Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (movie) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (movie)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I read a ridiculous hypothesis online that suggested Newt Scamander was Buckbeak in animagus form. The weird part was that all the facts matched up. I don't think that's the case, but it's interesting. I'll try to find it.

As long as Chris Columbus stays far away from this project I'll be happy. I would like to see Alfonso Cuaron return.

Last edited:
As long as Chris Columbus stays far away from this project I'll be happy. I would like to see Alfonso Cuaron return.

Agreed and agreed! If Guillermo del Toro would be up for it, I'd rather he direct... but Cuaron would be a wonderful choice as well. Even though they cut out quite a bit from book to movie, PoA is still my favorite movie in the franchise.

Cuaron is a great director, but I don't want him back. Gimme some fresh blood.

I feel that Cuaron was able to capture the Wizarding World the best out of any of the directors and films in the Potter franchise. When I watch PoA I feel like it's the best representation of Jo Rowling's original creation. He really got the spirit of the settings, creatures and characters. I would 100% trust him to do a great job once again. But if del Toro is up for it, that would be so awesome... He does creatures and fantastical worlds SO well.

Who else do you think would be a good candidate?

I feel that Cuaron was able to capture the Wizarding World the best out of any of the directors and films in the Potter franchise. When I watch PoA I feel like it's the best representation of Jo Rowling's original creation. He really got the spirit of the settings, creatures and characters. I would 100% trust him to do a great job once again. But if del Toro is up for it, that would be so awesome... He does creatures and fantastical worlds SO well.

Who else do you think would be a good candidate?

I agree with you completely. I know that a lot of fans hated the Prisoner of Azkaban movie because it cut certain things from the book while adding some non-canon embellishments (the scene with the Gryffindor boys eating magical candy, for example).
But I think Cuaron made a compelling movie while conveying the essence of the books better than Columbus or Yates.

I remember seeing an interview at the time of Cuaron and Rowling. She had said that several of Cuaron's original ideas were so good that she wished she had thought about them herself while writing the book. For example, she loved the way he embodied the 'depressive power' of the Dementors with frost and cold. And she also said she loved the talking head in the Knight Bus.

I agree with you completely. I know that a lot of fans hated the Prisoner of Azkaban movie because it cut certain things from the book while adding some non-canon embellishments (the scene with the Gryffindor boys eating magical candy, for example).
But I think Cuaron made a compelling movie while conveying the essence of the books better than Columbus or Yates.

I remember seeing an interview at the time of Cuaron and Rowling. She had said that several of Cuaron's original ideas were so good that she wished she had thought about them herself while writing the book. For example, she loved the way he embodied the 'depressive power' of the Dementors with frost and cold. And she also said she loved the talking head in the Knight Bus.

I believe allowed to expand on his own visual universe that he would do a tremendous job..
This film is going to have to work hard to impress me...I am a little dragon and mysterious creatured out with all the fantasy movies that have come out within the last 7 years or so...this will no doubt have to be something special..if anyone can do it though it is JK

I wonder how they are going to brand this so that everyone knows that it is Potter related but doesn't lead people to believe that Potter is in it? "The Wizarding World of JKRowling"?

From Mugglenet:

A New York Times profile piece on Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara reveals new details on the upcoming Fantastic Beasts adaptation being penned by J.K. Rowling.

The article gives an in-depth account of the new CEO's work at the helm of Warner Bros., including persuading Rowling to expand the Potter universe by bringing Newt Scamander and Fantastic Beasts into a feature film.

"When I say he made 'Fantastic Beasts' happen, it isn’t P.R.-speak but the literal truth," Rowling told the Times. "We had one dinner, a follow-up telephone call, and then I got out the rough draft that I'd thought was going to be an interesting bit of memorabilia for my kids and started rewriting!"

The article also states that Fantastic Beasts will be more than just one movie, claiming "three megamovies are planned." It continues that Scamander will be the main character, and the film will begin in New York "about seven decades before the arrival of Mr. Potter and his pals."

This is the first major news in the plan for the new film, as far as how many films Warner Bros. plans to make. The article does not directly quote any WB representative, but it does stand pretty firm in the claim. We'll continue to look for updates as they roll out on the new film series.

What do you think of the news? Do you like the choice to make three Fantastic Beasts films?

More news from Mugglenet:

"The release date for the first film in the Fantastic Beasts series has been eagerly anticipated by Harry Potter fans the world over. Warner Bros. announced today that the film will be released in theaters on November 18, 2016.

Interestingly, the first installment of the new series will be released only two days after the 15 year anniversary of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, which landed in U.S. theaters on November 16, 2001.

The film will be set in New York, 70 years before the tale of Harry Potter becomes famous within the wizarding world. Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara, who wooed Rowling back to the film franchise by adapting her 54-page book into a screenplay, stated last September that the new franchise would have the feeling of the previous Harry Potter films. Rowling also stated that the new series, while set within the same world, would not be a prequel or sequel, but rather an extension of the wizarding world.

No word on casting for the series, however. We are still awaiting news on who will play the fictional author and main character of the new films, “magizoologist” Newt Scamander."

Who do you think should play Newt? Benedict Cumberbatch might work or maybe someone completely new.

Casting should be like Potter....All unknowns so the can grow into their characters.

He's not a student, he's in his 20s at the start of the film. So growing up during the trilogy is not a concern.

Also keep in mind that while the students were unknowns in the films, almost every single adult was a famous British actor/actress. Richard Harris, Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham-Carter, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, Michael Gambon, Kenneth Brannagh, David Thewlis, and Julie Walters were all well-known. It wouldn't be out of character of the series to cast a well-known actor (and I think they will). I personally would like Matt Smith. He has the youth and would fit the tone of the universe.

He's not a student, he's in his 20s at the start of the film. So growing up during the trilogy is not a concern.

Also keep in mind that while the students were unknowns in the films, almost every single adult was a famous British actor/actress. Richard Harris, Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham-Carter, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, Michael Gambon, Kenneth Brannagh, David Thewlis, and Julie Walters were all well-known. It wouldn't be out of character of the series to cast a well-known actor (and I think they will). I personally would like Matt Smith. He has the youth and would fit the tone of the universe.

They have to go big or at least someone that will create big buzz. Smith would do that as he's incredibly popular in the geek community.