Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Frozen II

Just got back from seeing it for the 2nd time! Really love this film. The only thing I feel is lacking from the first one is the music but other then that the visuals and storytelling this movie brings blows my mind. It seriously has some show showstopping scenes. 9/10 for me

I'm a big fan of the original--even have a mini-Elsa shrine in my office. So I was excited to catch this over the weekend.

What a disaster. A mash-up of way too many anachronistic jokes, clumsy exposition dumps, and some after-school special level sociopolitics. Despite being convoluted the story is still far too predictable (one of the highlights of my second viewing of the original was the gasp across the theater when Hans did his heel turn--a genuine shocker when the movie came out). The songs range from pedestrian to an odd 80s-esque tune that feels almost like parody. In fact, there are a couple moments where the film takes subtle, eye-rolling shots at the first film -- like the creative team had to make this while being held hostage. The animation is beautiful but this lacks the heart of the original. If you have kids I realize you're stuck seeing this, but otherwise, wait for Disney+.

While I am not as down on it as you are, I 100% agree with this. It’s fine and entertaining enough but it just seems forced and predictable. I’m also confused as who it’s aimed at. We joked that it’s the kids movie not actually for kids but for Instagramming millennials. A lot of the film also felt like borrowed parts of other films. Part Moana, Part Fifth Element (or Last Airbender), with a little LotR sprinkled in.

Olaf was the highlight, with the bromance between Kristoff and Sven following behind.

That was a mess. A solid act one and platform to expand the world completely botched by middling plotting afraid to commit to anything meaningful. The sociopolitical elements had real potential to become something interesting about reckoning with the sins of our ancestors, but the film discards them as soon as they're introduced, leading to a completely muddled and aimless Act 2 (with a resulting generic, unearned, and consequence-free Act 3). Nothing is driving the action. Nothing is ever actually resolved. No one has an actual character arc.

Into the Unknown is a banger... but everything else was pretty rough. Olaf had some great one liners, though, and arguably had the only thing even slightly resembling an arc that built off the first film.

I really hate Into the Unknown....Show yourself for me is a much better song. But let me put it all and all Into the Unknown also isn't Let it Go.

I think there was a lot of stuff the writers wanted to do with this film but unfortunately Disney didn't commit to anything due to possible censor/political pressures to make a non offensive film.

ive never seen a kids movie that kids hated this much.It has 11 full length songs and a couple short ones in a hour and a half movie.
Not surprising given they managed to squeeze 3-4 songs into the 17 minute "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" that played before Coco (which was a disaster in itself) a few years ago. However, the amount of songs is fairly standard for musicals.

So saw this last night....The first movie my daughter saw in the theater was Frozen.... and we all loved it at the time.

This was..uhh..something else. The story was aimless, the music fell flat. It's hard to believe the same team of people worked on this movie.

Completely forgettable.

Looks like word of mouth has caught up with this film. It's still in a ton of theaters but receipts per screen aren't very good, and haven't been good for the past week or two.

Looks like word of mouth has caught up with this film. It's still in a ton of theaters but receipts per screen aren't very good, and haven't been good for the past week or two.
I’ve noticed that, but it also just passed $1B and should still be going pretty good through the holidays.

No, it’s mostly bc no big movie has come out during its run until this weekend with Jumanji.
That's not what I'm saying. The present numbers for Frozen are where they are primarily because they are still controlling over 4,200 screens. The film started strong but has really dropped as word of mouth has largely been unfavorable. Those are some pretty low per screen numbers for a highly anticipated film that's only been out there three or so weeks with little competition in it's genre. The big numbers came at the front end and have dropped more than the norm (per screen wise).

That's not what I'm saying. The present numbers for Frozen are where they are primarily because they are still controlling over 4,200 screens. The film started strong but has really dropped as word of mouth has largely been unfavorable. Those are some pretty low per screen numbers for a highly anticipated film that's only been out there three or so weeks with little competition in it's genre. The big numbers came at the front end and have dropped more than the norm (per screen wise).

when we went last Sunday, there were 3 other people in the entire theater. Rewind to the first frozen, we saw about 3 weeks after release, and the theater was packed.
It will still make plenty of money, but it’s definitely not the phenom the first film was. If you remember Disney even released a sing a long version of the film, the music was so popular.

when we went last Sunday, there were 3 other people in the entire theater. Rewind to the first frozen, we saw about 3 weeks after release, and the theater was packed.
It will still make plenty of money, but it’s definitely not the phenom the first film was. If you remember Disney even released a sing a long version of the film, the music was so popular.
Yes. Exactly what I was talking about. :thumbsup:

I saw this a couple weeks ago.

It wasn’t as good as the first one, but it was decent. The movie was hilarious. Everything Olaf said was fire and Kristoff’s song put our theater in cheers. Way funnier than I expected. My theater was clearly mostly adults and there was a couple jokes that elicited applause.

The music is weaker than the first movie but it’s grown on me. The Panic! at the Disco cover of “Into the Unknown” slaps.

The plot was both forgettable and confusing. Way too much plot for such a short movie. The film clearly went through a lot of rewrites.