Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloomberg is now running with the accounting story. And now there’s this new story about a disney instagramer. I swear every time I visit the forum it’s like something even more outrageous than the last pops up. This all seems too coincidental.

I think the first two people coming out has empowered others to speak out with their personal experiences against Disney and those associated with Disney.

This is all weird timing, but I don’t think they’re connected directly. It’s like when one person coming out against Weinstein empowered others to do the same.

Let's try to keep this on topic.

From what I've learned yesterday, it seems like there's truth here, but the sinister espionage angle seems very unlikely, and outright slanderous, a petty attempt to try and malign Iger's legacy. That person being Spirit makes that the most hysterically obvious thing in this specific case.

Everything seems very "focus group"-ish at the moment, which if true, is a shocking implication on how Disney fans have essentially been misled for over a decade into feeding right into a scheme by the company. Having sources is one thing, having them be official and done under direct order is fascinating and makes all of those failed proposals Al would always spit out in the mid-to-late aughts make much more sense. One of them, back in 2005 or 2006 was essentially Al (or Troy?) leaking the news about Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island, and how WDI has chosen to integrate it into the theme. Felt very "let's give them a warning before springing it on them" but thru Lutz's sardonic gaze.

As for why Al returned? Maybe Disney wants to judge feedback on whether or not cutting entertainment was a good idea or not? I'm not sure, but this is all very, verrryyyy interesting indeed.

So i'm slowly making my way through some threads over on Magic and wow it is good and very, VERY interesting how the usual trolls haven't appeared. Ya know, the kind of trolls that many assume are run by people inside of Disney to spread a positive message. Anyway, I was about 90% sure Snyder was Spirit, but then I came upon a post that brought up a quote from him on June 7th, 2012. This is what he had to say:
As someone who has known George personally since his days as EPCOT VP (1995-2000) ... as someone who once took me to dinner (I am sure 31.6% of people here won't believe this, but I don't care ... the truth is the truth) to discuss 'neutralizing' Al ... as someone who was taught quite a lot about being Internet/fanboi savvy by a certain Spirit, I can tell you that I am 99.9% sure that George is leaking whatever he wants through his own channels (not directly, I'm sure).

He is a smart guy and since his first tenure in Anaheim was a disaster that almost cost him his career with Disney (Al Weiss created an opening for him at WDW when Cyn fired him -- and wouldn't even let him show up to the one-year anniversary press conference that announced Bug's Land and ToT were coming) due in no small part to Al's constant criticism of TDA online ... well, he learned his lesson.

It's uncanny how much that aligns almost exactly to part of the Medium article. Any doubt on if it is him is gone now. '74 is either Gary Snyder or Gary's brother Michael Snyder.

Also, has the Snyder's close relationship to CBS been discussed? Interesting timing considering the re-merger with Viacom just happened, which is meant to help compete with Disney on the streaming side.

Crazier: This twitter account came out with all the receipts and tried to out '74 as Mike back in December 2015 when Snyder was writing NYT pieces and the like. But no one paid attention. E Cardon Dead Guy (@ECardonDeadGuy) | Twitter

Then there's this 2006 LA Times story which talks about both Michael and Gary, where they allege they were basically beat up by the Beverly Hills Hotel security, but the story does specifically mention the Snyders living in Florida. Suddenly as I follow this trail it's less and less about Lutz and all about '74...

Last edited:
Somebody said it well on Twitter: this is not about harming Al Lutz, it's about harming Disney's reputation. They have an axe to grind here.
Well, I think Gary/'74 enjoyed taking a good pot shot at Al here as '74 always had a disdain for Lutz. But you're right. This is about going after the machine. The one thing i'm still unclear about is if Lutz was actually writing his own stuff or not, but either way, I think with the article that Lutz just came out with that really framed Chapek in a really negative light, '74 used it as an opportunity to further damage Chapek.

A theory i've heard is that with Iger leaving soon-ish, Chapek was one of the people being groomed for CEO and this article was to basically kill that completely, leaving Disney again without a successor in sight.

A theory i've heard is that with Iger leaving soon-ish, Chapek was one of the people being groomed for CEO and this article was to basically kill that completely, leaving Disney again without a successor in sight.

The Medium article was talking about how they used online boards to do political maneuvers inside Disney as people jockeyed for positions. I’m starting to think that’s what’s going on.

Iger is probably leaving soon and Chapek turned parks into the cash cow that it is now so a little chaos here and there between this and the potential SEC it says to me that either someone to trying to drag Disney down in the mud for gain, whether that’s in the form of shorting the stock, getting someone out of the running in CEO, or keeping the current one there longer.

I don't think that's at all what's going on, at least as in what "CLIO" was used for. From what it sounds like, it was less political and more about focus grouping ideas and trying to bid financing in certain projects from Imagineering. The idea that Lutz was an operative solely to get Eisner ousted is ludicrous, considering how far after that CEO's departure he continued allegedly doing their bidding.

Also the Disney blogosphere is so niche and small that thinking it was a core component of shaking up a multi-billion dollar company is even more absurd.

I don't think that's at all what's going on, at least as in what "CLIO" was used for. From what it sounds like, it was less political and more about focus grouping ideas and trying to bid financing in certain projects from Imagineering. The idea that Lutz was an operative solely to get Eisner ousted is ludicrous, considering how far after that CEO's departure he continued allegedly doing their bidding.
What the article tries to claim is that Lutz was basically our first TRUE shill. A respected figure within the Disney community that was being put to use to get Disney’s messaging out.

But that’s just what the article is trying to allege. Like I said, ‘74 didn’t like Lutz and Al is dealing with cancer right now so he may not even defend himself. What more would ‘74 like than to try to permanently alter people’s view of Lutz and paint him as a shill? It sort of is 74 trying to get in the final word and change Al’s legacy.

That's the difference between the article and possible reality, is what I'm saying. Could Spirit be trying two different angles? Yes, but I feel like he really has a grudge against Disney itself even moreso.

God this dude is a petty little man.

So i'm slowly making my way through some threads over on Magic and wow it is good and very, VERY interesting how the usual trolls haven't appeared. Ya know, the kind of trolls that many assume are run by people inside of Disney to spread a positive message. Anyway, I was about 90% sure Snyder was Spirit, but then I came upon a post that brought up a quote from him on June 7th, 2012. This is what he had to say:

It's uncanny how much that aligns almost exactly to part of the Medium article. Any doubt on if it is him is gone now. '74 is either Gary Snyder or Gary's brother Michael Snyder.

Also, has the Snyder's close relationship to CBS been discussed? Interesting timing considering the re-merger with Viacom just happened, which is meant to help compete with Disney on the streaming side.

Crazier: This twitter account came out with all the receipts and tried to out '74 as Mike back in December 2015 when Snyder was writing NYT pieces and the like. But no one paid attention. E Cardon Dead Guy (@ECardonDeadGuy) | Twitter

Then there's this 2006 LA Times story which talks about both Michael and Gary, where they allege they were basically beat up by the Beverly Hills Hotel security, but the story does specifically mention the Snyders living in Florida. Suddenly as I follow this trail it's less and less about Lutz and all about '74...

He isn't really connected to the CBS side of the family and not expected to get any money from that side. He and Shari Redstone aren't close per his article in LA MAG and it looks like he expected that side of the family to sell off National Amusements now that they merged

I went scorched earth over there.

Suffice it to day, it sounds like the article is accurate; Troy Porter did ghost write for Al, and michechat is in full panic mode to protect their source (now blown) and brand.

Spirit/Snyder is a petty little manchild, but we know that already.

Fun times.

What I find existentially troubling about all this for myself, personally, just as a theme park fan, is that if the intention of Snyder's piece (in addition to attempting to destroy reputations in an almost vindictive way) was to put pressure on Chapek's position... well, I'm in favor of pressure being put on Chapek's position. I want him out of the company. But I don't like that my sympathies align me with the same goal of an article that is otherwise written and constructed in a fairly tasteless and classless way (especially if Snyder is who we think he might be).

What I find existentially troubling about all this for myself, personally, just as a theme park fan, is that if the intention of Snyder's piece (in addition to attempting to destroy reputations in an almost vindictive way) was to put pressure on Chapek's position... well, I'm in favor of pressure being put on Chapek's position. I want him out of the company. But I don't like that my sympathies align me with the same goal of an article that is otherwise written and constructed in a fairly tasteless and classless way (especially if Snyder is who we think he might be).

The ends never justify the means.

Status
Not open for further replies.