Forbidden Journey Refurbishment (Update: Early Dec) | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Forbidden Journey Refurbishment (Update: Early Dec)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got busy. :look:
Oh, I didn't know that was you. Small world. I was reading it regularly when you guys first started posting & greatly enjoyed the info. I would check the site every now and then, and even asked on here what had happened, when the postings stopped. I read Inside Universal sometimes, but their forums are pretty insignificant. It seems like OU is really the only Universal related forum that has significant participation.:) TPI forums are dead, so what little Universal discussion that went on over there is long gone. And there's a tiny bit on Magic, which is really a Disney site. That's about it for Universal it seems. :(

Reactions: Mike S
Oh, I didn't know that was you. Small world. I was reading it regularly when you guys first started posting & greatly enjoyed the info. I would check the site every now and then, and even asked on here what had happened, when the postings stopped. I read Inside Universal sometimes, but their forums are pretty insignificant. It seems like OU is really the only Universal related forum that has significant participation.:) TPI forums are dead, so what little Universal discussion that went on over there is long gone. And there's a tiny bit on Magic, which is really a Disney site. That's about it for Universal it seems. :(

This probably isn't the best forum (no pun intended) to go into it in detail, but the bottom line was Taylor and I were really passionate about building a trip planning-focused website for USH, much in the way OI arguably became the go-to vacation planner for Orlando. Some sites... didn't like that, but what can you do.

The reality is, this was an incredibly significant undertaking to build a foundation from the ground-up (the original OI infrastructure was put together over many years by Dan Hatfield). I did everything I could to get the site ready in time for our launch, but the reality was I was one guy finishing up school, new to Los Angeles, and working two Hollywood internships. It also got to the point where I was doing work for Blumhouse, which obviously harbors very close ties to Uni through their first look deal. At the end of the day, it just didn't make sense for me or the site to continue running it as-is. I couldn't give it the attention it needed, and Taylor needed to focus on growing OI.

Taylor is a fantastic administrator/business owner and friend, and I really loved working with him on the site. I know he's very interested in pursuing CI going forward, especially as the park expands... Maybe I'll be a part of that, maybe I won't. I'm now doing a lot of work in the industry, which makes a stake in that complicated depending on what company I'm working for. (Immediate work during HHN was pretty impossible, as I took a role in the American Horror Story maze. That's one off the bucket list!)

Last edited:
anyone have a pic of where/how they're closing off the castle? very interested since I've never seen this happen

You are going up the regular line, through the greenhouse, and when you get to the Gryffindor Common Room, you make a U-Turn into this emergency exit which spits you out in the alternate portrait gallery (from Castle Tour only line) and you go backwards down the stairs out to the gift shop.

You are going up the regular line, through the greenhouse, and when you get to the Gryffindor Common Room, you make a U-Turn into this emergency exit which spits you out in the alternate portrait gallery (from Castle Tour only line) and you go backwards down the stairs out to the gift shop.
I never knew that was supposed to be Gryffindor's Common Room, I had to look up what you were talking about. Out of how many times I've been on the ride, I just never put 2&2 together that's what it was. you learn something everyday

This probably isn't the best forum (no pun intended) to go into it in detail, but the bottom line was Taylor and I were really passionate about building a trip planning-focused website for USH, much in the way OI arguably became the go-to vacation planner for Orlando. Some sites... didn't like that, but what can you do.

The reality is, this was an incredibly significant undertaking to build a foundation from the ground-up (the original OI infrastructure was put together over many years by Dan Hatfield). I did everything I could to get the site ready in time for our launch, but the reality was I was one guy finishing up school, new to Los Angeles, and working two Hollywood internships. It also got to the point where I was doing work for Blumhouse, which obviously harbors very close ties to Uni through their first look deal. At the end of the day, it just didn't make sense for me or the site to continue running it as-is. I couldn't give it the attention it needed, and Taylor needed to focus on growing OI.

Taylor is a fantastic administrator/business owner and friend, and I really loved working with him on the site. I know he's very interested in pursuing CI going forward, especially as the park expands... Maybe I'll be a part of that, maybe I won't. I'm now doing a lot of work in the industry, which makes a stake in that complicated depending on what company I'm working for. (Immediate work during HHN was pretty impossible, as I took a role in the American Horror Story maze. That's one off the bucket list!)
I give you big time credit for all of your efforts. It's good to have your expertise and knowledge on this forum. :cheers::thumbsup:

Reactions: anihilnation
Ick, I can see why they're doing regular queue for castle tour and using 2nd gallery to exit - to avoid the ride area entirely - but you see the portrait gallery twice.

What they should do is use single rider to exit, but then they have to cross those two lines coming and going or let one side exit at the front door.

Ick, I can see why they're doing regular queue for castle tour and using 2nd gallery to exit - to avoid the ride area entirely - but you see the portrait gallery twice.

What they should do is use single rider to exit, but then they have to cross those two lines coming and going or let one side exit at the front door.

If they're doing the castle tour that doesn't give me hope they're going to refurbish Dumbledore....

I give you big time credit for all of your efforts. It's good to have your expertise and knowledge on this forum. :cheers::thumbsup:

Thanks, man. Happy to engage on all fronts in the theme park space (including those I don't always agree with, this site included), though I'm generally considered a footnote when it comes to community awareness. I keep to the periphery and try and do a lot of listening.

Reactions: Mad Dog and WAJAS
Heading out to the parks on fri, obviously disappointed about the refurb but oh well! A tour would be awesome, I hope they're giving them this weekend.

Are castle tours trucking through? Are there any visible changes? Scaffold? Walls? Equipment beeping?

Heading out to the parks on fri, obviously disappointed about the refurb but oh well! A tour would be awesome, I hope they're giving them this weekend.

posted on the UOAP Facebook group 12 hours ago, so it seems like the castle tour is still happening:

ss 2016-12-06 at 10.25.12 AM.jpg

Attachments

• ss 2016-12-06 at 10.25.12 AM.jpg
    ss 2016-12-06 at 10.25.12 AM.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2
Since they dropped 3D in Hollywood, and are not going to add it in Orlando, they should do some other kind of refresh/upgrade to the ride. Any ideas?

I think they should animate Aragog. And improve the whomping willow and Dementor scenes.

Reactions: tankart150
Status
Not open for further replies.