Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Shrek 4-D Orlando

Look guys, Fant4stic Worlds is eating up so much of the budget over the next few years that i'd really expect nothing and be happily surprised if/when a new ride is announced (besides JP coaster) for the current resort before the new park opens. I mean, lets appreciate the fact that there's a wholly new park coming our way with a boatload of new rides all at once.

Like I said, if we get something, cool. But i'm gonna go in with the mindset that the park is more or less set in stone for a few years after bourne opens. About all i'd expect is Shrek closing for the Dreamworks theater maybe. Or at least something on that level of offering.

There is absolutely no way Universal is just going to sit status quo with Hagrids and JP. Absolutely no way.

As if they’re just going to sit in the wings while Disney beats the piss out of them and gets 100% of the marketing?
Let’s give UOR the benefit of the doubt and say SW:GE and Hagrids is a wash. It isn’t, of course, but the WWoHP is going to get a ton of bleedover from the Star Wars crowds. It was a brilliant move on their part targeting WWoHP as their marketing focus.

We aren’t seeing the new UOR park open until 2023 at the earliest.
So...
How do they counter MMRR and Rat for 2020?
How do they counter Tron, GotG and the multitude of things for WDW’s 50th in 2021?

If your only answer is “JP coaster”, then that’s equal parts hilarious and ridiculous. And if your answer is a possible parade or new show, I’ll continue my bewilderment as WDW will have a plethora of shows and other enhancements/replacements as well.

UOR isn’t going to just sit there for the Next 4-5 years and say “no need to come here during this time, but trust us... in 2023 or beyond, it’s gonna be great!”

They’re going to do another major attraction of some sort. If they didn’t, then they are completely incompetent and just content with sitting in obscurity and afterthought for around half a decade. I don’t believe they are either.

There is absolutely no way Universal is just going to sit status quo with Hagrids and JP. Absolutely no way.

As if they’re just going to sit in the wings while Disney beats the piss out of them and gets 100% of the marketing?
Let’s give UOR the benefit of the doubt and say SW:GE and Hagrids is a wash. It isn’t, of course, but the WWoHP is going to get a ton of bleedover from the Star Wars crowds. It was a brilliant move on their part targeting WWoHP as their marketing focus.

We aren’t seeing the new UOR park open until 2023 at the earliest. So...

How do they counter MMRR + Rat for 2020?
How do they counter Tron, GotG and the multitude of things for WDW’s 50th in 2021?

If your only answer is “JP coaster”, then thats hilarious to think that. And if your answer is a possible parade or new show, I’ll also continue laughing as WDW will have a plethora of shows and other enhancements/replacements as well.

UOR isn’t going to just sit there for the Next 4-5 years and say “no need to come here during this time, but trust us... in 2023 or beyond, it’s gonna be great!”
They’re going to do something. If they didn’t, then they are completely incompetent and just content with sitting in obscurity and afterthought for around half a decade.

Outside of the "incompetent" and "sitting in obscurity and afterthought for another half a decade" I agree, there's more coming.

In terms of history we usually hear something about a new attraction 6-12 months prior to closure then it's around 16-24 months of construction till opening. That means we could hear of a new project this summer and have an opening in 2021 or 2022. Universal has a tighter lid on things than Disney does (minus the new park) so I tend not to worry about their long term prospects anymore.

Shrek was close.. Really close.

But that idea is now :rip:
Honestly they should just break down and re-do it to Dreamworks theater
What do you think was RIP'd?

To clarify... the idea that is now dead was replacing Shrek with the Dreamworks Theater?

Good.

Just swapping out one screen-based show for another screen-based show is not what would be the most effective usage of Shrek's prime real estate at the front of the park.

We aren’t seeing the new UOR park open until 2023 at the earliest.
So...
How do they counter MMRR and Rat for 2020?

If your only answer is “JP coaster”, then that’s equal parts hilarious and ridiculous. And if your answer is a possible parade or new show, I’ll continue my bewilderment as WDW will have a plethora of shows and other enhancements/replacements as well.

They’re going to do another major attraction of some sort. If they didn’t, then they are completely incompetent and just content with sitting in obscurity and afterthought for around half a decade. I don’t believe they are either.

I can't believe Disney has taken the strategy they have.

I mean, Disney is putting so much effort into their projects for the next few years, they surely won't have anything for 2023 that's capable of countering the opening of Fantastic Worlds.

So they're going to "sit the wings" by not opening a new park in 2023 while Universal "beats the piss out of them" by opening the giant new Fantastic Worlds?

:thud:
----------------------------

You win some, you lose some. UOR will be fine.

I can't believe Disney has taken the strategy they have.

I mean, Disney is putting so much effort into their projects for the next few years, they surely won't have anything for 2023 that's capable of countering the opening of Fantastic Worlds.

So they're going to "sit the wings" by not opening a new park in 2023 while Universal "beats the piss out of them" by opening the giant new Fantastic Worlds?

:thud:
----------------------------

You win some, you lose some. UOR will be fine.

Disney already let that happen once. I don’t see them allowing it to happen again. We’ll know for sure after D23 in August. I’d guess we get a new pavilion, but there’s no way I see them sitting in the wings while Universal brings their (likely groundbreaking) brand new park up.
Just like I don’t think Universal will stand aside while Disney opens multiple attractions every year up to that date.

That was my point. @Nick is thinking they won’t add anything until the new park, and I strongly disagree. To do nothing would be idiotic. And I don’t believe Universal is idiotic.

Disney already let that happen once. I don’t see them allowing it to happen again. We’ll know for sure after D23 in August. I’d guess we get a new pavilion, but there’s no way I see them sitting in the wings while Universal brings their (likely groundbreaking) brand new park up.
Just like I don’t think Universal will stand aside while Disney opens multiple attractions every year up to that date.

That was my point. @Nick is thinking they won’t add anything until the new park, and I strongly disagree. To do nothing would be idiotic. And I don’t believe Universal is idiotic.

Universal isn't adding "nothing". Within the next three years (2019-2021) they have Hagrid's, the JP Coaster, and the T2 Replacement. Then they take 1-2 years off (2021-2022), letting Disney "beat" them those years, because they will "beat" Disney big time in 2023 when Fantastic Worlds opens.

I don't understand why you are dismissing Universal's additions for the next few years as insufficient to compete with WDW's new rides, while also suggesting that a new Disney pavilion would be enough to provide meaningful competition to Fantastic Worlds.

I don't understand why you are dismissing Universal's additions for the next few years as insufficient to compete with WDW's new rides, while also suggesting that a new Disney pavilion would be enough to provide meaningful competition to Fantastic Worlds.
It's almost as if they don't care about each other anymore

Re-read my post.

I never said that I thought they won’t add anything. I said that after JP Coaster, my expectations are currently low. I’m sure we’ll get something, I’m just not expecting anything crazy.

SLoP

Dreamworks would make more sense for the space

Who knows, maybe SLoP could take FFL

As it stands, both were "RIP'd."

DreamWorks Theater was the more recent plan.

So the current plan is that there is no plan for Shrek in the near term?

Not good.

So y'all should buy me more red wine because I'm in a mood.

So lets do story time kids. A version of Secret Life of Pets for the lower lot at USH was developed over the years by Orland's UC group. The leaked versions of the attraction were all from them: trackless AA focus, revamped mixed media, then the "hey lets do VR on a trackless" versions was all Orlando UC. After these versions they were scrapped and the new West Coast UC took over the project and made up the current plans for JW and SLoP. I think that's why there's a huge holding pattern on the rides at UOR and we'll know more in a year. I think Orlando parks and UC are being protective and West Coast wants to prove their worth. It's also why @Andy is being a cheerleader for USH more than normal in regards to attractions and such. It's a very interesting time for the Universal parks and I hope the best attractions, no matter who designs them, comes out.

tl;dr

SLoP at USH and UOR initial plans were killed. Then it turned into DreamWorks at Shrek and that was chucked after the projection media rejection from the GP. Now it sounds like it's going to be either a new attraction or they're waiting for feedback on West Coast's UC SLoP.

So lets do story time kids. A version of Secret Life of Pets for the lower lot at USH was developed over the years by Orland's UC group. The leaked versions of the attraction were all from them: trackless AA focus, revamped mixed media, then the "hey lets do VR on a trackless" versions was all Orlando UC. After these versions they were scrapped and the new West Coast UC took over the project and made up the current plans for JW and SLoP. I think that's why there's a huge holding pattern on the rides at UOR and we'll know more in a year. I think Orlando parks and UC are being protective and West Coast wants to prove their worth. It's also why @Andy is being a cheerleader for USH more than normal in regards to attractions and such. It's a very interesting time for the Universal parks and I hope the best attractions, no matter who designs them, comes out.

tl;dr

SLoP at USH and UOR initial plans were killed. Then it turned into DreamWorks at Shrek and that was chucked after the projection media rejection from the GP. Now it sounds like it's going to be either a new attraction or they're waiting for feedback on West Coast's UC SLoP.

Definitely a interesting scenario that's gone down, hopefully it all works out. Either way, with this and JW you can see the effects of FatF where they really don't want another scenario of building a attraction for both parks and risk finding out it's a flop when the first one opens.

tl;dr

Interesting. Has orlando UC always been the more media/screen heavy of the 2? Is the west coast team newer? Trackless virtual reality seems like a huge pointless waste of money.

Universal isn't adding "nothing". Within the next three years (2019-2021) they have Hagrid's, the JP Coaster, and the T2 Replacement. Then they take 1-2 years off (2021-2022), letting Disney "beat" them those years, because they will "beat" Disney big time in 2023 when Fantastic Worlds opens.
I never said that.

I never did that.

tl;dr

So Shrek will be with us for a while

TPU strikes again