Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion | Page 335 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The most tone-deaf and scary part of all of this is that the decision to remove 3D from the ride was made in some ridiculous last-minute attempt to "fix" the issue of having too many 3D attractions in a row. The ride was designed for 3D and they removed it without making any other changes to compensate for it all because they wanted to pretend the ride was something different than it is on the park map by not having to put the 3D glasses logo next to it. Meanwhile, there are portions of the ride film that are clearly SUPPOSED to be viewed in 3D which end up looking even worse in 2D. How were so many poor decisions made in a row here?

Executive#1: "People are sick of 3D rides so let's build a clone of a 3D ride that no one likes but... wait for it... we'll just turn off the 3D effects!"
Executive #2: "Great idea!!!! People aren't sick of screens, they are just sick of putting on glasses... right?"
Executive #3: "Can we also make sure the musion scene is left unchanged? People really thought it was terrible and corny to begin with so I'd like to keep that as-is, please. Just make sure to overdub the audio so it doesn't match the lips on the FBI agent. We want this to be as low-rent as possible.
Universal Creative: You got it! It will take us over 2 years to build this masterpiece and it will take up acres of valuable land. We'll also build the largest queue ever conceived but then also add a virtual queue because reasons.
I always feel that if a ride is predominantly screens, then you might as well go for 3D, since the 3D adds depth and makes it more than just sitting in front of a screen. I know some say 3D is common now because of 3D cinema, but 3d cinema is more of an atmospheric depth thing, rather than stuff really popping in your eye. Which is why I like Spiderman and Transformers, 3D that really gets close to you.

I heard this attraction was originally supposed to be a roller coaster/slot car but Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson stepped in and wanted it to be a party bus. People who don’t have the creative experience shouldn’t be making crucial decisions.
Unfortunately we can't blame this atrocity on the Rock. Even he probably knew this was a bad idea along with every person who follows the industry. Universal executives wanted it built with this ride system. Why Universal Creative didn't at least attempt to make inexpensive changes to things like the pacing of the Musion scene or an improved musical score in the 360 scene I'm not sure. It's almost like they built it unchanged as some sort of protest to having to build it at all. "You want this crap built? You got it! We'll spend millions on the largest queue known to man and then keep the ride as lame as possible."

Reactions: tankart150
Was it originally planned to be a coaster or slot car?
No and the irony is, if they went with a cheap, off the shelf indoor coaster in a box with some strobe lights and loud sounds ala Rock N' Roller Coaster it would have cost half as much as this and it would have received more positive reactions. Heck, a wild mouse coaster enclosed in a building like the Dark Knight at Six Flags would be more fun and have less backlash than this. It's a comical executive blunder on the scale of building Superstar Limo except with a much larger budget and taking up 4 times the space.

No and the irony is, if they went with a cheap, off the shelf indoor coaster in a box with some strobe lights and loud sounds ala Rock N' Roller Coaster it would have cost half as much as this and it would have received more positive reactions. Heck, a wild mouse coaster enclosed in a building like the Dark Knight at Six Flags would be more fun and have less backlash than this. It's a comical executive blunder on the scale of building Superstar Limo except with a much larger budget and taking up 4 times the space.
I agree, definitely Universal’s version of Superstar Limo :)

I'm reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and wow....they're bad. Universal Guest relations is on top of it by replying to everyone, they're definitely feeling the heat.

A good company will respond to the criticism. I don't care if a company makes a mistake, we all do. How they react to the mistake tells me more about the company than anything.

I have a feeling after the official media event on the 2nd, the negativity will actually increase. I wonder if any major news sources will begin reporting on the poor responses from guests or maybe just flat-out give it a terrible review come May 3rd. It should be interesting.

Reactions: tankart150
I have a feeling after the official media event on the 2nd, the negativity will actually increase. I wonder if any major news sources will begin reporting on the poor responses from guests or maybe just flat-out give it a terrible review come May 3rd. It should be interesting.
Yes, it should be interesting . The review I want to see is the one from Robert Niles of Theme Park Insider. He was kind of gushing over F&F when it opened in Hollywood. Very positive review. So that should be telling to see if he stays in the corporate graces or not. :lol: A lot of these invited media are kind of like pigs at the feeding trough. If the freebies are there, sometimes they don't want to jeopardize their future invites. Now if those free benefits people say it's bad, then you know it's "really really bad". :puke:

Lest we forget all the negative reviews for Volcano Bay/Media Coverage when it first opened... At least Volcano Bay improved I guess... Unsure if this will.

Lest we forget all the negative reviews for Volcano Bay/Media Coverage when it first opened... At least Volcano Bay improved I guess... Unsure if this will.

Volcano Bay is nothing like F&F though, especially when we're talking about a themed attraction. F&F could have been a potential to make an attraction similar to Kongfrontation and other practical effect-like rides such as Test Track.

Volcano Bay is nothing like F&F though, especially when we're talking about a themed attraction. F&F could have been a potential to make an attraction similar to Kongfrontation and other practical effect-like rides such as Test Track.

Oh for sure... I'm just remember all the terrible reviews come in first, then people eventually bury them with nice ones. Wondering if that'll happen again or if F&F will maintain the negative reviews.

Volcano Bay was rushed to open. It had some growing pains and crowded issues. It also had a learning curve with Tapu Tapu. Fast and Furious is about as good as it's going to get without a renovation.

I think it's biggest problem is a matter of expectations. When you are on a tram tour and going to The Fast and Furious portion you know you're on a tram tour. When you walk up to a new ride called supercharged you don't expect a slow-moving party bus.

This is so spot on. A simple indoor launch coaster with minimal effects would have done wonders.