Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 63 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
opposite for me, if its above 30 minutes I'll just walk. although I'd say its in the D range since my wait cut off time is 30 min
Thats generous. Mines is about 15 lol.
if Dragon is removed, any chance they rebuild the Hogwarts station? or add another station actually in Hogsmede? And the current station is so simple compared to the other one, as if they were planning on not making it grand all alone. I dont know never seen the movies to their entirety.

Reactions: Joel
The Hogsmeade Station is in the vein of the station shown in the films. The only real difference is the fact it's not further from the village surrounded by a foresty area.
It didn't have to be elaborate because there was no need to hide it - the London Station was a real place where the wizards had to hide the magic at work.

Regardless if we get a Forbidden Forest addition the station may look better next to it. We'll have to see!
No chance they rebuild though, that would hardly make sense...

Thats generous. Mines is about 15 lol.
if Dragon is removed, any chance they rebuild the Hogwarts station? or add another station actually in Hogsmede? And the current station is so simple compared to the other one, as if they were planning on not making it grand all alone. I dont know never seen the movies to their entirety.

The Hogsmeade Station is in the vein of the station shown in the films. The only real difference is the fact it's not further from the village surrounded by a foresty area.
It didn't have to be elaborate because there was no need to hide it - the London Station was a real place where the wizards had to hide the magic at work.

Regardless if we get a Forbidden Forest addition the station may look better next to it. We'll have to see!
No chance they rebuild though, that would hardly make sense...

what @Frogki said.. that's what the station is supposed to be like.

And we should have a thestral drawn carriage ride. It just happens to get jinxed and we end up going through the Forbidden Forrest.

That is an addition I can get behind. If they wanted to go the morbid route, you start off with the carriage "pulling itself", only to see later an unfortunate accident befall someone in the forest, prompting the thestrals to appear. Probably not exactly family friendly, or technologically possible (then again, there's a reason I don't work for UC), but would be a whopper of a ride reveal.

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
I think the whole A - E designation is flawed. It is based on a ride ticket assumption. I mean CoP was always free as a tribute to Walt, if you had Wings was free because it was an Eastern commercial...other rides changes their letters as the park grew/changed.

If HE were based on tickets, it would be the highest designation since some need to upgrade their ticket to ride (so it is the most expensive to ride.

Anyway, me, I'm an odd ball...I get on HE and I'm blown away when the train starts to move. I feel like I'm on a real train because someone figured how to use a bass speaker to vibrate my seat in a way that feels like a train clanking down the tracks...details like that impress the heck out of me...and that is just one of many marvels to me on HE

Go Snow White with it - you die.

You unload and they've used magic to bring you back or something. But as you're waking out you go past a little thestral farm where you can now see them.

Reactions: Stitch_101
I think the whole A - E designation is flawed. It is based on a ride ticket assumption. I mean CoP was always free as a tribute to Walt, if you had Wings was free because it was an Eastern commercial...other rides changes their letters as the park grew/changed.

If HE were based on tickets, it would be the highest designation since some need to upgrade their ticket to ride (so it is the most expensive to ride.

Anyway, me, I'm an odd ball...I get on HE and I'm blown away when the train starts to move. I feel like I'm on a real train because someone figured how to use a bass speaker to vibrate my seat in a way that feels like a train clanking down the tracks...details like that impress the heck out of me...and that is just one of many marvels to me on HE

HE is packed full of detail, even the cloth on the seats is authentic.

:saywhat::saywhat::saywhat::saywhat::saywhat:

:ban:

Compare HM or Pirates to Peter Pan, IASW, LM, etc, and they are great rides. compare them To FJ, Gringotts, Spiderman, etc, and.. not so much. Some of it is the audience they are built for. In a park where they had to double the capacity of a spinner ride, a slow moving dark ride with a bunch of animatronics is going to be seen as phenomenal. But slow moving dark rides with animatronics don't really fit Universal's crowd. Look at ET. It's largely irrelevant. Do you really think that if some scenario had Universal build a HM clone at USF, it would be as popular as it is in MK?

Compare HM or Pirates to Peter Pan, IASW, LM, etc, and they are great rides. compare them To FJ, Gringotts, Spiderman, etc, and.. not so much. Some of it is the audience they are built for. In a park where they had to double the capacity of a spinner ride, a slow moving dark ride with a bunch of animatronics is going to be seen as phenomenal. But slow moving dark rides with animatronics don't really fit Universal's crowd. Look at ET. It's largely irrelevant. Do you really think that if some scenario had Universal build a HM clone at USF, it would be as popular as it is in MK?
Because it sucks compared to Disney's rides of a similar nature. Truth hurts.

Compare HM or Pirates to Peter Pan, IASW, LM, etc, and they are great rides. compare them To FJ, Gringotts, Spiderman, etc, and.. not so much.

That's apples to oranges. The objectives of those Universal rides are completely different than the objectives of Pirates or Haunted Mansion. Those Uni attractions are thrill rides; Disney's are classic dark rides. Both approaches can result in so-called "E tickets."

Because it sucks compared to Disney's rides of a similar nature. Truth hurts.

Not on the same level? Sure. But sucks? Get outta here!

Compare HM or Pirates to Peter Pan, IASW, LM, etc, and they are great rides. compare them To FJ, Gringotts, Spiderman, etc, and.. not so much.
You might as well be comparing something like Vertigo to something like Die Hard... they're both masterpieces of their own genres. All you're really actually doing is just stating you have a preference for the action genre as opposed to, say, the drama thriller genre. I love all of those rides very much for very different reasons, but personally if I were forced to make the choice of destroying Pirates/Haunted Mansion or Spiderman/Forbidden Journey, I'd destroy the Universal choices in a heartbeat even though it would suck immensely to lose them. Attractions like Haunted Mansion and Pirates tap MUCH deeper into a collective consciousness of imagination, drawing upon very broad mythology that's embedded in our culture and crystallizes them into a perfect embodiment of those mythologies. In turn, they've had a huge influence on culture themselves. When you think about a haunted house or pirates in general, tell me your impressions of those haven't been colored by what you've experienced on those rides. Plus they are much more broadly accessible, physically and culturally. You've really had to have experienced the Harry Potter or Spiderman stories firsthand for those attractions to have their full effect, but everyone has an inherent knowledge of the idea of a haunted house or seafaring pirates.

Long story short, you just can't say Pirates/Mansion aren't great when compared to Spiderman/FJ/etc. Well, I take that back, you can say that, and you did, it's just not anything close to resembling a fact.
Some of it is the audience they are built for. In a park where they had to double the capacity of a spinner ride, a slow moving dark ride with a bunch of animatronics is going to be seen as phenomenal. But slow moving dark rides with animatronics don't really fit Universal's crowd. Look at ET. It's largely irrelevant. Do you really think that if some scenario had Universal build a HM clone at USF, it would be as popular as it is in MK?
I think it could easily damn well could be. First off, there's a fair amount of evidence that the general public is unsatisfied with the lack of variety of types of attractions at Universal. People are a bit fatigued by the screen-based, height-restricted, thrill-oriented attractions that Universal has mostly been focusing on for nearly two decades now. People love attractions that are loaded with visceral details (just look at the average Joe soaking in Diagon Alley), and rides like the Haunted Mansion are jam-packed with them. To flip your hypothetical on its head, you can look to Disneyland in California for an inverse example: over the years they have added very successful thrill rides in the vein of Spiderman and Forbidden Journey in the form of Star Tours and the Indiana Jones Adventure, BUT they did not diminish the popularity of Mansion or Pirates whatsoever... they only increased the popularity of the park as a whole. Yes, Universal was trying to grab a particular audience for a while, but they are obviously trying to diversify now, as evidenced by Volcano Bay and Super Nintendo World. They're trying to grab as big a chunk of that family-friendly pie from Disney as they can.

In the case of E.T., unfortunately, I think it suffers from a variety of factors. First, the IP hasn't really stayed in the cultural zeitgeist the way something even like Back to the Future has. Second, they have not made any basic effort to keep it somewhat up-to-date, the way Disney has with new technology and effects on Mansion and Pirates. Third, I think it's in kind of a relatively dead area of the park. Considering all of that, though, I feel like it still actually commands respectable wait times on average.

"E-Ticket" is used to describe how popular an attraction is, not how great the attraction is.
"E-ticket" is used for exactly two things:

1) For Disney marketing to hype (or overhype) their latest attraction.

2) For theme park fans to argue about how popular or great a particular attraction is.

In other words, it serves as no reliable metric to describe anything except any attraction that historically literally required an E-ticket to ride at any of Disney's theme parks.

Reactions: Andysol
In terms of a park or area menu, you match the old ticket book for balance.

An E-ticket is meant to be a lure. A D-ticket is a solid people eating attraction that while not a headliner is frequented by many guests (sometimes just an older E). C-tickets are reliable anchors. B's are diversions and A's are filler.

In terms of percentage of park guests, E's get 60-70% of a park total unless their capacity is out of whack. We tend to think of rides in terms of what would be the original designation bit over time they all slide down. D's are usually older E's. D's are reliable for capacity. C's also do well for capacity but have less draw.

Epcot is the first park with no ticket books but it's easy to illustrate the methodology. E's now are Frozen, Test Track and Soarin. 60-70% of guests unless capacity is out of whack. Spaceship Earth was built as an original E along with Motion and Horizons and so has the insane capacity to do 90% of guests. But in terms of draw it's now firmly in the D category. I'd say Nemo hangs out there too. C's are doing 30-40% - that M:S, Energy, Land boats. Maelstrom was distinctly a C before it closed. B's are the showcase films, and A's are the art galleries and Innoventions type exhibits and post shows.

You might as well be comparing something like Vertigo to something like Die Hard... they're both masterpieces of their own genres. All you're really actually doing is just stating you have a preference for the action genre as opposed to, say, the drama thriller genre. I love all of those rides very much for very different reasons, but personally if I were forced to make the choice of destroying Pirates/Haunted Mansion or Spiderman/Forbidden Journey, I'd destroy the Universal choices in a heartbeat even though it would suck immensely to lose them. Attractions like Haunted Mansion and Pirates tap MUCH deeper into a collective consciousness of imagination, drawing upon very broad mythology that's embedded in our culture and crystallizes them into a perfect embodiment of those mythologies. In turn, they've had a huge influence on culture themselves. When you think about a haunted house or pirates in general, tell me your impressions of those haven't been colored by what you've experienced on those rides. Plus they are much more broadly accessible, physically and culturally. You've really had to have experienced the Harry Potter or Spiderman stories firsthand for those attractions to have their full effect, but everyone has an inherent knowledge of the idea of a haunted house or seafaring pirates.

Long story short, you just can't say Pirates/Mansion aren't great when compared to Spiderman/FJ/etc. Well, I take that back, you can say that, and you did, it's just not anything close to resembling a fact.

I think it could easily damn well could be. First off, there's a fair amount of evidence that the general public is unsatisfied with the lack of variety of types of attractions at Universal. People are a bit fatigued by the screen-based, height-restricted, thrill-oriented attractions that Universal has mostly been focusing on for nearly two decades now. People love attractions that are loaded with visceral details (just look at the average Joe soaking in Diagon Alley), and rides like the Haunted Mansion are jam-packed with them. To flip your hypothetical on its head, you can look to Disneyland in California for an inverse example: over the years they have added very successful thrill rides in the vein of Spiderman and Forbidden Journey in the form of Star Tours and the Indiana Jones Adventure, BUT they did not diminish the popularity of Mansion or Pirates whatsoever... they only increased the popularity of the park as a whole. Yes, Universal was trying to grab a particular audience for a while, but they are obviously trying to diversify now, as evidenced by Volcano Bay and Super Nintendo World. They're trying to grab as big a chunk of that family-friendly pie from Disney as they can.

In the case of E.T., unfortunately, I think it suffers from a variety of factors. First, the IP hasn't really stayed in the cultural zeitgeist the way something even like Back to the Future has. Second, they have not made any basic effort to keep it somewhat up-to-date, the way Disney has with new technology and effects on Mansion and Pirates. Third, I think it's in kind of a relatively dead area of the park. Considering all of that, though, I feel like it still actually commands respectable wait times on average.

I'm not referring to my preferences. I'm talking about WDW vs UOR. Honestly, I'm not as high on Spiderman as most are. It's never been that high on my list, but if you look at ride ratings for the average UOR guest, it's through the roof. You are allowing your preferences for WDW to cloud your views. If the WDW rides had a deeper effect on the collective consciousness or whatever, it's primarily because they've been around a lot longer and they are at Disney, so they have a much bigger fan base. I don't think they are deeper by any means. Your DLR example only reinforces my point, Disney has built a fan base that wants slow moving, animatronic based rides. I mean even the most thrilling rides at those parks you can take backpacks and pretty much whatever you want on the ride itself. The UOR crowd expects a different level of ride. Thats why I say HM in UOR would not be nearly as popular. Your ET vs HM argument is weak as HM has no IP at all. Pirates only really has an IP because they made a movie about it after many years. So what does it matter about the ET IP? Also, what new tech have they added to HM or POTC? I don't recall anything that is new. My argument isn't that the WDW rides are bad, just that they wouldn't appeal to the average UOR guest.

Reactions: UNIrd
Status
Not open for further replies.