Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 89 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think with it being more of a forest look, part of the design in that is to use the trees to draw you in to certain areas. I don't know, we'll see how it turns out. That's my take on it though.

I will say, i'm not a fan of the asymmetrical look with half of the communicore buildings staying and half being demolished.
If buildings actually had to be demolished, I was personally team “Demolish the South Builidings.” That way, you maintain symmetry, and still get a more open FW.

Lolz when you put it that way it's depressing

Lol. I didn't mean to! I'm excited for all the changes. I was just thinking about how when it's all said and done, it doesn't look like it'll change how I navigate Epcot much at the end of the day. Especially if FP tiers remain as restrictive as they are.

Epcot's Epic Transformation: I'm still just here for the food.

Reactions: Andysol
Just like I said originally when Jurassic Park started; We should expect much worse before it gets better. And Epcot is going to look much, much worse over the next year+.

We aren’t close to rock bottom yet. Brace for impact.
Yes, it even looked quite bad in November...and that was still early stages. We were done after a 3/4 day in the park and cancelled our second day to add another DHS day. With two of the country movies down, and getting really bored with most of the Future World attractions after too many rides over the years, the park didn't seem to have any spark....plus they had delayed Holiday decorations to the last day in November. Really not much to do....The Rat should help a little.

Reactions: Disneyhead
I heard Disney owns and operates the stores. Probably for a larger slice of the pie. Also Bio tweeted there were about 50 people in line at 3pm today. Pretty sure they want this open like yesterday.
Universal does too. It’s called franchising.

The only one that Starbucks owns and operates is the Starbucks Reserve in Disney Springs West Side.

I didn't even know there was a Starbucks Reserve in Disney Springs. I just passed by one in New York and it definitely had a distinct look to it.

Reactions: Disneyhead
January 4th is the last day for Mouse Gears at its current location. On January 5th, it will be moving over next to Electric Umbrella where Innoventions formerly was on that side. This is just a major renovation to the existing store and it will eventually move back.

Also, Character Spot is going away completely next month with all characters that were there getting permanent homes elsewhere around the park - except for Baymax and Sadness, who will no longer be meeting.

I will be stunned if the giant star revolving at the front survives this refurb. A shame, because it adds kinetic energy.
I expect this refurb to be whatever they consider an Epcot version of the new World of Disney store to be. Strip the overly-Disney theming for something more bland, open floor plan, projection mapping just because they can, etc.

The current store isn't the best and the gears have needed to go for awhile imo (the name will be changing from what i've heard), but if they go that route, it will be a severe downgrade.

Disney's current M.O. when it comes to merchandise locations (that aren't themed in-universe to a land, like Galaxy's Edge) does not inspire confidence for the new Mouse Gear being a particularly fun or inviting place in which to shop.

I really don't know why Chapek favors stripping away personality from these locations, but he clearly thinks it's important to do so.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Disney's current M.O. when it comes to merchandise locations (that aren't themed in-universe to a land, like Galaxy's Edge) does not inspire confidence for the new Mouse Gear being a particularly fun or inviting place in which to shop.

I really don't know why Chapek favors stripping away personality from these locations, but he clearly thinks it's important to do so.
IIRC, there’s already concept art out there. Very open. Very White. A couple of wood accents.

Reactions: SeventyOne

The guy is a tool and terrible for theme parks; but his track record in merchandise and sales is pretty solid.

So while we may not like the aesthetics, it’s at least possible that it may move more product. We aren’t privy to those numbers, but they certainly are.