Forum Upgrade Downtime | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Forum Upgrade Downtime

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not seeing any ads, but maybe because I use an adblocker on my browser?

This was certainly a surprise out of left field! While echo the sentiments of dark mode returning (which you already said is in the works), and possibly slightly larger avatars, I don't mind the hexgons. It'll be fun to take a look around!

On my mobile device, tweets and videos don't appear for whatever reason.

Edit: Scratch that. It appears that they don't show up on laptops either...

Reactions: WAJAS
I know these will probably happen eventually but I would love to have larger avatars and the IU personalized art on all of the Subforums again a la the Castle on WDW, Shamu on Seaworld parks, the Logo Numbers for HHN. It's a little thing but it just gives the forum a little bit more life.

I have removed the ads as they were causing inconveniences to the user experience.

Everything else, you gotta give me time.

Some things you loved about the old site may be gone, or it may not be. I'm going to try my best to bring everything back. The reason for the upgrades was all the backend stuff. We hadn't updated the forum software for 5 years, using version 1.5; and that version was about to reach End of Life support. It was time to catch up. We could only leave it as is for so long.

I just want to make sure I’m not coming across as whiny. I know this is for the better, and the responses are merely to make sure you are aware of the growing pains.

On that note, the best thing I’ve noticed so far is different reactions we can now do to posts. Now we won’t be confused whether someone likes the content or the post itself.

The future is bright for IU (OU)!!

Is there a way to make new posts stand out more. Its hard to see the difference when I use "watched threads" -- the bold isn't really very bold

Reactions: Journey_On
I do actually really like the new site design, especially on mobile. I will miss the old layout but if it's what has to be done then this is the best outcome of that. Thanks Brian and Co.!

Reactions: Darko
Sure. Can’t promise anything but at least I can see

I was going to say I wasn’t a fan of the new alert location but the new table has appeared at the bottom on mobile.

Twitter links were showing small thumbnails instead of the bigger photos like before but it’s not really a big deal.

First impressions are good though. I don’t think the old design was dated and still looked good but this is an improvement, no doubt about it.

Mobile in particular seems improved, selecting text is far easier than before.

Reactions: Darko
1. Avatars are back to squares.
2. Icons are back (save for HHN)
3. Ads shouldn't be as obnoxious.
4. Links to Tweets, YouTube videos and others should be back to normal.

Still working on other things, including Dark Mode.
Like this? Thanks Brian

Attachments

• ui new.JPG
    ui new.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 20
Everything is looking nice, the only thing I have to add here is about the automerge feature. On one hand, I really like this as a mod, but it does hamper the experience in some ways because if a thread has sat dormant and you were the last person to post in it, it will still automerge and it then doesn't show up in the new posts section. This happened to me when I was trying to post in a thread that I happened to be the last poster in, but there was no posts in the thread for over a month. Is there a way you can set a time when the automerge is active and after that it allows for new posts from anyone?

Reactions: Parkscope Joe