Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
These days I would think a sponsor would have to be a meat and potatoes kind of company like, Duracell, Tesla, or a Solar Panel manufacturer such as Solartech or SunSpark.

The new motto is "it's gotta sell merchandise and food". They must have ideas on how all the new attractions coming can do that. I'd guess merch will be a big focus of GotG and food a big focus of Rat.

The new motto is "it's gotta sell merchandise and food". They must have ideas on how all the new attractions coming can do that. I'd guess merch will be a big focus of GotG and food a big focus of Rat.

One would think, and yet the rumor is that GOTG isn't even going to have a dedicated gift shop, which seems strange if their number one goal is to move merchandise (which it clearly is; it's certainly not "build an attraction that fits in Epcot").

They made a similarly weird choice to open Toy Story Land sans gift shop.

One would think, and yet the rumor is that GOTG isn't even going to have a dedicated gift shop, which seems strange if their number one goal is to move merchandise (which it clearly is; it's certainly not "build an attraction that fits in Epcot").

They made a similarly weird choice to open Toy Story Land sans gift shop.
I think the goal is more about marketing. Big names get people to book new vacations. Come visit the all new science ride doesn't have the same ring to it as all-new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster. Come visit our new kiddie land doesn't get people to book as well as Toy Story Land. Etc Etc.

I truly believe that adding the Ratatouille ride to Epcot is more about having more child-friendly offerings in the park though, not a cash grab move. Like adding something to UK, I genuinely think it's more about rounding out the park offerings than just sticking an IP somewhere.

Not all IPs can become merch powerhouses. Besides an actual cassette version of Mix Tape Vol. 1 and some baby Groot plushies, what will people be clamoring for? The GOTG doesn’t really have iconic costumes either. It’s not iconic like Batman or Spider-Man.
Has the GOTG merch been selling well in DL?

I think the goal is more about marketing. Big names get people to book new vacations. Come visit the all new science ride doesn't have the same ring to it as all-new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster. Come visit our new kiddie land doesn't get people to book as well as Toy Story Land. Etc Etc.

Even if I accept the marketing motivation (which is possible!), their goal still wasn't "build a great ride for Epcot," and that's where I just have a fundamental philosophical problem with it.

I do agree about the motivation behind Ratatouille, however, and I have no issue with that ride going where it's going. I'm actively looking forward to it.

Reactions: Jones14 and Alicia
Not all IPs can become merch powerhouses. Besides an actual cassette version of Mix Tape Vol. 1 and some baby Groot plushies, what will people be clamoring for? The GOTG doesn’t really have iconic costumes either. It’s not iconic like Batman or Spider-Man.
Has the GOTG merch been selling well in DL?

Disney won't be restricted to GOTG, they can sell souvenirs based on all Marvel characters since merch rights are different from attraction rights.

Reactions: HPFred
I bet their plan was (or is) to turn WoL into a Stark Expo and sell lots of merch and meet and greets for characters they can use. Don't think they can use the name Stark so they will probably end up calling it "Hero HQ"

Reactions: DisneyDoof
I bet their plan was (or is) to turn WoL into a Stark Expo and sell lots of merch and meet and greets for characters they can use. Don't think they can use the name Stark so they will probably end up calling it "Hero HQ"

Not that I want this to happen, but I was thinking the other day what if they turned all of Future World into Stark Expo (Assuming If They Ever Get The Marvel Rights)? I feel like Disney (Especially Bob Chapek) has thought about this.

Just a thought, and for laughs. I know this is not happening.

WoL: Pym Technologies Showcase (Ant-Man)
Imagination: The Orlando Sanctum With Doctor Strange Based 4D Show & Trackless Ride (Could Potentially Include Thor)
Mission Space: Captain Marvel Based Ride
Test Track: Shield Pavillion With Some Avengers-Based Ride
The Land: Wakandan Technology Showcase (With Soarin' Over Wakanda)
UOE: Guardians
SSE: Something With Iron Man and Spiderman/ Stark Industries
Communicore/Innoventions: Stark Industries Showcase Or Just Tear It Down.

Only one i'm stuck on is The Seas (If Only Aquaman Was Marvel)

Last edited:

Imagination: The Orlando Sanctum With Doctor Strange Based 4D Show & Trackless Ride (Could Potentially Include Thor)

Namor

Somehow I feel that MS and Test Track will be left alone....I wouldn't mind another Marvel attraction there