Epic Universe ‘Homework’ Thread | Inside Universal Forums

Epic Universe ‘Homework’ Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

GA-MBIT

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2017
Isle Delfino
It's something I like to do before every HHN event, which is try to experience as much of the media that a theme park attraction is based off of before I experience it in person! It's honestly been a good bit of fun and always lets me appreciate the use of the property much more than going in blind. Here we have a full brand new theme park to prep for, so I want to make as close to a definitive list of Homework materials as I can for each of the attractions and lands!

I have not been following construction or details incredibly closely for risk of total spoilers, so I may miss certain elements or things that originate from a film, TV series, book, or game not listed here. I'd appreciate if you were able to throw in some suggestions to help fill this list out if you see any holes!

I will probably also not include every single thing in a franchise, and lean more towards the things that have actually influenced the park itself. I don't think playing Super Mario Bros 2 is essential for getting the idea of Super Nintendo World haha. Where necessary, I'll place Bold Formatting on media that directly connects the parks, and Italicized Formatting on material that exists if you want to dig deeper, may have minor references within the land or ride, but is largely inessential.

The (eventually) Definitive Epic Universe homework list!

Super Nintendo World

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Game, Nintendo Switch, 2017) (Mario Kart: Bowsers Challenge)
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Game, Nintendo Switch, 2021) (General land aesthetics, Bowser Jr's Shadow Showdown)
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Game, SNES, 1995) (Yoshi's Adventure)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Game, Nintendo Switch, 2018) (Yoshi's Adventure)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (Game, Nintendo Wii/Nintendo Switch, 2007/2020) (Cosmic Observatory Land Cameo)
  • Pikmin (Game Series, Nintendo Switch, 2001-2023) (Land Cameos)
  • Super Mario Bros Movie (Film. 2023) (General land aesthetics)
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns (Game, 2010) (General land aesthetics, Mine Kart Madness)

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Ministry of Magic

• Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Film, 2001)
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Film, 2002)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Film, 2004)
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Film, 2005)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Film, 2007)
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Film, 2009)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (Film, 2010)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (Film, 2011)
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Film, 2016)
  • Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Film, 2018)
  • Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (Film, 2022)

Dark Universe

• The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Film, 1923) (Might not appear in land.)
  • Dracula (Film, 1931) (Monsters Unchained: The Frankenstein Experiment)
  • Frankenstein (Film, 1931) (General land aesthetics, Monsters Unchained: The Frankenstein Experiment)
  • The Mummy (Film, 1931)
  • The Invisible Man (Film, 1933) (Might not appear in land.)
  • Bride of Frankenstein (Film, 1935) (Might not appear in land.)
  • The Wolf Man (Film, 1941) (The Curse of the Werewolf)
  • Phantom of the Opera (Film, 1943) (Might not appear in land.)
  • Creature From The Black Lagoon (Film, 1954)

How to Train Your Dragon: Isle of Berk

• How to Train Your Dragon (Film, 2010) (General land aesthetics)
  • How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Film, 2014) (General land aesthetics, Dragon Racer's Rally)
  • How to Train Your Dragon 3 (Film, 2019)

I think Potter and Dragons are my biggest missing chunks currently, but if you notice anything else please lmk! I'll add to this as I watch/play all of this media for myself and as more details drop about the new park!

Last edited:
For Super Nintendo World, you could also include Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. Captain Toad and Toadette both play a role in the story of the Yoshi's Adventure attraction.
I figured 3D World + Bowser's Fury hitting Captain Toad's levels would represent everything, but you're right! While Captain Toadette appears in Bowser's Fury, it's only as a minor cameo, no actual levels. Since Captain Toadette first showed up and is only playable in Treasure Tracker, on the list it goes!

It's something I like to do before every HHN event, which is try to experience as much of the media that a theme park attraction is based off of before I experience it in person! It's honestly been a good bit of fun and always lets me appreciate the use of the property much more than going in blind. Here we have a full brand new theme park to prep for, so I want to make as close to a definitive list of Homework materials as I can for each of the attractions and lands!

I have not been following construction or details incredibly closely for risk of total spoilers, so I may miss certain elements or things that originate from a film, TV series, book, or game not listed here. I'd appreciate if you were able to throw in some suggestions to help fill this list out if you see any holes!

I will probably also not include every single thing in a franchise, and lean more towards the things that have actually influenced the park itself. I don't think playing Super Mario Bros 2 is essential for getting the idea of Super Nintendo World haha. Where necessary, I'll place Bold Formatting on media that directly connects the parks, and Italicized Formatting on material that exists if you want to dig deeper, may have minor references within the land or ride, but is largely inessential.

The (eventually) Definitive Epic Universe homework list!

Super Nintendo World

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Game, Nintendo Switch, 2017) (Mario Kart: Bowsers Challenge)
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Game, Nintendo Switch, 2021) (General land aesthetics, Bowser Jr's Shadow Showdown)
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Game, SNES, 1995) (Yoshi's Adventure)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Game, Nintendo Switch, 2018) (Yoshi's Adventure)
  • Pikmin (Game Series, Nintendo Switch, 2001-2023) (Land Cameos)
  • Super Mario Bros Movie (Film. 2023) (General land aesthetics)
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns (Game, 2010) (General land aesthetics, Mine Kart Madness)

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Ministry of Magic

• Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Film, 2001)
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Film, 2002)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Film, 2004)
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Film, 2005)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Film, 2007)
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Film, 2009)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (Film, 2010)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (Film, 2011)
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Film, 2016)
  • Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Film, 2018)
  • Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (Film, 2022)

Dark Universe

• The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Film, 1923) (Might not appear in land.)
  • Dracula (Film, 1931) (Monsters Unchained: The Frankenstein Experiment)
  • Frankenstein (Film, 1931) (General land aesthetics, Monsters Unchained: The Frankenstein Experiment)
  • The Mummy (Film, 1931)
  • The Invisible Man (Film, 1933) (Might not appear in land.)
  • Bride of Frankenstein (Film, 1935) (Might not appear in land.)
  • The Wolf Man (Film, 1941) (The Curse of the Werewolf)
  • Phantom of the Opera (Film, 1943) (Might not appear in land.)
  • Creature From The Black Lagoon (Film, 1954)

How to Train Your Dragon: Isle of Berk

• How to Train Your Dragon (Film, 2010) (General land aesthetics)
  • How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Film, 2014) (General land aesthetics, Dragon Racer's Rally)
  • How to Train Your Dragon 3 (Film, 2019)

I think Potter and Dragons are my biggest missing chunks currently, but if you notice anything else please lmk! I'll add to this as I watch/play all of this media for myself and as more details drop about the new park!
How to Train Your Dragon is currently on Amazon Prime and How to Train Your Dragon 2 is currently on Netflix but leaves Netflix on April 30th.

HTTYD3 is the only one I haven't seen, and knowing that the land is set between the two movies I guess I should see it.

Funny how the land is HTTYD 2 1/2-- wasn't the old Shrek attraction Shrek 2 1/2?

HTTYD3 is the only one I haven't seen, and knowing that the land is set between the two movies I guess I should see it.

Funny how the land is HTTYD 2 1/2-- wasn't the old Shrek attraction Shrek 2 1/2?
2.5 was the most logical place to put any theme park land for HTTYD. It gives them the most options.