parts straight up cuts, saving funds to try and show reduced operating costs to combat the money pit that MM+ continues to be. The shareholders want better profit and operating numbers with constraints in further capital spending, and a cut like this, along with killing support infrastructure, can help with a park so heavy on entertainment.

I don't think so.

Yeah, I think this has got to have something to do with future plans to re-work this park and add some stuff to it. The timing just seems to fit.

If the rumors of the hat pulling a disappearing act is true, I will be quite happy. I look forward to a time when Mann's Chinese theater will be the main Icon for the park again.

I don't think so.

I'd lean more towards not counting on it, at least based just on the parades leaving. While removing the hat would impact both of these offerings, the expected/rumored expansions don't come close to touching the land the parade facilities occupies, and they really don't take up much meaningful space. While the two main parade support buildings may be getting demolished, the very large building between them (Cast costuming and other cast facilities) won't be going anywhere soon, unless what I alluded to in the other thread has something to do with that, which I don't believe it does. Until something is indicated to me or I observe something that suggests those facilities moving, I wouldn't look at this as a sign of anything to come.

I'd lean more towards not counting on it, at least based just on the parades leaving. While removing the hat would impact both of these offerings, the expected/rumored expansions don't come close to touching the land the parade facilities occupies, and they really don't take up much meaningful space.

No, but the Red Cars would affect the parade route heavily.

You've heard talk about the trolleys making their way to DHS? That's definitely news to me, and I would think Hollywood Blvd. is too narrow in the front half and the gate area to small to accommodate the trolley and a turnaround area. Now, if they want to run it down Sunset, I think they may be able to manage that. However, just like with the main street vehicles, the space relative to the crowds even on an "average" day may regularly hamper the operation on both Hollywood and Sunset. I'll have to make some closer observations and look at pictures of DCA (and see for myself in a few months), but on first thought, I don't think it would work unless they completely redo the front half, and there's no need for that.

If the rumors of the hat pulling a disappearing act is true, I will be quite happy. I look forward to a time when Mann's Chinese theater will be the main Icon for the park again.

The park needs more things to do first, and an aesthetic cleanup second. Considering you can't have your cake and eat it too when dealing with TDO, give me attractions.

The amount cut by killing a parade does show a savings but not on the level of the shareholders caring. Not when you look at the offset in the crowd. Families like parades, and without one there is no reason to be in that park in the middle of the day. Also once the parade is over it leaves all those people at the front of the park along the route standing next to a store.

Also the whole next gen thing isn't the money pit you'd think it is. By putting the method of payment on the ticket/magic band it will probably increase sales. By taking it away from something we recognize as cash (cash, credit cards) it subconsciously makes it easier to spend money.

Maybe if that stuff worked consistently, but there are an awful lot of guests that are not happy with being the "guinea pigs" for MM+ and it hasn't gone well technically or practically. The whole system is far from polished or even ready for primetime from my observation and experience. That's not just one person's opinion, either, very few CMs in multiple areas are less than enthused with how things have worked, and the consensus seems to be that the uphill battle and issues are still just beginning.

And they have spent more than they initially thought, and the budget (or rather the over-runs) hasn't stopped growing from what I understand. While yes, I'm sure the system will eventually make back its investment (or they'll put as much lipstick as they can on it), it is and has been a money pit so far.

Maybe if that stuff worked consistently, but there are an awful lot of guests that are not happy with being the "guinea pigs" for MM+ and it hasn't gone well technically or practically. The whole system is far from polished or even ready for primetime from my observation and experience. That's not just one person's opinion, either, very few CMs in multiple areas are less than enthused with how things have worked, and the consensus seems to be that the uphill battle and issues are still just beginning.

And they have spent more than they initially thought, and the budget (or rather the over-runs) hasn't stopped growing from what I understand. While yes, I'm sure the system will eventually make back its investment (or they'll put as much lipstick as they can on it), it is and has been a money pit so far.

But anything is a money pit until it starts up. Until it's running it obviously can't make any money. That being said you said guests are unhappy, then you cited CMs being unhappy. Big diffrence, it doesn't matter if the people who are paid to be there have to do deal with crap, it matters if the people who paid have to. My experience is guests are always very happy to try something new that not everyone can use.

A lot of both crowds are unhappy, and it isn't just the front line CMs that are unhappy, and that is something worth noting. There are some executives' heads on the line for this, and they are not going to let them roll by their own choice, it is being pushed through at the highest levels no matter the pushback at any level or from anyone, including guests up to a certain point.

But this is for the NextGen discussion, and as I said earlier, this entertainment change is mostly about cuts, not for expansion purposes (they'll be running the Star Wars parade on the same route for a month and change). This was further reinforced by a conversation I had today. You know the "all-important" guest satisfaction scores? Neither scored very well at all, and in fact most evidently said that Block Party Bash was better and they would prefer it/like to see it return. What was the reaction? Cut them both and just be done with parades at the park. Not giving the guests what they wanted, because that would involve returning to something they cut from the budget in the first place.

Last edited: