Future of Shrek 4-D Orlando | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Shrek 4-D Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I appreciate that there's a new park coming. And I don't expect some kind of spending bonanza at USF. I understand the resources required to get an entire theme park running.

That doesn't preclude me from not being thrilled about USF's current attractions roster potentially being what it is for another 4 - 5 years, especially when the original plan was for Nintendo to go in there and for a new park to eventually come.

Reactions: Andysol and therock
I appreciate that there's a new park coming. And I don't expect some kind of spending bonanza at USF. I understand the resources required to get an entire theme park running.

That doesn't preclude me from not being thrilled about USF's current attractions roster potentially being what it is for another 4 - 5 years, especially when the original plan was for Nintendo to go in there and for a new park to eventually come.
I mean, yeah, obviously none of us are gonna be "happy" about USF not really getting much new for a bit, but hopefully the end result is worth it. And who knows, maybe we'll get a surprise attraction at some point.

Let's remember though, IOA has only gotten one new ride in the past 9 years since Hogsmeade opened (two if you count HE). Obviously Hagrid and JP coaster will be opening back-to-back, but let's not sit here and act like USF hasn't gotten a TON of love over the past decade. It just may not be exactly what you or I fully wanted as they leaned on screens far too much imo, but they still added a bunch of stuff during the period where IOA effectively got little to nothing and livened up a park that was incredibly dated (and still is in some places).

I mean, yeah, obviously none of us are gonna be "happy" about USF not really getting much new for a bit, but hopefully the end result is worth it. And who knows, maybe we'll get a surprise attraction at some point.

Let's remember though, IOA has only gotten one new ride in the past 9 years since Hogsmeade opened (two if you count HE). Obviously Hagrid and JP coaster will be opening back-to-back, but let's not sit here and act like USF hasn't gotten a TON of love over the past decade. It just may not be exactly what you or I fully wanted as they leaned on screens far too much imo, but they still added a bunch of stuff during the period where IOA effectively got little to nothing and livened up a park that was incredibly dated (and still is in some places).

IOA is a park with a terrific and varied attraction lineup, and could therefore sustain a period of inactivity better than I think USF can in its current state.

But I get what you're saying, and I get that my perspective on USF is not shared by many people here.

IOA is a park with a terrific and varied attraction lineup, and could therefore sustain a period of inactivity better than I think USF can in its current state.

But I get what you're saying, and I get that my perspective on USF is not shared by many people here.

IOA has an entire unused land (Lost Continent), and arguably half of one (Toon Lagoon). I would hope Universal Creative isn’t going to leave it like that for the next 3-5 years...

Look guys, Fant4stic Worlds is eating up so much of the budget over the next few years that i'd really expect nothing and be happily surprised if/when a new ride is announced (besides JP coaster) for the current resort before the new park opens. I mean, lets appreciate the fact that there's a wholly new park coming our way with a boatload of new rides all at once.

I think we're still getting many new additions, they just won't be on the same level. New shows, events, etc. Not like they'll go all WDW on our ass.

I think we're still getting many new additions, they just won't be on the same level. New shows, events, etc. Not like they'll go all WDW on our ass.
Like I said, if we get something, cool. But i'm gonna go in with the mindset that the park is more or less set in stone for a few years after bourne opens. About all i'd expect is Shrek closing for the Dreamworks theater maybe. Or at least something on that level of offering.

Look guys, Fant4stic Worlds is eating up so much of the budget over the next few years that i'd really expect nothing and be happily surprised if/when a new ride is announced (besides JP coaster) for the current resort before the new park opens. I mean, lets appreciate the fact that there's a wholly new park coming our way with a boatload of new rides all at once.
Hagrid's Coaster & the new Potter night show alone will keep the resort hopping and fresh for 2 to 3 years. Jurassic Park coaster & whatever gets done with JPRA another two years. Bourne really doesn't matter much. But that stuff alone will keep the main resort strong until the new FW park opens. These are the type of attractions that will have an effect on driving attendance, unlike the filler attractions of the last couple of years. I love Fallon , but its a small attraction fit into a small footprint, and was never intended to pull in much new attendance. And F&F, well we know how that turned out. So I think the present resort will be fine until FW opens. SLOP addition though would be nice, and easily could be fast tracked to give USF something fairly substantial.

Things I want to see happen in UO:

USF
-Replace Shrek
-Demolish Kidzone completely and replace it with something new. This includes animal actors.
-Demolish Fear Factor and give us another ride
-Replace E.T. and have it connect with whatever replaces kidzone. Unpopular opinion: I know.
-Update the queue for Revenge of the Mummy and update the ride effects.
-Demolish Garden of Allah Villas and replace it with a new show. Not sure if there’s space for it.
-Update the facade for Horror Make Up Show. It’s so bland and uninspired that hardly anybody knows it exists.
-Demolish Mels Drive in and replace it with something more relevant than American Graffiti.

IOA
-JP River Adventure updated to World. Convert the rest of the land to World as well.
-Update Toon Lagoon with more relevant IPs.
-Demolish Toon Theater and replace it with a family dark ride. Water related if possible.
-Update the Cat in the Hat. The ride needs an overhaul.
-Add a Grinch themed dark ride to Seuss Landing.
-Completely demolish every single thing in Lost Continent. Add a new land. Anything.

Please respect my opinions if they differ from yours. Thanks :)

Honestly speaking, they can easily fill in USF for 2021 and 2022 with a new nighttime parade (maybe a clone of Spectacle) and DWT, and call it a day. It wouldn't be large additions, but it'd still be something to keep the park alive. Especially as IOA's likely the last one for anything "Major" in the terms of large-scale captia.

Hell, you don't even have to do DWT directly, and to just do a rotating theater experience like the Osaka Cinema (where they play Sesame Street and Shrek 4D there). And even then, that'd be a better fit than what's currently there.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Honestly speaking, they can easily fill in USF for 2021 and 2022 with a new nighttime parade (maybe a clone of Spectacle) and DWT, and call it a day. It wouldn't be large additions, but it'd still be something to keep the park alive. Especially as IOA's likely the last one for anything "Major" in the terms of large-scale captia.

Hell, you don't even have to do DWT directly, and to just do a rotating theater experience like the Osaka Cinema (where they play Sesame Street and Shrek 4D there). And even then, that'd be a better fit than what's currently there.
A nighttime parade would be lovely, but i'm not quite sure the demand is there for it. Universal has been staying open later, yes, but the problem is to run an electrical parade during the summer, you can't even start the parade until 8:30 or 9 on some nights and then still have CineCele after it? It would be a great addition, but i'm not sure if a parade is going to keep any more people around than otherwise would have at that point, especially since people tend to leave theme parks after parades.

Mardi Gras works well as a nighttime parade, but once it starts staying sunny later and later, it becomes impossible to run everything without keeping the park open until 11 or so. 10 is really the latest that UOR likes to stay open unless it's like July 4th or NYE.

I'm still of the opinion that we will see Pets replace Shrek but it's just a matter of when. We know that management is waiting for the USH Jurassic to open before revamping the one in Orlando to gauge customer response and react accordingly to avoid another Supercharged fiasco. Assuming Pets opens to great reviews and GSAT scores I'm going to bet that we see Pets come to USF as a 2022 addition. It would be perfect timing if we assume Fantastic Worlds is slated for 2023. I also don't see why they would put it in Kidzone when they could put it right across the street from Minion Mayhem.

A nighttime parade would be lovely, but i'm not quite sure the demand is there for it. Universal has been staying open later, yes, but the problem is to run an electrical parade during the summer, you can't even start the parade until 8:30 or 9 on some nights and then still have CineCele after it? It would be a great addition, but i'm not sure if a parade is going to keep any more people around than otherwise would have at that point, especially since people tend to leave theme parks after parades.

Mardi Gras works well as a nighttime parade, but once it starts staying sunny later and later, it becomes impossible to run everything without keeping the park open until 11 or so. 10 is really the latest that UOR likes to stay open unless it's like July 4th or NYE.
Make the current parade better first I say

Things I want to see happen in UO:

-Demolish Fear Factor and give us another ride
-Replace E.T. and have it connect with whatever replaces kidzone. Unpopular opinion: I know.
-Demolish Garden of Allah Villas and replace it with a new show. Not sure if there’s space for it.
-Update the facade for Horror Make Up Show. It’s so bland and uninspired that hardly anybody knows it exists.
-Demolish Mels Drive in and replace it with something more relevant than American Graffiti.
All of these things are one big NO.
-Fear Factor does not have enough space to fit any sort of ride outside of a spinner.
-Stephen Spielberg will remove all of this other properties from USF and USH if they close E.T. sorry.
-That's going to be a very small theater fam. There are too many unused venues already available for shows as it is.
-The Pantages Theater is iconic, learn your history, also the show is extremely popular.
-Mels is still relevant and is a massive part of Horror Nights tradition.

In other words no, no, and no.

-Fear Factor does not have enough space to fit any sort of ride outside of a spinner.
-Stephen Spielberg will remove all of this other properties from USF and USH if they close E.T. sorry.
-That's going to be a very small theater fam. There are too many unused venues already available for shows as it is.
-The Pantages Theater is iconic, learn your history, also the show is extremely popular.

In other words no, no, and no.

I’m fairly certain there is no actual proof Spielberg ever said that.

upload_2019-4-19_21-15-27.png

I don't believe he has actually been quoted with that. And to be technically honest, it's not exactly just "His" properties.

Also to bring up..I am not going to discourage the Pantages relevancy in Hollywood, because it is iconic for a myriad of reasons that do not exclusively pertain to Universal. And when it comes to the Allah/La Bamba, that space isn't exactly much to use for when it comes to Universal, unless if the two are mixed in a project that takes the both of them out.

The only things that Mels have been iconic for in film, have been primarily in part by American Grafitti, and is a small chain of 8 locations in the South/Northern Californian area's. And as far as traditions go, the DIE tradition should not matter as much as you are thinking of.

I'm still of the opinion that we will see Pets replace Shrek but it's just a matter of when. We know that management is waiting for the USH Jurassic to open before revamping the one in Orlando to gauge customer response and react accordingly to avoid another Supercharged fiasco. Assuming Pets opens to great reviews and GSAT scores I'm going to bet that we see Pets come to USF as a 2022 addition. It would be perfect timing if we assume Fantastic Worlds is slated for 2023. I also don't see why they would put it in Kidzone when they could put it right across the street from Minion Mayhem.

Honestly, I think if it's going to be Pets (if the GSATS for Hollywood are strong), it'd be a Transformers situation.

Last edited:
Dream of mine would be to:

Put DreamWorks theater on the Production Central side of Shrek, in theater 1. Then put Sing On Tour in Hollywood in theater 2. Both dump out into the same gift shop with split merchandise.

Build a new show building for SLOP behind the NYC Library facade/ stage 33