Fun Spot Expansion | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Fun Spot Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah I'm gonna need a better review than that Mike :lol:

Was it as quick thru the course as the video makes it out to be? Looks like it Flys with some great air time

It is just about as fast as it seems, except for the large turns, but that may be because they tested with "loaded" trains and mine just had 5 people on it.

Yeah I'm gonna need a better review than that Mike :lol:

If you want a hill by hill/turn review, you're gonna have to let me have my marathon day. :lol: ;)

But seriously, you get a good pop of air going down the drop even in the first row, love how tight the drop turn is as well. That double up and down on the same hill looks better than it is, but you still get some good air on the first up and second down in the front. The rest of the ride is basically a decently paced romp to the station with the large turnaround that may cause issues in the future if they aren't careful (firsthand knowledge with Mean Streak's biggest problem, related largely to speed through the turns, its actually too slow). You get a few more good pops of air on the return trip. It is definitely a family friendly coaster, but there's enough for even a more intense focused enthusiast like me to keep me coming back. The only negative is the price ($9 for a single ride), but if we still paid by ride at bigger parks you would see prices as much or more for a single ride.

The only negative is the price ($9 for a single ride), but if we still paid by ride at bigger parks you would see prices as much or more for a single ride.

Eek! :jaw:

I get the big park agrugment, but it still won't sit well with me since I can go ride the Phoenix at Knoebels for $2.50 :lol:

Good review. I plopped down the money for an annual pass, glad I did. Great addition to Orlando. Typical GCI....fast paced, quick direction changes, quick pops of air. The turn around was the surprise for me. It does seem a tad slow on the 90 degree bank, as it feels like you are being dumped out of your seat....then the train quickly regains speed as it heads towards the station. I really liked that though! Definitely looking forward to some more rides!

- Todd

I really hope that they took the speed and subsequent shuffling through that turn into consideration with the design and maintenance needs. Shuffling through a turn wreaks havoc on the trains, track, and structure. Case in point, Mean Streak.

I really hope that they took the speed and subsequent shuffling through that turn into consideration with the design and maintenance needs. Shuffling through a turn wreaks havoc on the trains, track, and structure. Case in point, Mean Streak.

But also Mean Streak is all wood so you think with this being steel supports would help prevent that from happening?

$119 for an AP seems a bit steep, you can get an AP to any Six Flags Park for about $79. And as much as we bust on Six Flags, they are still better parks than Fun Spot. That said, I'll probably be getting the for the 3 of us.

- - - Updated - - -

But also Mean Streak is all wood so you think with this being steel supports would help prevent that from happening?
I do believe that is the reason they went with a Steel/Wood Hybrid. Less of a maintenance nightmare.

To elaborate on my previous post I'll give you my play by play review.

Loading: the ride ops are still learning, but the dispatches were still faster than Gwazi. The place was extremely dead Tuesday so I can't say what kind of lines they might get for this ride.
Trains: Comfortable, single seat-belt for both riders, tight lap bar
First Drop: feels much faster than you would expect for the height!
First turn: Awesome!
Double up & down: you get a nice pop in the first up, floater air at the crest, and a great pop of air on the 2nd down
Turnaround: very unique feeling; made me feel like I was going to be tossed out the side. I would compare it to the "crowd surfer" on HRRR
Return trip: lots of nice moments of airtime, but nothing crazy. I had a big smile on my face the whole way back though
Brakes: Extremely smooth

Overall this is a great ride. Accessible to all ages, but fun enough that I could see myself marathoning it if I purchased the wristband. I would love an annual pass to go ride whenever I want, but can't justify the price as it would pretty much just be for White Lightning. The flat rides aren't for me and the Go-Karts aren't something I need to do on a regular basis.

$119 for an AP seems a bit steep, you can get an AP to any Six Flags Park for about $79. And as much as we bust on Six Flags, they are still better parks than Fun Spot. That said, I'll probably be getting the for the 3 of us.

That's a bit much. I'll probably be rocking armbands a few times a year. I already have APs to UOR, SWO and BGT, so I probably won't be going to Fun Spot that frequently to justify $120.

That's a bit much. I'll probably be rocking armbands a few times a year. I already have APs to UOR, SWO and BGT, so I probably won't be going to Fun Spot that frequently to justify $120.

Well, keep in mind that unlimited armbands are $39.95....so if you are going to be rocking those arm bands more than twice in a year then you may as well go for a pass and ride as often as you want! :)

- Todd

Well, keep in mind that unlimited armbands are $39.95....so if you are going to be rocking those arm bands more than twice in a year then you may as well go for a pass and ride as often as you want! :)

- Todd

That's a good point, but I thought they were cheaper than that. Or maybe it's just a special offer I heard about. I think it was something like $15 if you buy them between 10am and noon :shrug:

Took a spin on White Lightning today and loved it. For those who are used to getting your butt kicked by Gwazi this is an example of what a wooden roller coaster can be like. No topper track or iron horse crap, just you and the traditional wooden coaster (with steel supports :look:) Seriously though, just a fun little coaster with great little pops of airtime the whole way through. I rode in the front and in the back and I much prefer the whipping around of the back. The first drop from the front is what makes it.

The entire expansion is great and really is a nice little addition to the Central Florida line up. Next time I head out there I'll make sure I take a spin on freedom flyer. I noticed team TPR was riding one train for photos so if you see yourself holler! On to the photos!

Great pics HTF, can def see a difference in quality in your new camera versus older one :thumbs:

Anyone know if they allow on ride photo taking while on White Lightning?

Great pics HTF, can def see a difference in quality in your new camera versus older one :thumbs:

My gut feeling is no. The risk of people hitting themselves with their own cameras or hitting others would be to high and raise their insurance rates.

Thanks I notice it with the colors for sure :thumbs: