Forbidden Journey Wheelchair Review | Inside Universal Forums

Forbidden Journey Wheelchair Review

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 20, 2010
Central Florida
Ok I know that there is a review thread for the ride already and some people have talked about seeing the disability access entrance to FJ, but I thought I would post a full review about going through the attraction (queue and load) form the standpoint of a guest whom is wheelchair bound.

First off, I can only walk short distances due to my disability which means that since I have become disabled, i have not been on a theme park attraction that requires a transfer. This stinks for me as I am a avid park fan, so not being able to get on and off of a ride vehicle without major disconfort to me made me just ignore the rides for almost 4 years.

Now I love Harry Potter, in fact I read all 7 boks numerous times ect. ect. So joy when I was able to visit WWOHP repeatedly over the past few months, but never venturing inside Hogwarts castle because of my limitations. On my last visit, I was with a few family members whom have ridden before and they told me I could go through the castle and then exit before the ride. Cool.

Now the oly bad part of this was the ramps on the greenhouse but they were not that bad. The castle is amazing and im not goin to go into to detail but as some others on this board would say as I walked through it, I died.

Then came the most awesome part of the past 4 years. Instead of exiting, the attraction host explained that there is a platform where i can take my time loading onto the ride. I explained my disability to them and asked if they thought i could handle the attraction. In my case they said I would be fine.

So now im on a elevator, heading down a upstairs hallway in a acstle. Down another elevator to a ride platform with one magical flying bench waiting for me.

Now this is why I posted this, so guest with disabilities like me are able to undertsand. They let you bring the wheelchair right up to the ride car for load and unload. After a quick pop out of my chair the attendant fastend me in and I was off for my first ride in four years. Upon returning to the platform tears of joy streamed down my face. The attedant made my day and said since no one was waiting, he didnt even release the shoulder bars and I was once again off into the world of Harry Potter.

Univeral did a amazing job by adding this platform so that guest with disabilities do not have to worry about holding up the ride for others, or how long it will take them to transfer ect. Kudos to Universal for making this guest the happiest man on the planet for 15 minutes. I know when I return to WWOHP I will ride FJ once again.

If I posted this incorrectly I apologize, it is just the fact that my excitement has overtaken me at the moment. Thanks

Wow, that's a great story. I had no idea there was a seperate bay for wheelchair access. I'm glad you had such a positive experience. Thanks for sharing!

Amazing story! It's very nice to see Team Members treat guests, especially in wheelchairs, in such a great, positive manner.

So happy you had a great experience and kudos to Universal for upping the customer service aspect for someone who truly appreciated it.

Is this special access available to all people who travel with someone in a wheelchair? Thanks, Sorli...

Thank you for posting this! My dad is disabled from surgery last year, its fantastic to know he can still ride his favorite ride! I have one question though, can you still go through the castle in the regular line before you go to the separate loading station? Since my dad is such an avid fan of the series, he likes the line as much as he likes the ride itself. Thanks again for posting!

Great question and I would also like to know if the whole ride can be viewed and enjoyed from a wheelchair?

My wife (who also has limited mobility and needs this support) and I are huge fans of HP series and movies and the audio books are wonderful and even better being read by Jim Dale.

Either way, I'd love to check the whole ride and then just get off with my wife to use the easy access portal for those in Wheelchairs. Not sure how this works and hopefully someone jumps in (rides in more appropriate) before we head out next week. Thanks, Sorli...

To those who asked- any guest has the ability to go to the Secondary Loading Platform; in fact if you are in a wheelchair or using a cane you are required to board there.

You can definitely see the castle first. Guests who need the Secondary platform are only directed there once they get to the TM's in the Gryffindor Common Room.

Sorli, the ride cannot be seen at all from a wheelchair.. anyone who wishes to ride must be able to transfer out of their chair and into the ride vehicle.

To those who asked- any guest has the ability to go to the Secondary Loading Platform; in fact if you are in a wheelchair or using a cane you are required to board there.

You can definitely see the castle first. Guests who need the Secondary platform are only directed there once they get to the TM's in the Gryffindor Common Room.

Sorli, the ride cannot be seen at all from a wheelchair.. anyone who wishes to ride must be able to transfer out of their chair and into the ride vehicle.

Wow and thanks for the quick answer and update on our question. Your notes will be very handy and great to know. Thankfully my wife is only recovering from a knee injury that occured years ago and troubled by all the walking in theme parks. This will be a huge blessing and allow us to both enjoy HP ride and then board the cart at the easy access location.

Thanks again, Sorli...

Thank you! This is great, it's getting my dad excited for something!

Also, do you know if any other rides have this?

Thank you! This is great, it's getting my dad excited for something!

Also, do you know if any other rides have this?

Actually, that is also a great question!

Yes I'd also love to know where else this option is available at IoA or US? Thanks, Sorli...

From Universal's ADA Info Page:

Services for Guests using Wheelchairs

For your enjoyment and convenience, Universal Orlando's shopping and dining facilities are wheelchair accessible. Also, our outdoor stage shows have areas reserved for guests with disabilities. These areas are clearly marked with the International Symbol of Accessibility.

In addition, all the queues are accessible to guests using wheelchairs (with the exception of Pteranodon Flyers® at Universal's Islands of Adventure). There are specific boarding requirements and accommodations for those using wheelchairs at each attraction. In all cases, if you are capable of transferring to the ride vehicle's seating (either by yourself or with the assistance of another person in your party), you may transfer.

Additionally, certain attractions are capable of allowing guests to remain in their standard wheelchair throughout. For a list of all attractions and their specific requirements and accommodations, please consult Universal Orlando's Rider's Guide for Rider Safety and Guests with Disabilities.

NOTE: We apologize, but due to their dramatic motion, none of the ride vehicles at Universal Orlando will accommodate Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECV's) or electric wheelchairs. At those rides which can accommodate standard wheelchairs, guests may transfer from their ECV or electric wheelchair into a standard wheelchair, which can be provided at each location.

The Rider's Guide has even more helpful information: http://www.universalorlando.com/Images/RidersGuideUpdateFlyer_tcm13-10940.pdf

I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience. Its always nice when the Team Members are so understanding and give you memories like this.

As for HPFJ's secondary station, from what I understand guest's occasionally get pulled into usually towards the end of the night and they'll sometimes grabbed single riders if you're lucky, but there's no way of requesting it unless you have that wheelchair or can't handle the moving belts.

But HPFJ is the only ride at Universal with its own loading station, but its that way only because the ride system never stops moving. RockIt however will stop the belts for people with wheelchairs and who can't handle the belts. They just bring you up the unload side and then find a spot for you, then they stop the platform.