Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure | Page 37 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Do you want River Adventure to get the Hollywood treatment or stay JP?

• Keep it JP

Votes: 108 37.4%
  • Bring on the iRex

Votes: 181 62.6%

• Total voters
I'm rather amused it took them this many months to bring back a shaking animatronic that still looks terrible. This is better than nothing obviously but I'm just baffled that much time was spent on basically reskinning the same exact thing that looks this dated. Oh well.
They may be a little busy with a big project that will have a LOT of animatronics. If it's a choice between building something new for the existing park or building something new for Epic, there's a clear priority.

Reactions: tankart150
I just wish they'd bring over the JW redo and put this scene out of its misery. It's never really looked good.

Either that or redesign the screen so it's some triceratops drinking at the lagoon or something. Needs a change.
Or add the baby ultrasaur like USH used to have. That helped mask the limited range of motion from the mother ultrasaur by diverting attention somewhat.

Let's be real - none of that's going to happen - but at least the animatronic is back.
Yes. It's a shame the scene was under designed, because we're stuck with it now. haha

It's a real shame because in theory, it seems like the most perfect and fitting way to open up a ride based on Jurassic Park. Like in the movie, the very first dinosaur we see in the flesh is a giant sauropod in a big open area while the classic booming Jurassic Park theme plays in the background. But yeah, it's a bit jank looking to say the least.

Side note: I always wondered why Universal decided to to go with the Ultrasaurus instead of the more famous and well known Brachiosaurus that actually appears in the movies. Especially since it seems like "Ultrasaurus" isn't even considered a real genus now!

It's a real shame because in theory, it seems like the most perfect and fitting way to open up a ride based on Jurassic Park. Like in the movie, the very first dinosaur we see in the flesh is a giant sauropod in a big open area while the classic booming Jurassic Park theme plays in the background. But yeah, it's a bit jank looking to say the least.

Side note: I always wondered why Universal decided to to go with the Ultrasaurus instead of the more famous and well known Brachiosaurus that actually appears in the movies. Especially since it seems like "Ultrasaurus" isn't even considered a real genus now!
All three herbivores were odd choices when the OG Hollywood version first opened. Ultrasaurs aren’t in any of the movies, stegos didn’t appear until the lost world which hadn’t come out yet and looked nothing like the ones on the ride, and parasaurs only got a 2 second cameo from very far away in the first JP. It would’ve made more sense to do Brachiosaurs and Triceratops.

Also does anyone know the deal with the music? You hear it briefly when the gates open and then it just goes quiet for the rest of the ride. I don’t think Hollywood had this problem. Is it an audio issue they never fixed or is it some weird copyright where they need to pay John Williams if it’s played for more than 5 seconds?

Reactions: tankart150
Also does anyone know the deal with the music? You hear it briefly when the gates open and then it just goes quiet for the rest of the ride. I don’t think Hollywood had this problem. Is it an audio issue they never fixed or is it some weird copyright where they need to pay John Williams if it’s played for more than 5 seconds?
This is a question I've always had too! From what I can tell looking at old home movies posted on YouTube from around the park's opening, it has always been like that (but please please please correct me if I'm wrong, as it is really hard to tell from limited early IoA videos).

If it really is an intentional design choice, the best guess I have as to why is that they wanted a more realistic feel for the IoA version of the ride with less diegetic music. This isn't a set in a studio park, this is the "real" Jurassic Park.

If anyone has an actual explanation though, I'm dying to hear it. Surprisingly little resources on the creation and design intent of the IoA version of the ride, everything out there is 99% about the Hollywood version.

I also don't think it's a copyright issue, but different uses of the same song do require different licenses so technically it wouldn't be out of the question.
It might just be design oversight. Hollywood even had Raptors in the Kitchen playing inside the showbuilding at the top of the lift which is also somehow missing from ours. I also think it’s weird that we don’t have film accurate Dino-noises like Hollywood had. Some of the Dino noises sound more like a Bill Nye episode they’d show you in 5th grade.

I kind of like the more ambient atmosphere, makes it feel more like Kilamanjaro Safari actually going haywire, rather than the usual frantic Universal rides where things go wrong and the film orchestra is just going crazy in the background.

Me too, but the animatronics are not the best and take you out of that atmosphere when you see how janky they move

finally a recent POV. All things considered it still doesn’t look great. Ultrasaur at limited movement, first hadrosaur missing, control booth raptor looking rough, and trex also looking surprisingly rough (which is odd to me since that always seemed to be consistently the best animatronic.)

finally a recent POV. All things considered it still doesn’t look great. Ultrasaur at limited movement, first hadrosaur missing, control booth raptor looking rough, and trex also looking surprisingly rough (which is odd to me since that always seemed to be consistently the best animatronic.)

Regardless, it's so nice to hear that Ultrasaur roar lol