Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2 | Page 149 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Similarly, for the cars in Radiator Springs Racers, the only projected elements are the eyes, which should be essentially flat (since it is the windshield), so the lack of depth is not jarring.

This isn't true.

0.jpg

I support a bit of your argument... but Buzz was created 14-18 years ago.

That's still a very short amount of time. Full on animatronics with the whole shebang are timeless like practical effects in movies, the haunted mansion looks good today and that's 40 years old. CGI stands out in place of practical effects. For instance in mermaid the Ursula AA will look good forever, it's just so fluid and awesome but the sabastion in the same ride with its obvious glowing screen eyes...stands out like crazy. In 10-15 people will look at that AA and say "woah that's off" I defend CGI when it's done right but it's too obvious to ignore here

That's still a very short amount of time. Full on animatronics with the whole shebang are timeless like practical effects in movies, the haunted mansion looks good today and that's 40 years old. CGI stands out in place of practical effects. For instance in mermaid the Ursula AA will look good forever, it's just so fluid and awesome but the sabastion in the same ride with its obvious glowing screen eyes...stands out like crazy. In 10-15 people will look at that AA and say "woah that's off" I defend CGI when it's done right but it's too obvious to ignore here

Right, this was my point; the projection technique is very old and should only be used in situations where it appears amazing and new.

Yawns... But hey its pretty!

What a surprise, HTF thinks they're lame. Maybe some 50 foot screens in the mine displaying the dwarfs in 3D might have been better. Then we find out we are dwarfs and they are giants.

This was made from someone over at WDW magic. They added the music from the film.
[video=youtube;xFZ1gIYwsLw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZ1gIYwsLw[/video]

Last edited:
The dwarfs faces aren't flat.

I know the faces are not flat. It is clearly an image projected onto a form in the shape of the dwarves' faces. What I mean is that the features within the face that move (cheek muscles, etc) are merely projections, and therefore lack physical depth.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't true.

0.jpg

True, the mouths are projected as well. But the lack of 'depth' is less evident because it is not the entire face that is projected (such as is the case with the dwarves)

Is there anything they could've done with these AAs that would have made you care? Because I highly doubt that. You're stuck in a puddle of your drool somewhere over at Universal.

Well I was actually referring to the structure but nice to see you to NBT lol.

I know the faces are not flat. It is clearly an image projected onto a form in the shape of the dwarves' faces. What I mean is that the features within the face that move (cheek muscles, etc) are merely projections, and therefore lack physical depth.

Oh ok. I see what you mean. I feel like they did a great job making it seem like their is 'depth'. The shadows are there. However, that was just a short clip.

Heres a clip from the movie. They got the idea of the ride vehicle from the mine cart at the beginning.
[video=youtube;695Nnl30VzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=695Nnl30VzM[/video]

I just noticed a cool little detail after watching the movie clip at 1:08. The AA in the beginning has the diamond on his eyes and you see all the eyes blink on the AA, just like in the film. I didnt notice it the first time.

Last edited:
Oh ok. I see what you mean. From that short clip, I feel like they did a great job making it seem like their was depth. The shadows are there.

Heres a clip from the movie. They got the idea of the ride vehicle from the mine cart at the beginning.
[video=youtube;695Nnl30VzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=695Nnl30VzM[/video]

All in all, I think the projected faces look pretty cool. They are certainly more expressive than a lot of the other animatronic and robotic characters in Fantasyland rides, and will do fine in this ride. I also like the way they matched the projected 'shadows' on the face with the real projected light sources (such as the flickering lantern light matching up with the shadows on Grumpy's face).

But I was trying to point out that I don't think the combination of projection effects and animatronics here reached the level of 'magic' they achieved with some of their other 'mixed-media' creations.

For example, with Lumiere, my mind never thinks there is something a bit 'off' while I am looking at him. It truly looks like he has come to life in three dimensions before me. Same thing even applies to the Wardrobe. Her projected eyes mixed with the animatronic face creates a remarkably 'real' illusion.

In the case of the dwarves, I simply think it's not quite as perfect a union for the reasons I said before.

Reactions: Miketheboss
Well I was actually referring to the structure but nice to see you to NBT lol.
The general structure of the AAs? I guess that's your opinion. I think they look fine. What don't you like about them? Nice to see you back though, seriously. We just disagree on some things. I just feel you've become almost the Universal version of Lou Mongello. Everything is awesome at Universal and whenever there is a WDW conversation, you almost never say anything positive. Not that WDW is in the best shape right now (actually far from it), but it's not all doom and gloom either.

and those saying they could get dated... it's projection. Projection can ALWAYS be updated. Or they could simply replace them with traditional AAs down the line if they look so out of place 10 years from now.

The general structure of the AAs? I guess that's your opinion. I think they look fine. What don't you like about them? Nice to see you back though, seriously. We just disagree on some things. I just feel you've become almost the Universal version of Lou Mongello. Everything is awesome at Universal and whenever there is a WDW conversation, you almost never say anything positive. Not that WDW is in the best shape right now (actually far from it), but it's not all doom and gloom either.

and those saying they could get dated... it's projection. Projection can ALWAYS be updated. Or they could simply replace them with traditional AAs down the line if they look so out of place 10 years from now.

No I was referring to the mountain structure of the ride and wasn't referring to anything in regards to the AA's. I actually hadn't seen them until that vid was posted. Since were talking about the AA's I don't "love" them but still think they look pretty damn good. I'll reserve complete judgement until I ride this but if they are on the same level of those found in RSR's then it will be impressive. The mouth movements of the AA's on RSR's alone are very impressive.

As for the Universal bias, sure it's there but they are FAR from perfect and I know that. They tend to cut corners in theming, story, and execution sometimes. They also forgot how to build attractions that don't require screens to tell the story. But in the end their approach to attractions and the franchises they use appeal to me much more. I'll also say this, if you had Universal Orlando and DLR in my back yard vs WDW and UO it be a little bit of a different story. :wave:

Was at MK today and I went to watch the mine train cycle. I watched it twice over by the brakes (by the carousel) with some people riding it. Then I went to the bridge to watch it. I was on the left side of the bridge by Gaston's and I noticed that you can see into the cottage. (I think)

I didn't bring my actual camera so I had to zoom in with my iPhone. But to my naked eye it did look like figure between the tree and wood support. It wasn't moving, but I figured it would be triggered by a train moving past that section. I waited for another train to cycle through while I was at my new vantage, but alas, they stopped. I stood their for a while (I'm basically positive it is at least part of a show scene because after some time the rose colored lights shut off and some work lights came on). Also, through the tress to the left (in the image) I could see a repetitive moving object moving up and down. That also stopped when the work lights came on. Later at night, the trains started cycling again but the work lights were still on so I think the effects were shut off. So I have someone goes to the park with a camera you should check it out.

No I was referring to the mountain structure of the ride and wasn't referring to anything in regards to the AA's. I actually hadn't seen them until that vid was posted. Since were talking about the AA's I don't "love" them but still think they look pretty damn good. I'll reserve complete judgement until I ride this but if they are on the same level of those found in RSR's then it will be impressive. The mouth movements of the AA's on RSR's alone are very impressive.

As for the Universal bias, sure it's there but they are FAR from perfect and I know that. They tend to cut corners in theming, story, and execution sometimes. They also forgot how to build attractions that don't require screens to tell the story. But in the end their approach to attractions and the franchises they use appeal to me much more. I'll also say this, if you had Universal Orlando and DLR in my back yard vs WDW and UO it be a little bit of a different story. :wave:
That would be a really tough choice for me honestly. Right now I think both of DLR's parks are much better overall than both of UOR's, but DLR isn't building anything right now either. In a few years I think UOR will be a much more complete all around resort.

Also, even if they are on the level of RSR, I don't think they'll be as impressive. One of the main reasons they are so impressive is because it's an inanimate object and it looks so real. I think the Lumiere AA is more comparable.

Last edited:
I don't think the projected faces are as seamless as they should be. They are pretty obvious. But I believe that the final tweaking of the show lighting will help with that.